Just wondering what was new...

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Haven't heard anything out of you guys in a little bit....

just curious as to what was happening in the standoff world....

Not much. Eder is busy as hell with college--I hear it is all that reading they force freshman to go through ;) .

Also, Quarto is super busy and hardly able to touch the computer let alone use it. :D

As for everybody else, I don't know.
Ask "Busy as Hell" Eder or "Can't touch computer" Quarto to find out. :D :D

Just kidding guys. ;)

But these two are pretty busy with other stuff to do much with computers let alone Standoff.

We are making progress. Not as much as we used to, but still a lot. For example, Tango this week completed a sim mission (the flight sim will not be available in the prologue, but it will be there in the main campaign) and has started on another one. Tango has also been getting the hang of DLL patching, which is exceedingly important considering HCl's lack of time. Meanwhile, I'm working on producing the remaining mission outlines for the main campaign (also very important, as it is a prerequisite for voiceover recording), and Eder's... well, not sure, but I'm guessing he's somewhere between Adam Smith and Ricardo :p.

What about the voiceovers? Eder said a while ago they were the biggest job still to do in the Prologue...

That's a good question - and the fact that it is a good question is probably not a good indication of progress :p. To be honest, I simply don't know what is going on with the voiceovers at the moment - I know Tempest is supposed to be organising them now, but since he talks directly to Eder (who hasn't been online that much lately), I have no idea how that's going. One thing I can say about voiceovers, though, is that we're doing everything we can to ensure that Overmortal is able to record as many of his lines as possible before he disappears - that's why I've been concentrating on mission outlines lately.

As Quarto said I'm working in SIM missions, one is finished (pay one and get three jeje :), Q could know why three...)
Also I'm working on STANDOFF.DLL, geting UE functions and input into standoff.dll and adding functions created by me too.
I finished the Main Campaign missions path (excepted mission 1 that's on PopsiclePete hand), I'll send to Quarto all mission to a final review for him when the prologue is finished I guess.

Well, how you can see I'm working full. :)

Quarto said:
we're doing everything we can to ensure that Overmortal is able to record as many of his lines as possible before he disappears -

Hey Quarto, I'm in the same ballpark too, so I'm be around for just a bit longer if you guys need me to re-record anything or record anything new.

Starkey said:
What about the voiceovers? Eder said a while ago they were the biggest job still to do in the Prologue...
True. Personally, I would already have cut out all voiceovers except cutscenes and briefings, and made everyone's life a bit easier... Anyway, Tempest's been working on organizing them for only a couple of days now, though... it took me a while to be able to upload all of the files. The main problem is that we're likely to be some lines short, which will lead us back to asking people for lines, which means we'll have to wait for more lines from people which may or may not be too responsive. Then, while we wait on the missing lines, we gotta make sure all the current lines sound acceptable and etc., but hopefully Tempest will be able to handle that part by himself while I'm elsewhere doing even less fun things. ;)

Quarto said:
Eder's... well, not sure, but I'm guessing he's somewhere between Adam Smith and Ricardo :p.
I'll be done with Ricardo tomorrow, next up is Marx - your personal favorite, right? :p

A bit of good news is I'm working on an extra model in my spare time, it might be included in the main campaign if it turns out nicely. Modelling is a nice change from everything else related to modding right now. :p

Hey everyone.

As you've heard, I have the voiceover organisation gig right now, and from what I understand, the quicker we get this part done, the sooner we get a prologue release (as the voiceover work is the considerable hurdle to cross right now). This means that some time in the nearby future, I'm going to need a few voices. Mostly just generic stuff, from what I've derived so far, but we'll see.

I've been very busy at university recently, and my girlfriend is going overseas for 3 months soon, so I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible. (Of course, when she leaves, I'll have plenty of spare time)

This isn't to say I haven't done anything, of course. :) My job at the moment is just going through the files I have, doing cleanup work, comparing them to what I have listed, and whats needed. So, mostly just listening and writing.

