Kevin Tolwyn

Does anyone know what happened to Kevin after Admiral Tolwyn was court marshaled and hung himself? Just curious as to what would have happened to him since then.

As indicated by the introduction to Action Stations he had become a Commodore by 2678. We don't know which nation's military he was in at that point.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No, he was always in the Navy.

He was always in the Navy? He was a fighter pilot in every book I read, except for WC3 in which he was working for his uncle on the Behemoth project. Last book I read he was a Major which IIRC is a space forces rank.

This is the way I understood it, at least according to the WC3 book and my KS literature.
The Pilots have separate rank system from the the T.C.N. line officers. In the WC3 book Blair was a Colonel and Eisen was a Captain. The either WC3, or End Run I can't remeber which, stated that the rank of Colonel was the same level as Captain. They were however in different branches of the same service.
It's also been alluded to suggestion that while a Colonel is the Wing Commander he\she will always suborn to the orders of the commander of thier ship, unless he's a total smeghead like O'brian was. Also an Admiral would be subordinate to the orders of an Ensign while riding passenger in the Ensigns fighter.
So there are two separate rank systems for pilots and capship commanders.
That's why Blair was a Commodore in Prophecy. He retired from the flight corps. and took a line commission. So it can be assumed that at some point Kevin left the flight corps. for a line commission.

Originally posted by Shaggy
It's also been alluded to suggestion that while a Colonel is the Wing Commander he\she will always suborn to the orders of the commander of thier ship, unless he's a total smeghead like O'brian was. Also an Admiral would be subordinate to the orders of an Ensign while riding passenger in the Ensigns fighter.
No alluding necessary. That's pretty much standard. The captain is the captain of his boat, and while a ranking officer can make "suggestions" about how things ought to be run, the captain is still the person who has final say on everything.
That's why Blair was a Commodore in Prophecy. He retired from the flight corps. and took a line commission. So it can be assumed that at some point Kevin left the flight corps. for a line commission.

Probably took a promotion that took him off the flight roster. Commander of the fighters on board a carrier or base is about as high as an officer can expect to go before being promoted off the flight roster. If Blair had stuck around in the service after the Kilrathi War, there's a good chance that a promotion would have pushed him into desk duty on board a carrier somewhere (although he always could have declined it).

All of my knowledge of WC ranks comes straight out of the Victory Streaks manual. It shows the TCN ranks along the same lines of todays US Navy and Space Forces ranks along the same lines of todays US Army and Air Force.

Therefore, if I see Tolwyn as a major, I look to the Victory Streaks and I see Major under space forces. I see colonel under space forces as well.

It doesn't make anywhere near that much sense.

The characters in Forstchen's books (End Run, Fleet Action) all have naval ranks, pilot or not. Pilots also have naval ranks in the movie and the Kilrathi Saga manual... but pilots has Space Forces ranks in the game-based books and in the games...

I got my infor from victory streak as well, albeit the Kilrathi Saga bound set.
Blair did leave the flight corps after WC4 and was given a line commission while the design and construction of the Midway was carried out.
So he wasn't exactly promoted to Commodore, at least according to the games.
I think if you stay in the pilot corps too long they either boot you out, sort of mandatory retirement, or youget a line commission.

Originally posted by junior

No alluding necessary. That's pretty much standard. The captain is the captain of his boat, and while a ranking officer can make "suggestions" about how things ought to be run, the captain is still the person who has final say on everything.

Except when it's not! It's made quite clear that, at least in the Landreich military, a Wing Commander is on equal footing to the Captain, and is under the command of the battle group commander. There are also a number of times when the Captain *does not* have final say in matters. These include, as the first example that comes to mind, ship maneuvering during flight launch and retrieval. Captains *do* have absolute say, however, when there's a stupidly expensive piece of equipment filling the launch bay and he wants an Admiral to rip it apart! (Assuming the Admiral doesn't put up much of a fight)

Blair was promoted to Brigadier General after WCIV, and then he transferred his comission to the Navy to work on Midway. Simple as that...

I think if you stay in the pilot corps too long they either boot you out, sort of mandatory retirement, or youget a line commission.
I don't think they'd hold too hard on this rule in a wartime situation.

Back