Kilrathi Damage

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Just because I think it's interesting:
Comparison shots of the Kilrathi ship from the WC3 endgame. In the first set, it's when you get captured and lose, the second is from the winning end where the kilrathi ship is damaged and Melek tractors you in after you destroy kilrah.

It's kind of cool all the little details in there, and I have no idea why they're mirrored from eachother.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PDVD_003.JPG
    PDVD_003.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 146
  • PDVD_000.JPG
    PDVD_000.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 504
  • PDVD_002.JPG
    PDVD_002.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 520
  • PDVD_001.JPG
    PDVD_001.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 166
I saw the damage immediately when I first played WC3 through (which is probably not that big a feat but I tend to miss such details) and thought that it was indeed pretty nice to put in these details.

Cool to look at it in these pictures with enough time to appreciate it fully.

Any idea what happened to that ship after that point? Perhaps scrapped as part of the treaty? Scuttled to prevent it from falling in to human hands? Just scrapped because the Kilrathi couldn't afford the upkeep?

It would make sense that it's mirrored if one view is looking out one end, and the other is after turning around to look out the other end.

It would make sense that it's mirrored if one view is looking out one end, and the other is after turning around to look out the other end.

Except you should see the the engine section when looking out the other end. But maybe its there, just not lit up.
Could be a whole different ship altogether, its not like the Kilrathi care much about symmetry.

Except you should see the the engine section when looking out the other end. But maybe its there, just not lit up.
Could be a whole different ship altogether, its not like the Kilrathi care much about symmetry.

It's definitely not a different ship though, since this is thrakhath's ship, which Melek serves on. While the opposite ends idea sounds good to me, it doesn't entirely make sense looking at the pictures either. That would mean there's an identical round red thing on the ceiling at each end of the flight deck for one... possible I guess.

Well, he could have changed ships, which is very unlikely, but not as unlikely as completely rebuilding the ship. I think we need another screenshot showing the hangar from the outside, that should settle it. Meanwhile, don't remember the whole cutscene in all its detail, but just judging from the screenshot it *could* work like that if all the windows and glowy stuff in the aft sections are offline. Again we need another screenshot as confirmation, but i'm unable to find my CD with Queeg's movie on it right now.

Attachments

• PDVD_002 edit.JPG
    PDVD_002 edit.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 154
Wow cool! I diden't notice that before? Do you think it's the exact same dreadnaught as seen in the intro? (as in: did Melik jump ship to the ummm, safer dreadnaught!)

Looking at the screenshot I don't think it's strictly mirrored, but rather just rotated 180 degrees. I say this by looking at the windows closest to the screen edge. There's also the missing black gadget on the bottom part of the same wall. However, I don't think we're looking aft. Even if all the windows were out we'd still see the aft section if it were there. Wing Commander isn't known for having such horrible lighting that big elements like that just vanish from view. Rather I think what we're seeing is a dangling light fixture and loose cable.

The image is mirrored if it was rotated 180 the opening would retain same shape as the clean version but if you look at both screenshots you can see the same details on the opposite walls, and if you was that way inclined i dare you to put a mirror up aganst the screen against the edge of the undamaged shot and find out for yourself!!!

Of course its mirrored, and probably just a minor goof. But we wouldn't be true fans if we didn't try to bring canonical sense into everything we see.
Technically it isn't even a real goof, since its two completely different endings, each might have another history or different Kilrathi engineers.
OK first screenshot shows the "Good Ending" Dreadnought from the outside, which should proof that we're looking out the front. The second is from the intro, so if all Dreadnoughts are built the same then the "Bad Ending" should be looking the other way. Which is even more confusing since the Dreadnought was in perfect shape then, the engine section should be fully visible.

EDIT: Woops, didn't check the first post again, is the first image from the bad ending?

Attachments

• bscap0012.jpg
    bscap0012.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 114
  • bscap0010.jpg
    bscap0010.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 111
I would assume the mirroring was intentional - you know, what with the good ending being a mirror image of the bad ending :).

The image is mirrored if it was rotated 180 the opening would retain same shape as the clean version but if you look at both screenshots you can see the same details on the opposite walls, and if you was that way inclined i dare you to put a mirror up aganst the screen against the edge of the undamaged shot and find out for yourself!!!

I am inclined to go by the landmarks. In a scene that is mostly gray that happens to be the windows and lights. Brightened in photoshop the rest is mirrored... but not the windows. See my marked version. I put an arrow on the ones that appear to match if the scene were rotated 180 degrees rather than mirrored. However, even that doesn't really line up, does it?

Attachments

• dread-windows-odd.jpg
    dread-windows-odd.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 124
I am inclined to go by the landmarks. In a scene that is mostly gray that happens to be the windows and lights. Brightened in photoshop the rest is mirrored... but not the windows. See my marked version. I put an arrow on the ones that appear to match if the scene were rotated 180 degrees rather than mirrored. However, even that doesn't really line up, does it?

Can't say I agree about your assessment of how the windows line up. Just to make it a little easier for everyone, here's a mirrored version of the Damaged one along with the other. Now I'm pretty sure the main difference in perspective seems to be that the damaged one is shifted slightly to the right (right in the mirrored image) at a minutely different angle. Even that section of black tubes on the right in the Clean version are scattered on the ground in matching section in the damaged one. There's other matching details in the flipped versions. There's the tubes on the left, the large black outline on the large bay door on the left... the red thing, the lights position. The grey section with the triangular ends on the top right. Strangely though, the stars match only when reversed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PDVD_002a.JPG
    PDVD_002a.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 312
That sounds reasonable, the stars probably were just a background picture and only the 3D objects mirrored before rendering (for whatever reason).

It occured to me to check and see if the exteriors are also mirrored where we *do* see them. Here's a few comparison shots:

First have a look at these two shots of the front of the ship from the game's intro.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note that the red blob is clearly visible on the left side. OOOH! That means it would be on the right if we were inside on the other side of it looking out the front of the ship, which happens to match to... The damaged ship in the winning end game. So apparently it's the losing end game that has the ship mirrored. Further, compare the angles on the flight deck entrance of the damaged ship shot to the actual angles seen in the intro. They match too. The higher side is on the left in the intro compared to on the right seen from the inside of the damaged ship.

attachment.php

dreadnoughtdamage6.jpg

And because somebody asked if we ever see the ship from behind... well yes, yes we do! Not only can you land in the rear flight deck in-game, you can see it briefly in the losing endgame as the fleet reaches earth. There isn't any evidence that you can fly through the forward flight deck though... You can't really tell what the back end of that section looks like.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PDVD_000.JPG
    PDVD_000.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 246
  • PDVD_001.JPG
    PDVD_001.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 246
  • PDVD_002.JPG
    PDVD_002.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 242
  • PDVD_003.JPG
    PDVD_003.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
That reminds me, which ship was it that took a fragment from Kilrah right on one of the struts, was that the same ship?

Back