Just Joined Your Site

Here's another. I think this is the captains room on the Yamoto. Big seat speakers ;o).

533418-starlancer-windows-screenshot-cutscene-superior-officers-salute.jpg

hehe.. quite often.. always traveled with an expensive wingman and a monolith.. gotta appreciate some extra guns on a long trip!

Then the in-game WINGMAN image, bottom right. Did I ever help YOU? ;O)
P2xi.png

"Clinical and ruthless in combat, prospective employers should nevertheless be warned of his propensity for quoting obscure Asiatic mystical texts."

Were any of these write-ups in-jokes based on the team member or were they assigned randomly?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Clinical and ruthless in combat, prospective employers should nevertheless be warned of his propensity for quoting obscure Asiatic mystical texts."

Were any of these write-ups in-jokes based on the team member or were they assigned randomly?

Not sure, but some points were probably true, I don't know. I don't think we could text then, I didn't have a phone and never quoted obscure Asiatic mystical texts.... Maybe the Clinical and ruthless in combat was from paint balling?

A lot of them are just goofy. I'll always remember Paul Hughses':
Of all the families on Janus IV, the Barsteadly clan is indubitably the oldest, snobbiest and most inbred. Relics in their family museum date back many thousands of years, and it seems that Eryl, youngest son of the present Duke Barsteadly, developed an obsession with some stories related in a piece of crude, antique literature, describing the antics of the pilots of the first, primitive aircraft. Eryl's conversation is now liberally peppered with meaningless phrases culled from this source. As a wingman, he is competent, with his fighting ability lent extra verve by his insistence on using ancient, unwieldy yet surprisingly effective combat manoeuvres.
And Paul Chapman's:
A promising career in unpopular music met an untimely demise when Heggardly wiped out the rest of his group, Apoplexy, with one bass solo too many due to "musical differences." Sine the, he has been on the run from his record company, briefly laying low in the guise of a biology master at the Van Vista Finishing School for Young Ladies in the Hom system. Although a highly skilled combater, Heggardly nevertheless persists in letting clients down. Many years of living in the fast lane have taken their toll on his short and long term memory – he has even been known on occasion to forget whose side he is on in the middle of a dogfight! Very much an unfathomable force, you just never know what he'll do.

While I was digging up the Who's Who, I found the ships used in The Darkening advertisements. It looks like I was wrong - these are clearly more detailed than the in-game ships (which explains why they don't have color palettes applied, then!)

https://www.wcnews.com/news/2011/08/11/cool-dark-ships

Also, if you haven't seen it already you should check out https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Privateer:_Das_Erwachen and search the site for "Das Erwachen" - a couple of years ago some German fans not only wrote a full-length fan novel, but made their own custom designs of the ships and a card game!

Last edited by a moderator:
That one definitely made it in. Got my 3 Yamato medals rather quickly compared to the Reliant's triple set.

What's the matter didn't know to cut the Krasnya (?) by destroying that jump gate...well, me neither actually made a lucky shot and before I knew it the carrier was being cut in half. I was always to focused on the next fighter, I didn't even realize the carrier coming through. Was in a Patriot I think and was shooting at some one else, when I shot the gate and it shut with the carrier halfway through. I had to play the game again to realize you didn't get the medal unless the carrier is destroyed. it does make you wander...what if some one's action station was located in that exact part of the ship? How messy would that have been? Or if somebody maybe only had a limb that didn't make it through...man to bad they were communists and had state run health care, those people on board who were forever maimed or separated from parts of their bodies' they will never see again. I am sure if that happened to an Alliance carrier, they would have fared better because of better health options, probably with a good dental plan, and maybe even a fantastic life insurance policy that tripled in the event that you body was maimed or separated while fighting a war over our solar system, against a communist, east asian, and arab coalition, during the event that your carrier uses a jump gate, but is cut in half when, before said coalition attacked and destroyed the jump gate right at the moment half your body was left behind and the other half had already made it through.

I know it seems complicated but that is democracy for ya. Hell, the policy only paid out $10,000 but in the event that above situation happens, I mean...they probably got $250,000,000 plus hazard pay, plus Social Security Insurance benefits, plus whatever else the government would feel like dishing out, plus whatever fundraising could come from selling little colored wristbands.....Anyway just wandering....You never know!

P.S. This kind of reminds me of the 2nd Death Star's Union Workers and weather or not they got extra pay because they got injured or died when the Rebels ("showed up with their flag"--Thank you, Eddie Izzard) destroyed the Hyper-matter reactor of the Death Star...hehe...hope somebody gets this post because on some level it is funny.

Hello Mr.Cottam! I've been playing your games for over 10 years! I grew up with your games. Great to get a chance to talk to you. Glad to see you're still around.

Hello Mr.Cottam! I've been playing your games for over 10 years! I grew up with your games. Great to get a chance to talk to you. Glad to see you're still around.
Thank you!

I just played a small part in creating this work for Chris and Erin Roberts, but it was an amazing opportunity. I'm amazed that so many people still play. I think I should get myself a copy of the game and get back into it or even make my own. Star Citizen has got me all exited.

Watch this space.

What's the matter didn't know to cut the Krasnya (?) by destroying that jump gate...well, me neither actually made a lucky shot and before I knew it the carrier was being cut in half.

Actually if you read above I said I got all six. Captain Foster gave three medals and Captain Mukai gave three medals. I was refering to how quickly in succession you get them on the Yamato vs Reliant.

Thank you!

I just played a small part in creating this work for Chris and Erin Roberts, but it was an amazing opportunity. I'm amazed that so many people still play. I think I should get myself a copy of the game and get back into it or even make my own.

I still play all of them. If you need a wingman in Starlancer feel free to join my co-op IP games. MSN Gaming Zone be damned. You can find me and other CIC members on irc.wcnews.com on the #wingnuts channel.

I'm actually in the middle of a replay of Starlancer. I won't spoil the mission, suffice to say it's a good slugging match between giants, and YOU can make all the difference. There are scritping bugs once on a rare occasion but for the most part the game is very stable on modern builds. We even have tutorials online for x64 machines.

I'm trying to remember where my Privateer II the Darkening crew jacket is. I have to find it and give it away on this forum.

I have my stuff stored all over the place, but don't remember getting rid or giving it away.

The search is on.

I was looking at the trophy chart, you know 50 points for this or that.
You get 60,000 points, a "Origin Systems Medal" for creating worlds. Do I have to create another Origin world or is this previously created worlds? (Like Privateer II the Darkening).

Thinking of give-aways, I also have one of the very first delivered Darkening game boxes, it's unused/opened and signed by all the team members in gold pen (I have to find that). Last time I came across it I was leaving Vancouver for Brisbane.

I was looking at the trophy chart, you know 50 points for this or that.
You get 60,000 points, a "Origin Systems Medal" for creating worlds. Do I have to create another Origin world or is this previously created worlds? (Like Privateer II the Darkening).
I believe that's one we give to all the old Origin vets that register on the boards here... I think we have to apply it manually. I can look into it though not sure if I can do it myself.

I believe that's one we give to all the old Origin vets that register on the boards here... I think we have to apply it manually. I can look into it though not sure if I can do it myself.
I was living in hope that you would say "Build another Origin game".

Having a great time on the forum!

Back