Just a little prelude to a story I'm writing...

Hamlet

Spaceman
Thought I'd post...see if anyone liked it....

Deep space. One of darkest and emptiest places known to man. Time seems to stand still in deep space, as if it had no meaning there. Even the star's steady light bowed away to the serenity of the darkness. The serenity was suddenly interupted, though, by a large starfighter with circle-shaped wings. The Dralthi class medium fighter roared through the emptiness, a Confederation fighter know as a Rapier close on it's tail.

The Dralthi kept moving, ducking and weaving; trying to get away. The Rapier stayed after him, firing it's two neutron cannons and it's two laser cannons. Several shots hit the rear end of the Dralthi, just as it rolled twice, and dove downward. The Dralthi's shields melted away, and chunks of hull plating broke free. Inside the Dralthi, Kar 'Larthallo Nar Mrrt crushed out loud, then keyed his communications.

"You snivling little ape, I shall feast on your entrails!" He shouted at the Terran pilot. That was pretty much his only insault in the Terran's primitive language. The Terran pilot hollared something back at him, but he didn't understand what. Kar'Larthallo growled, annoyed that this fight was taking this long. He punched on his afterburners, sending his Dralthi shooting forward. Trusting that the ape did the same, he cut the afterburners, and pressed the thumb button on his joystick. A porcupine mine was released, and was left drifting behind him.

Kar'Larthallo hit the afterburners again. He hoped the Terran would hit the mine, but that really wasn't his plan. He knew the ape would probably swirve around his, and come after him again. But this time, he had a little surprise. He cut the afterburners, and throttle back. His speed indicator counted backward rapidly. He could hear the roar of the Terran's engines growing closer. A moment later, just when he thought the Terran might actually hit him, the Rapier shot by above his fighter.

The Kilrathi pilot grinned, bearing his teeth. The Terran ape had fallen for it, and now it was time to get rid of the dishonorable filth. Kar'Larthallo lined his crossheirs up on the fighter, and squeezed the joystick's trigger button. Before the Terran pilot could reaction, Kar'Larthallo's lasers cut through the Rapier's read shielding, and ate away at the ship. The Rapier bursted apart, an expanding orb of flame shot debris and flames outward. Kar'Larthallo keyed his communications system again, broadcasting to all frequncies.

"A worthy death for a cowardly ape." He commented. That was the other insault he knew. He really should learn some more, but even hearing the Terran's tongue was painful, much less speaking it. The Kilrathi pilot looked down at his radar screen. There were two red dots, indicating two remaining ConFed ships; and three Blue dots, indicating the three other pilots in Kar'Larthallo's wing. Kar'Larthallo steered his Dralthi around towards the nearest Terran fighter, and pushed the throttle up to 100%.
As the Kilrathi pilot approached the two remaing Terrans, something else disturbed the serenity of deepspace. A swirling mass of blue and white emerged from space itself. Four Confederation starships flew out of the mass, slowing to a lower speed. After the four ships exited, the swirling mass collapsed into itself. Kar'Larthallo heard himself gasp. The center ship was a Bengal class Strike Cruiser! He also recognized an Exeter class destroyer, and two Venture class corvettes. For the good of the empire, he had to report this!

Kar'Larthallo keyed his communications system and spoke briskly.

"Finish the enemies you're on, then head home. We must report this!" He said. He triggered his afterburners, and shot towards the nearest fighter. Kar'Larthallo saw a flash of light, then a ball of flames were the nearest Rapier was. Then he noticed a blue dot wink out of his radar.

"Mortah just got destroyed!" One of his pilots said.

"Forget about that last fighter, we must go!" The other pilot under his command growled.

"And look like cowards infront of the apes! Never! We will get that last fighter, or die trying!" Khurak roared. Kar'Larthallo shook his head.

"We are not cowards, but we must go. This information is greater then any of our personal honor. We will avenge Mortah another time." He said defiently. Khurak stood down, and joined him in formation. Togather, the three Kilrathi fighters made their escape from the Confederation fleet.

