Joystick/Mouse Functionality in GoG WC4

JLaughter001

Spaceman
I recently played through Wing Commander 3, and downloaded WC4 from GoG...at which point I had ALL SORTS of fun and interesting problems trying to get the damn thing to work. At this point, I've been perusing this website for about 5 hours, reinstalling, patching, downloading, updating, and pulling out all of my hair. Well! I managed to get the intro movie to go through with full video and sound, and then on the first mission the video freaked out. So I did some more searching, and fixed the video (I hope).

Now, however, when I start the game it takes me to the load screen, and I have absolutely no mouse or joystick functionality and am unable to do anything but alt-x to exit the game back out to Windows. I'm not sure what the problem is...but here's my dxdiag, and my fervent plea for Wing Commander help!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    25.2 KB · Views: 82
Just for clarity, did the mouse and joystick work during the space combat during your previous attempts to run the game when the videos weren't playing properly?

Hmm, it's possible the game is losing "focus." If you alt-tab back to the game and wiggle the mouse around you don't get the cursor? Does this still happen if you unplug the joystick and only use the mouse?

It won't allow me to alt-tab out. It causes graphical glitches, but never minimizes the game. If I alt-ctrl-delete and bring up the task manager, the mouse cursor only wiggles in the center of the screen without moving. This is on a laptop, so I have an external wireless mouse, usb joystick, and also a mouse touchpad. I've tried every combination of unplugging and plugging that I can think of :(

So what was the initial issue with the videos? Can we uninstall and try running through this step by step?

Installing now, but here's the summation of what I went through yesterday...

The first problem I had was a virtual protect error, which at first I managed to get around using various compatibility modes (I think Win2000 allowed the game to start, but without video/sound until the first dialog choice where it froze.) I found that it was a pretty simple fix with downloading the dxmci1.zip and copy/replacing the existing DLL's. After that, the game would start, but without sound. I found the mpeg2dec.zip, and did the same process. After that, it was the same, but I found the AC3 Filter, and I was able to view the entire intro sequence with perfect video and sound. Then the first mission with Maniac came up and I had no response from any controls, and had a video glitch that didn't show the entire hud, just the crosshairs and a few inch band of graphics and then black bands above and below. I found a post on the forums here outlining a similar video problem, and found a fix called "dwrap 1.0.1 test7.zip" that had fixed a previous problem-finder's video problems. Then, whenever I opened the game, it would open to the load/save game "duty roster" and I had no joystick/mouse responsiveness.

With the original GoG install now, this is the error that I get upon launch.
wc4error1.png

So is this vista or win7? Did you restart the PC after uninstalling?

Anyway, Mpeg2dec and AC3 filter are a must although these can also be covered with a codec pack like klite or cccp... Also I would doublecheck compatability modes on the wc4dvd.exe which should be set to win95/98 to avert the virtual protect error. Then if you still get an error like above or any other errors or graphical glitches we can try and handle those one at a time. It kind of bothers me that the game isn't launching at all now.

Okay. I installed the dxmci1.zip files, and the Mpeg2dec, and the game now launches, but gives me a "missing video" error and goes to the "straighten him out" dialog option.

I'm running Windows 7 .

Ah, well. Okay, maybe joystick/mouse functionality isn't my problem now. I escaped past the missing movies and chose random dialog options until it got me to the first mission...which had no graphical glitches and responded to mouse control.

Nevermind AD, I did the above, and then dwrap1.0.1 test7.zip, and we're golden. I've got full video/sound, and my mouse/joystick is working like a dream. Not sure, must have just had a weird glitch last time, but looks like it's all going great now. Thanks for the prompt response!

Nevermind AD, I did the above, and then dwrap1.0.1 test7.zip, and we're golden. I've got full video/sound, and my mouse/joystick is working like a dream. Not sure, must have just had a weird glitch last time, but looks like it's all going great now. Thanks for the prompt response!

Awesome! Glad it's working for you.

Back