Just want you guys to know, though. We haven't gone silent. Things are going forward! :)

Tempest said:
Hey everyone.

As you've heard, I have the voiceover organisation gig right now, and from what I understand, the quicker we get this part done, the sooner we get a prologue release (as the voiceover work is the considerable hurdle to cross right now). This means that some time in the nearby future, I'm going to need a few voices. Mostly just generic stuff, from what I've derived so far, but we'll see.

I've been very busy at university recently, and my girlfriend is going overseas for 3 months soon, so I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible. (Of course, when she leaves, I'll have plenty of spare time)

This isn't to say I haven't done anything, of course. :) My job at the moment is just going through the files I have, doing cleanup work, comparing them to what I have listed, and whats needed. So, mostly just listening and writing.

Just want you guys to know, though. We haven't gone silent. Things are going forward! :)

Hey, that's a cool deal man.

You happen to be the main Standoff fiction dude right? Got any estimate in how long the Standoff fiction's going to be (about 100 page like Unknown Enemy or more?)

psych said:
You happen to be the main Standoff fiction dude right? Got any estimate in how long the Standoff fiction's going to be (about 100 page like Unknown Enemy or more?)

I wouldn't say main. :) I've done bits and pieces of the prologue and wrote lotsa in-flight stuff, but Eder and Quarto are the ones to ask about that one. I'm mostly just filling up in game mails and such. :p

From what I've seen so far, though... there's some good stuff. And i'm not a man whose easily pleased.

*points*

Holy crap, that car is BLUE!

*chases after it*

My estimate would be that Standoff's fiction will overall be a bit shorter than the UE fiction (though this may change upwards a bit by the time we're done with all of it), even though the campaign will be about 2.5-3 times longer than UE. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, in UE, I intentionally wrote as much fiction as possible in order to make up for the short length of the campaign - but in Standoff, the length of the campaign is definitely not something to complain about, so there's no need for such compensation ;). Secondly, since we're working with an internal fiction viewer that has no text-scrolling capabilities, we figure it's a good idea to keep each piece down to one screen in length. Thirdly, Standoff uses missions for storytelling to a slightly higher degree than UE did - meaning, there's a bit more talking during the missions. And finally, UE often displayed things in cutscenes that really didn't advance the story, while in Standoff we try to ensure that cutscenes do advance the story substantially.

Also, there's no narration in Standoff's fiction - just plain in-universe communication received by the player character (e-mails, newsletters, etc). The interaction between characters is strenghtened by the fiction, but the most important bits happen in cutscenes or in dialogue during missions (like on some occasions in WCP/SO).

As for who's the main fiction guy, Tempest is scheduled to write all of our "filler" fiction (newsletters about the state of the war, reports on the number of fighters left onboard, personal emails from secondary characters) while me and Quarto handle the stuff that's most important for the plot (emails from the main characters, mostly).

The coolest thing, IMHO, is that the fiction viewer captures some variables that we can set anywhere else in the game to change which messages are displayed, or the content of those messages. You'll only get a "good job" email from the captain when you've done a good job, etc. so we'll have even more dynamism than UE's fiction had... instead of basing the fiction you see on a password you get every three missions, our fiction is there after every and each mission, and sometimes changes based on an event which didn't even alter the mission's success/failure outcome.

SHOOT!

That is amazing stuff. RG will certianly not be this advanced--especially not in the first episode. I might adapt and credit what you guys have done in a patch--if I feel like modding the fiction viewer and if you allow me to adapt what you have added.

Funny thing that the WC new game content creation community is made up of so many non-north-american people. And it's even funnier that there are lot's of brazillians involved. Pity our game industry is so small...
Congrats to you all... You keep the WCU alive!

There was an interesting piece of the "incipient" brazilian gaming industry on TV (Globonews) the other day. Well, we don't have a lot of commercial-grade games out there, but at least they are trying to do something.

Back