Joystick?

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Ok, I decided recently to purchase a new joystick. My current joystick, an old Saitek (I'm sorry I don't know the model, but I've had it probably six years or so now) has worked flawlessly for me all this time. I have never been as satisfied with a joystick as I have this one, I bought it for like $20-25 brand new and it has been perfect. My only grievance with it is that it has only four buttons, a small gripe from me. Anyway, my reason for changing was because my younger cousin needed a joystick and I thought I'd be generous and give him mine. So yesterday I went to the Compusa store and looked over their current selections. After some consideration I chose a Logitech Force 3D Pro for about $70.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2221,CONTENTID=10714

I took it home and installed it and then booted up for a quick test. Five minutes later I quickly uninstalled and put the thing back in the box to return it today. Absolutely horrible. My biggest gripe was that it was extremely sensitive to even the slightest movement and would not re-center when I let go of the joystick. I'm not a big time joystick enthusiast so I don't know the proper terms but my previous Saitek always would recenter perfectly when I let go of the joystick always dead on and never left my cockpit spinning randomly. So, today I did some online research and here are two products I am looking at:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305939&pfp=SEARCH

I decided that I had been so satisfied with my current Saitek that maybe I should stick with the same company. This one looks like a very good deal and I've heard many great reviews on it. There is a force feedback version as well that I might consider although to date I haven't been overly impressed by the FF.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317028&pfp=SEARCH

This is the other option and I've got to admit...it looks pretty sweet! Unfortunately there's only two buttons on the flightstick (there is an abundance on the throttle though).

What do you joystick pros (or novices) think? Any other suggestions to add to these? I want something that is decent but not overly sensitive and automatic recentering is a must! I'm guessing that my current stick has some sort of springs that return the stick to a perfect center when not being used and that's what I'd like to have in my next stick.

Thrustmaster makes some good joysticks... i haven't personally tried one, but i've never heard bad things about them.

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T63&fam=6

or if you want a throttle as well..

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T64&fam=6

Microsoft doesn't make them anymore (That i know of) but the sidewinder precision 2 joysticks were awesome as well, you might be able to find a few new ones around the internet, or on ebay... that's what im currently using, and it works quite well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?SubscriptionId=1Z60BFNPG9QHTHTB3Z02&n=172282

I originally had a CH flightstick pro, and if you don't care about ergonomics (It's a pretty unfriendly joystick) or being able to torso-twist in mechwarrior or spin in wing commander, it's a great joystick.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/joysticks.html

The X-52 is one of the least expensive HOTAS combo, but I heard it is pretty good. It is an excellent piece of hardware to play any flight/space-sim games. it is probably very good for Mech games too.

thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will wind up with the X52 as I've heard all positive reviews on it and it does have certain "cool" factor. :) Good thing you mentioned mech action as that is what prompted me initially to look at getting a new joystick. This is what I want to test it out on.

My Sidewinder Precision 2 is a dream to behold. Well maybe not that, but I've never had any problems with it :).

To be fair that is not a recent evaluation as I have not had a desktop computer in about a year and haven't played a computer game in about the same amount of time.

Mav23 said:
My Sidewinder Precision 2 is a dream to behold. Well maybe not that, but I've never had any problems with it :).

To be fair that is not a recent evaluation as I have not had a desktop computer in about a year and haven't played a computer game in about the same amount of time.

I can sympathize with that...to be fair it was Mechwarrior Mercenaries that brought me back to the pc for gaming. The two Mech Assault console games just were lacking a certain tactical value.

Well I probably would have picked up some games along the way (I think the new SW RTS looks cool) but since I've had my laptop I haven't considered it "worthy" enough :p . Hopefully I will be buying my friends old comp off of him soon, so I will break it in with some good old fashioned Wing Commander.

Well I bought the X52 and it is extremely awesome looking...however I do have some gripes. I tried running Mechwarrior Commander with it and it only recognizes two of the buttons and one of the POV hats. All the other buttons don't register. I tried downloading a profile created by Saitek for it but that doesn't work. Beyond that, this thing is a dream! :)

Maj.Striker said:
Well I bought the X52 and it is extremely awesome looking...however I do have some gripes. I tried running Mechwarrior Commander with it and it only recognizes two of the buttons and one of the POV hats. All the other buttons don't register. I tried downloading a profile created by Saitek for it but that doesn't work. Beyond that, this thing is a dream! :)

Make sure you don't have other game controlers (like a gamepad) plugged in at the same time. Older programs (even new ones actually) get confused sometimes when more than one game device is plugged in.

I believe my complaint against the Logitech joystick was probably due to the force feedback. I noticed that their 3d pro without FF seemed to have no problems recentering after I let go. Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy! This stick really makes you feel like you're there.

Maj.Striker said:
I believe my complaint against the Logitech joystick was probably due to the force feedback. I noticed that their 3d pro without FF seemed to have no problems recentering after I let go. Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy! This stick really makes you feel like you're there.

Recentering issues can sometimes be dealt with by increasing the deadzone. Also carefull calibration can rid you of some of that too. I have no Idea about new logitech ones but some joysticks (Like the old gravis ones) have adjusters for tension (wich adds resistance). adjusting them can mack the stick center better and make the stick less touchy in its response (just your wrist gets sore quicker).

I have a Sidewinder Precision 2 and the whole "Won't work because of static charge build-up" thing is pissing me off. Some days it works, some days it does not.

I didn't like the reviews on the 2.4logitech, and their sticks have a tendency to die on me. Pitty I can't really buy the X-52 here, It would be perfect for playing Lock On and IL-2

I've got a Saitek Cyborg, and it's been pretty champion. Not a terribly fancy stick, but solid and reliable.

Though, to be brutally honest, I'll never have another joystick as good as my old Thrustmaster Wingman Extreme. If I'd only had throttle and rudder pedals to go with it, I'd have been in heaven.

Back