Joystick not recognized in Windows

hberg32

Spaceman
Hi - I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't get either Vega Strike or the Privateer Remake to recognize my HOTAS Cougar joystick. I have the latest drivers installed and used the default joystick setting (2 axis). Is there an extra step to turn it on?

Thanks

! Another Cougar owner. Cool

I have mine set up for 3 Axis Joystick and Throttle. You want to use the throttle, don't you?

I have ruder pedals. If you don't, you want to choose 2 Axis Joystick and Throttle. I also flipped my rudders in the Cougar Control Panel.

Are you sure your Cougar works in Windows? Use the joystick analyzer and the key tester in Foxy to make sure.

P.S. - if you'd like to take a look at my profile, I'll get you a copy. I'd be interested to hear input from another Cougar user.

The stick is recognized in Windows by both Foxy and the HOTAS CCP. Button and Axis emulation is off on the theory that Privateer is looking in the usual places.

I'm curious to see how this stick will be in a space combat simulator given the strength of the springs.

Henry

hberg32 said:
I'm curious to see how this stick will be in a space combat simulator given the strength of the springs.
As I'm sure you've guessed, it's rather stiff for a space sim. If I'm in a lengthy fight, I need to pause every once and a while and shake out my right arm. It really would be better to play with a lighter stick, but once used to the Cougar, I really can't ditch its programmability.

Anyway, back to your problems; why don't you try using my profile and joystick/macro files. Here they are:
Profile: http://www.duke.edu/~jak21/Privateer.tmc
Joystick File: http://www.duke.edu/~jak21/Privateer.tmj
Macro File: http://www.duke.edu/~jak21/Privateer.tmm
You'll have to right click as select "Save As" to grab thos last two.

Dump the profile into Program Files/HOTAS/Profiles and put the joystick and macro file swhereever you want, as long as they're in the same directory. Open the joystick fiel in Foxy and compile and download it to the stick, and see if things work in Privateer.

I'm using a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner mk II. It's an autocalibrating, programmable USB HOTAS stick with 8 buttons, adjustable stick tension, and switchable between twist-stick rudder and rudder rocker in the throttle. I prefer the rocker, personally. And it's not a bad stick for less than $40.
I bought it to replace a Sidewinder 3D Pro that didn't work so well on the new PC.
Setting it up for Privateer was pretty painless.

I know what you mean about stiffness. I've got a Thrustmaster FCS Mark 1 that's lasted well over a decade, except the springs broke :) No resistance at all, make it quite easy to sit through those long dogfights. Centering it is a finicky matter of balance though haha

Ahhh, victory is mine!! The key action here was to unplug the Nostromo n52. I don't know why this makes a difference, but I won't question the gaming gods.

Thanks for the macro files, I like the button mappings. I hadn't delved into Foxy much yet. And what's this? Code comments? Great day in the morning, I thought those were extinct.

BTW - have you thought about doing the evenstrain or some of the other mods to swap the Cougar's springs? I'm tempted, but not thrilled with the idea of taking a drill to this baby.

Ah, you have another controller attached; that can confuse the OS. Generally a game that supports only a single controller, as I assume the Vegastrike engine does, will look at ID1. I assume the Nostromo was probably on ID1.

I use comments when neccessary. There's not a lot of them there, but they do the job. Also, I keep my macro definitions pretty descriptive, too. For more complicated profiles I find it a must. The Privateer Remake profile compiles to 9% of the Cougar's memory. My most complicated profile compiles to 36%, and looks downright scary at times.

I have done the Uber-mod (v1), a long time ago. It probably wasn't worth it, as there is still center play. Someday I will get the Evenstrain mod done, or something even crazier, but IMO programability and customizability are even more important than physical precision in the Cougar, so I try not to worry about it too much.

Back