Kilrathi racial variation

Flying Target

Swabbie
Banned
Are there lots of different types of Cat, the same as there are lots of types of human?

In WC3 they all have that lion-esque appearance and are far larger than us, plus kinda ungainly (probably due to technical costume constraints than intention). WC1 cutscenes have them roughly human-sized and I don't think they had tails. The books have 'em big, with variations mostly in the markings, the exception being Jukaga's clan who are a bit effete by Furball standards. WC Academy cartoon has them like that too, only less fluffy. In WC2 the Emperor kinda looked more tiger-like to me than a lion. The cat aces in the WC1 manual (Claw Marks) look like all sorts, mainly tiger (Bhurak and Khajja) and lion (Baktosh) to my eyes.

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm thinking that maybe just like us, the Kitties have quite considerable variations in their appearance, size and build: the Cats we saw in WC3 were mainly of the Kiranka hrai perhaps, so they were more bulky, while the WC1 human-sized marines were from a clan/racial group that is smaller and more nimble? It would also explain why Dakhath "Deathstroke" nar Sihkag looks like a very angry Sylvester.

Extract from Blood of the Emperor, Chapter 6:

<< ‘What the hell?’ said Ted as a small group of black-clad, helmeted figures emptied out.

‘That looks like trouble,’ warned Jez, looking at them intently.

‘Say hello to the Sihkag clan’s finest,’said McManus. ‘That’s why there’s two Field teams here.’

‘They look different,’ observed Weps. ‘Not like most Cats I’ve seen.’

Indeed they did. Unlike most Kilrathi, these newcomers were no larger than humans and had no tails. If it had not been for the way their legs were jointed, for they were digitigrades that walked on their actual toes like Terran felines, they might have passed for men. On closer inspection, the way they stood also gave them away; they looked as though they were ready to pounce at any moment.

‘Lets get over there, and for Heaven’s sake don’t provoke them,’ ordered McManus, shouldering his weapon where he could access it quickly if needed.

The team followed his example, spreading out just behind him and moving up to reinforce the police cordon around the van. Holding his hands aloft, the special field agent entered the ring of cops by a few steps and stood, waiting for one of the Cats to approach. One, evidently the leader, prowled forward, pulling off his helmet to reveal a small, vicious-looking face with sharp fangs permanently on display, long black fur striped with pure white cascading out to make his head look far larger than it was. Intensely dark, soulless eyes peered out at the agent. >>

Back