Just how much does it cost?!?

I bought Privateer 1 over at gog.com yesterday. The game is allright, part of me wishes it had been made with the WC3 engine but its not a big deal. A bit frustrating at times, as theres just no way to tell how hard a particular mission actually is, among other things.

Anyways, am just wondering; how much does the Centurion ship cost? It dont say in the game, not in the manual. I got up to 90.000 credits and the dealer is still saying its not enough.

Unhelpfully, I don't have an answer for you, but I do remember this particular thing (the seeminglt unknown cost of the Centurion) turning me off the game, big time, when I originally played it.

The issue is with the speech pack - in the non-speech version the dealer told you on-screen how much the centurion (and others) cost. It's $200,000, but remember you use your old ship as a trade-in, so you don't need to collect the full amount. I wonder if you disable speech whether it will revert to the text version and tell you the price? Hmmm.

Totally wish you could buy/fly a Demon though.

EDIT: Pipped at the post by [TCSTigersClaw]! Whilst I was writing this message! D'oh!

The issue is with the speech pack - in the non-speech version the dealer told you on-screen how much the centurion (and others) cost. It's $200,000, but remember you use your old ship as a trade-in, so you don't need to collect the full amount. I wonder if you disable speech whether it will revert to the text version and tell you the price? Hmmm.

Totally wish you could buy/fly a Demon though.

EDIT: Pipped at the post by [TCSTigersClaw]! Whilst I was writing this message! D'oh!

Eh, I'd still recommend collecting the full amount and then some. The game doesn't let you move components from your old ship to your new ship, outside of your jump drive and radar. So, any upgrades you bought will be sold at the reduced resell price, and then have to be purchased again at full price.

theres just no way to tell how hard a particular mission actually is, among other things.

Usually the amount of credits is indicative of the mission's difficulty. If you're taking missions in the 5k-6k range and you're finding them too easy, move up to missions in the 8k-10k range.

It's designed to have a slow build-up, but once you get some good equipment and increase your survival skills, it's not uncommon to bring home 50k on a single 3 mission run.

The WCPedia Privateer Landing Page has links to some articles of interest. Mind you, the vast majority of them are still Works in Progress. It might help you find that extra tidbit you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, the Centurion is the Super Ship of Privateer. It's supposed to take a lot of time and effort to be able to afford.

To be honest, I bought the Orion and beefed it up, then ran through the plot in it. Then I bought a Centurion afterward with the money I made during the plot.

The game is allright, part of me wishes it had been made with the WC3 engine but its not a big deal.
My understanding is that Privateer was originally planned to use the RealSpace engine, but the delays with Strike Commander's development meant that this couldn't be fulfilled. (In case people don't know, RealSpace is used in Strike Commander, Armada and WC3/4.)

Back