Kilrathi Saga annoying problem

macnbc

Spaceman
I'm having a rather annoying problem in Kilrathi Saga.

When playing WC1, on some occassions after blowing up an enemy fighter, a victory cue will play. Then repeat. Then repeat again. The same stupid 5 second cue keeps repeating, over and over again, until either I die or land at the end of the mission.

It only happens on one certain musical cue, no others.

Anybody know any way to work around this?

While on the topic of music though, I've noticed on occassion certain tracks like to repeat the last 2 or 3 seconds before switching over to a different one. Is this related?

System information:
PIII 1.13 GHz
380 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro
Integrated sound card

Yeah, as far as I know the victory cue repeating just happens once in a while. I've only had it happen two or three times in all the times I've played WC1 KS over the years. I think it's just an infrequent bug we have to deal with. As for tracks repeating themselves for the last 2-3 seconds a couple of times, that also happens to me. My theory is that your CDROM drive needs time to spin up. I notice you have a newer computer according to your system specs.
This never happened in the old days, but now most newer CDROM drives are automatically configured to stop spinning when they haven't been accessed after a period of time. It's designed as a power saving measure, and also to reduce general heat in your computer case.
As we all get tons of RAM and super fast new CDROM drives (greater cache and buffering), there's less activity going on that requires constant use of the CDROM drive, so it falls dormant rather frequently. When there is call to use it after a period of dormancy, like when a game (ie KS) wants to switch a music track, the CDROM drive itself needs to start spinning the disk again, and this takes about two or three seconds.

That would explain the last few seconds looping. Thank you.

However the victory track looping is NOT infrequent in my case, I'd say it happens maybe once out of every two or three flights. It gets VERY annoying VERY quickly.

agreed my brother, it does get annoying, it has become part of my superstition. I believe that when the people are running to the ships after the briefing, if the guy in front has a helmet on then the mission will not go well, if he has a cap then it will be ok and if he has nothing then I will kick ass and get a medal. Same with the music looping, when it starts I know I am going to die. Odd.

Try WC2 and see if the keyboard controls are really bad for you too, it really upset me after paying millions of squid for saga on ebay.

I've emailed origin about some time after the release of the game. The tech support person was nice, but said there was no patch in the works. This error occurs when you destroy the last enemy fighter and it's fleeing.

Delance said:
I've emailed origin about some time after the release of the game. The tech support person was nice, but said there was no patch in the works. This error occurs when you destroy the last enemy fighter and it's fleeing.

I've been playing KS again recently, and yes, this bug only happens in the WC1 games, and happens EVERY time the above specified victory loop is played. It's terrible. My solution is to hit CTRL+M to turn off music. Then you can just switch it on before you land.

Back