Jumpoints

I have no idea what you're talking about Cheater. In some games ships just fly through the jump points (for example WC3 and Prophecy), in WC4 and the movie the ships are pulled through the jump point (it looks especialy cool in the movie). Is that what you mean?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Maybe he means that between games you're sometimes in different systems so of course you use different jump points and their names are, of course, different.

What would happen if a ship flew into a Jump channel and someone really bad destroyed the Jump Buoy while the ship is in the channel with only one half?

Stardust

[This message has been edited by Stardust (edited February 05, 2000).]

Heh, that would require some VERY good timing.

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

Nothing would happen. I'm not sure about this, but it is my belief that Jump Buoys are there to mark a jump point, not to open it. Otherwise, why would ships need jump drives, when those Buoys are at every jump point?

No, jump bouys aren't involved in the actual jump process in any way.

For a rundown on jump theory, check out Phillip Langdale's jump theory FAQ, which was posted to the newsgroup long time ago.

Unfortunately, the FAQ is only up to date as of Prophecy, and doesn't include anything from the novels related to the Pilgrims or WC movie.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited February 05, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Death: The lack of info on Movie jump tech in this case is a good thing. This is one of those things where the Movie really conflicts with the games. Which is not to say that I wouldn't want info in Movie jumps. They were a hell of a lot more interesting than the game jumps.
Actually, it's my theory that this had something to do with the apparent failure of the WC Movie. The image it portrayed of space as filled with nebulas, asteroids, and singularities simply failed to catch the imagination of the various movie critics, who were all too used to the Star Wars "black backdrop with little white dots" image of space. Is not ironic that the WC Movie thus was knocked for being more realistic?
smile.gif

If I remember right, Jump Buoys are there to allow communication through jump points. It is also possible that they are there that a ship can check if there isn't another ship on the other side of the point which also want's to jump to the other system, to avoid collisions.

Rocker

------------------
Steve "Rocker" Unsen

You're right Rocker. The jump bouys "comunicate" with the bouy on the other side to check if there are any ships on the other side. It would be very, very bad thing if a ship came out of the jump point in the same place where another ship is.

Quarto, in what way does jumping in the movie conflict with the games? Jumping through quasars and other special jump points, if that's what you mean, actualy enhances the story of the movie.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

actually I meant how they look, in wc1 and 2 they were wight and diamond like, while in wc3, they were purpleish blue, with a light coming through them and different colors moving around in the middle, in wc4, they were still purple, but didn't have anything in the middle and when they opened and closed they swirled, and in wcP and SO they were greenish with lights coming out of them and lights moving around in the middle. (I liked the ones in Prophecy the most)

I also like Prophecy the most from the games, but the way the ships are streched and pulled like in WCM is my favorite.

------------------
Gen. Patton

is it just me or do the ships in wc4 seem to be "pulled" through, you know, with the stars in the middle.

Actually there's pages and pages and pages of detailed info on jumping.. from the perspective of the movie. It applies to all jumping in WC, but "movie jumping" is some of the most well described we have .
smile.gif

There's tons of info on standard jumping, and on jumping using the hopper drive in the Confed Handbook.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Time stops, if you catch my meaning, in the movie when they jump. (You know, the time-slice thing; I don't know how to describe it) But in the games they pass easily through without freezing like that.

Just an observation.
wink.gif

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

How do you know it doesen't stop in the games?
smile.gif
If time stops for the people on a capship or in a fighter they wouldn't know it stoped. So for them it would be a one second transit, even though it could take hours.
smile.gif
Besides, maybe it has something to do with the fact that they only use "special" jump points in the movie.

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 05, 2000).]

Well, I don't care if they know it stops or not. We do.
smile.gif

Oh, and if you recall, in WC4 we see inside the bridge of the Intrepid as they're jumping and time doesn't stop. Look, it's not a big deal.

And yeah, maybe it could be that they only jumped quasars and junk. Good point.
------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited February 05, 2000).]

Back