Meanwhile, the remaining Rapier turned towards the Carrier, preparing to land. The pilot pulled the throttle way back, and touched down smoothly; despite how badly damaged his ship was. He rolled to a stop, then taxied to his ship's line position. He applied brakes, and stopped his fighter, then killed his engines. He turned off his autoejection system, and double checked it. A tech outside his fighter, set a ladder againt the side of the fighter, and climbed up. The pilot opened the canopy, and powered down the Rapier.

The tech helped unbuckle the pilot, then helped his climb out of the cockpit. Captain Jake Lewis pulled his helmet off, he took a breath of fresh air. The tech patted him on the shoulder. "Glad you made it back alive, sir." The kid said, his southern accent ringing. Jake nodded glumly, then hopped off the side of the fighter. "Oh, the Commander wanted to see ya ASAP. 'E sounded kinda pissed." Jake nodded again.

Jake stepped into the locker room, and opened his locker. He set his helmet inside, and unbuckled his brown flight suit.

"There you are!" He heard a sharp voice say. Commander Walt Peters stood at the enterence with his arms crossed. "What the hell happened out there Lewis? Two pilots dead, two Rapiers destroyed, one nearly crippled!"

"I don't know sir." Jake said as he pulled out a sweaty shirt he was wearing under his flightsuit. Peters kicked a locker.

"What do you mean you don't know? You want me to tell that to those pilot's families? Start at the top. What happened."

"Well," Jake startedm whiping sweat from his body with a white towel, "it started when we jumped into this sector. We launched right when the carrier finished the jump, and began our patrol. After you guys left, we continued our patrol, as ordered. When we got close to the jump point, four Dralthi's came out of nowhere shooting up the place. We all took a bunch of damage. I ordered Lieutenents Drake and Wallus to follow me, and we were going to escape. But Drake and Wallus broke formation and attacked. I had no choise but to do the same."

"The Kilrathi tore us apart sir. Wallus died first, then Drake. I managed to cap one of the Cats, when you guys arrived." Peters stood unconvinced.

"God dammit, you're grounded until I can get a formal investigation. Until then, right me and the Captain a formal report." Peters stormed away. Jake sighed, and zipped up his jumpsuit.

"War is hell." He said out loud. He turned, and stepped into a turbo lift.

I like it that you show both sides of the conflicgt, not only Terran or only Kilrathi. As a sidenote, I don't think that the Rapier from WC1 is able to jump... :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I like it that you show both sides of the conflicgt, not only Terran or only Kilrathi. As a sidenote, I don't think that the Rapier from WC1 is able to jump... :)

Why not?
The early version (the WCM one) can jump!

As a sidenote, I don't think that the Rapier from WC1 is able to jump... :)

It can't. Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The carrier jumped in, dropped off the Rapiers to patrol the jump point, then jumped off again to go blow something up or something.

Anyway, thanks for all positive feed back. And I kinda forgot to spell check, so sorry bout all the typos.

I don't think that the Rapier from WC1 is able to jump...
LOAF says it can! ;)

Originally posted by Hamlet
The carrier jumped in, dropped off the Rapiers to patrol the jump point, then jumped off again to go blow something up or something.
Yikes, I hope she come back to pick them up. Sorry, I haven't read the story, but I don't think dumping of fighters like that is standard procedure, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
....>.>......<.<....

um...well...ah...This ship doesn't follow standard procedure! Ha!

yes, the carrier came back for them. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I guess the carrier went to blow up a convoy or something, and wanted to make sure their escape ruit was clean.

Or, if the Rapier can jump, then just imagine that they did jump into the system...as advanced scouts or something...I dunno...

...escape ruit was clean.
For the sake of your stories: route. ;)

...if the Rapier can jump... they did jump into the system... as advanced scouts...
This sounds better. Better than sending Broadswords, as in WC2. :)

Both Rapiers can jump -- we see the WC1 Rapier jump in a SWC cut-scene.

The Rapier from the movie does have a tractor beam -- recall that Blair offers to tractor Angel's pod back to the 'Claw.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Both Rapiers can jump -- we see the WC1 Rapier jump in a SWC cut-scene.

The Rapier from the movie does have a tractor beam -- recall that Blair offers to tractor Angel's pod back to the 'Claw.
And don't forget Maniac offers to tracter Forbes "Rosie" back to the Tiger Claw (Tiger's Claw whatever), remember Paladin was the one who rescued Angel, but do Broadswords in the game have tractors.

Back