Kilrathi names

McGruff

Banned
In all of the Wing Commander material that I have seen up to now, Kilrathi names have ended in nar this or nar that: Hhallas, Caxki, Kiranka, etc. to designate a particular clan membership or planet of birth.

Now I've just started reading False Colors and there are names like Largka Cakg dai Nokhtak and Nrallos lan Vharr. Just wondering if one of the resident experts can explain the difference?

They're some form of honorific, though no one knows exactly how the system. The five new ones that False Colors introduces are lan, dai, ko, jaq and lak.

A name can have more than one honorific - for instance, Ukar dai Ragark lak Haka.

There are also Kilrathi who explicitly have *no* honorific - ie, Najji Ragitagha and Dawx Jhorrad. This apparently means that they are not of noble birth at all.

I always loved the name Bahktosh Redclaw and Buhrak Starkiller, both of them Kilrathi Aces in WC1. I imagine they were more "notorious" and thus were given those names more as code names for Terran purposes then anything else.

Just lik e"Heart of hte Tiger"

Redclaw is the literal translation of Bahktosh's clan, nar Kiranka. That's why Thrakhath et. al's clan logo is a big red claw.

Just a question slightly off topic, would Kilrathi nobles only ever become pilots. Are any of the Kilrathi aces actually not born of any nobility but earnt their respect through their flying?

DyNaMiX: yes, there is at least a few known cases of this. For example, there's Najji Ragitagha whom LOAF already mentioned (although I think this one's a bit iffy... in my opinion, it seems more likely that the people compiling the Victory Streak simply slipped up, because it would be weird for a commoner to use the name of a noble clan as his surname). I believe also at least one of the WC2 Kilrathi aces was mentioned as being a commoner (Kur Human-Killer?). And of course, if Dawx Jhorrad became the captain of a dreadnought in spite of his birth, we can assume that in general, low birth does not stop highly-talented Kilrathi from reaching higher ranks and fame.

McGruff said:
So I take it the nars are the most noble of the honorifics?
According to available information, nar means simply belonging to a certain clan. So, rather than beiong the most noble of the honorifics, most likely it is the most generic, because (as I understand it) all Kilrathi are associated with a clan in one way or another.

Probably the best way to understand how all this works amongst the Kilrathi is to look at similar societies on Earth. If you look at tribal societies on Earth, they very often have rather complex social systems - a person belongs to a tribe, a clan within that tribe, a specific matrilineal group, a specific patrilineal group, sometimes some additional structures... and then, on top of that, he's also identified by the name of one of his parents (e.g., Osama, son of Laden). So, as you can imagine, there's like a dozen different honorifics that can be used... and that's not even including "special" titles ("defender of", "destroyer of", et cetera).

Of course, just understanding where all this honorific variety might come from (might - because obviously we can't be sure) doesn't help us all that much, since we still don't know what all these specific honorifics mean.

Back