Just installed some latest flash update on my windows xp machine and it killed wc4 dvd videos >:(

Decay

Ensign
As soon as adobe finished updating its flash player to the newest version, i tried booting up some wing commander 4 dvd fun, only to find it goes to a locked up black scren every time a video plays. Tried reinstalling all the movie codec fixes and nothing helps. Should i just uninstall flash player and only install it up to a certain version?

Is there a known flash player update that conflicts with WC4 dvd edition that you guys know of?

EDIT: I tried uninstalling flash player completely and the FMVs still give me a locked up black screen. Gonna try uninstalling WC4 and reinstalling. This is so weird, it was working fine right before the flash player update completed.

EDIT #2: Tried uninstalling the game, then reinstalling and doing the windows xp fixes again. Still locks up with a black screen at every fmv, locks up to the point I can't even use ctrl+alt+dlt to exit the game, i have to restart windows every time. This is really annoying.

Bleh, I am sick of this BS, does the GoG version work flawlessly on Windows 7? Cause i'm about to buy it.

The GOG patch is distinct from the ones hosted at the CIC. Most importantly it fixes the palette issue in win vista and win7. Some people have issues with getting the right codecs installed but it is no different an issue than doing the same thing for the DVD itself. So there's no guarantee that it won't give you issues, but the majority of people don't have a problem with it. This is the first I've heard of flash affecting it negatively and I really can't see why it would. WC4 DVD doesn't use flash. So either Adobe is screwing around with non flash related files or it's a coincidence and something else is interfering (maybe some cyberlink software?)

Anyway, is the game locking up completely? Are you getting an error message? Can you press escape and skip past the movies into the gameplay?

The GOG patch is distinct from the ones hosted at the CIC. Most importantly it fixes the palette issue in win vista and win7. Some people have issues with getting the right codecs installed but it is no different an issue than doing the same thing for the DVD itself. So there's no guarantee that it won't give you issues, but the majority of people don't have a problem with it. This is the first I've heard of flash affecting it negatively and I really can't see why it would. WC4 DVD doesn't use flash. So either Adobe is screwing around with non flash related files or it's a coincidence and something else is interfering (maybe some cyberlink software?)

Anyway, is the game locking up completely? Are you getting an error message? Can you press escape and skip past the movies into the gameplay?

Nope, I cant skip the movie either. Unlike it would let me before installing the DVD fixes. The FMV looks like its about to play, then just black screen. I ctrl alt dlt, windows stays in 640x480, i try to close wc4dvd from task manager, it asks me if i want to close it, i do that, it asks if i wanna send an error report. Then wc4dvd.exe just stays open till i do a hard reset.

I was literally playing it just fine 10 minutes before that adobe update installed, then it all went to shit. Tried uninstalling every single video codec on the computer, nothing seems to be helping. Even uninstalling the game completely didnt help. Something happened which makes WC4dvd no longer work on my windows xp machine.

Well i was somehow able to fix it after uninstalling all video codecs and reinstalling the game. Turns out I had forgotten to reinstall the AC3 filter and that seemed to fix it. Not sure why the whole thing got borked after updating flash player but there ya go.

Which WC4 DVD version are you using? There are 2 completely different versions and I have owned them both. Is your WC4 DVD one sided or 2 sided?

Well i was somehow able to fix it after uninstalling all video codecs and reinstalling the game. Turns out I had forgotten to reinstall the AC3 filter and that seemed to fix it. Not sure why the whole thing got borked after updating flash player but there ya go.

Glad you got it working. Sometimes we just need to walk away and look at again from a fresh perspective and often there's just some little thing we missed.

I'm still blown away at how much better the pc version of WC4 is compared to PS1. The DVD version especially. The cut scenes are soooo clear and fluid. So many more missions and cut scenes I haven't seen. And the actual game play graphics were missing so many effects from the pc version. It's like playing a whole new game. I wish Wing Commander 3 had gotten a DVD release.

Only advantage I can think of with the PS1 version is the colored video transmissions during game play

Back