Joystick overly sensitive in Wing Commander IV (GOG Ver)

Buccura

Rear Admiral
So I'm playing the GOG version of Wing Commander IV, which is the DVD version of the game, and while the game plays and runs beautifully, there is one issue I'm having. The joystick is way to sensitive, making combat a bit more difficult than it should, even forcing me to play on rookie. Is there any known way to either lower the sensitivity or raise the dead zone? I'm exploring some possibilities but if there is any known way, it'd be awesome if someone would share.

For the record, my joystick is a Logitech Attack3.

For the record, my joystick is a Logitech Attack3.

If you're running Logitech Profiler then you should be able to manually increase the deadzone but the bigger the deadzone the more reactive the "active" zones will become, diminishing fine control.

Unfortunately, I come into centering issues with Logitech hardware all the time so it's a balancing act, and it does seem to get worse over time.

There are a few settings in your configuration file (the .conf file) you can try but nothing that is guaranteed to improve the "feel". You can try the Timed setting... it'll say either true or false, set it the other way. In my experience if the stick already works I leave DOSBOX alone and concentrate on Profiler.

You can try lowering the sensitivity sliders for the X and Y in axis properties. That may give some leverage in your fine control. You will have to experiment a bit till it's more comfortable. You have my sympathies as I use an aging 3D Pro with similar issues. Evasion is simple for me but lining up a target can become an exercise in patience.

Best of luck to you.

The problem is that isn't the DOS version of the game, it was the DVD version made for Windows 95, so there is no .CONF file.

The problem is that isn't the DOS version of the game, it was the DVD version made for Windows 95, so there is no .CONF file.
Forgot GoG version is kernel based. Then the issue is limited to DirectX and your software. I reiterate that your solution probably exists in Profiler's settings.

Okay. Where would I get the Profiler? I search and I got "Logitech Gaming Software".
That's it. I suppose I'm using a legacy term (Profiler is the original name for it). Calling it "gaming software" by itself is a bit vague, but it's the same thing.

Back