joystick doesn't work in DOS

Oh geez! You guys are too much ! This has got to be the most helpful forum of any kind i've ever been to, and i want to thank you all very much. And that almost makes it hard to say this, but i had to do a complete format and re-install which fixed the problem ! I didn't do it for the purpose of fixing it, but when i tried doing all that stuff with the autoexec and config files it cause a problem that to make a long story short screwed up my OS pretty bad. I spent all day trying to fix it and finally just did the reinstall. And when i did, instead of using the soundblaster CD to install it, i just allowed windows to install whatever drivers it has. And it seemed to have them all. This was great because it not only installed the card in device manager, but a whole other category called "creative misc. devices" which included the gameport, multimedia interface, and SB16 emulation ! And all without the hideous software that the CD installs unless you just choose "drivers", in which case none of the stuff i have in device manager shows up. So this is THE ticket for installing soundblasters if you don't like or need all that garbage that installs with it from the CD.

Anyway, i now have another problem that i think you guys will easily figure out. While my joystick now works in DOS, the sound in DOS is horribly distorted as tho the speakers are all the way up and the mixer too. It's fine in windows tho. And the game i tested just now has no volume settings. Any ideas? And thats again to all of you !!!

I forgot to mention........i think that SB16 emulation is so that it can emulate an old SB card for dos games, right? It has some settings in the properties that i suppose may help the sound problem, but i don't know what they mean. Anyway, i'll disable it in DM and see if that helps the sound and if the stick still works. If not, then i'll ask you all bout those settings. Oh, and that last sentance above should have been "thanks", not "thats".

You are now close to regaining your "God Status" in your kids´eyes :)
THE_WUCKED wrote in one of his posts that he has the same sound card in one of his "rigs", so he´s the best bet to help you with the settings. I´ll be on the sideline :)
I used to have "God Status", but then my son grew up and got clever :D

@Unregistered: So I got your post right, when I thought you just changed your main config.sys and autoexec.bat. Anyway, this way, I guess, all of us have learned something: You learned to backup your files before editing them and Farzone and I learned to remember one of backing things up before fiddling around with it ;)
@Farzone: Yes, I have got a SB Live! in one PC, but that PC is in my hometown and it's quite a while scince I fiddled around with it. - So you might want to watch my advice, so that I don' talk BS ;)

But now back to the problem:
I guess best would be to once again post your autoexec.bat - it should be different and hopefully include the soundstuff settings ;)
Then it would be helpfull to know what game we are talking about, and what soundcards you can select in the setup (cause I guess it could have something to do with the game config)
And while we are at it, you need to look up the following things in Windows Devicemanager (no changing):
-IRQ (e.g. 5)
-DMA Low (e.g. 1)
-DMA High (if available, that is) (e.g. 5)
-I/O (e.g. 220)
-Midi/MPU401 (forgot name :( ) (e.g. 330)
I'm not 100% sure, cause it's long ago since I looked it up myself, but there should be a SB16 emulator in the device manager - forgot exact name. That's where to look at the settings under Ressources.

Actually what happened was i changed the autoex and config in the file properties, not the actual system's files. But then i read something on the creative site about adding some lines to them and i then added to the autoex and config system files. Thats what did the trick and sent me on my way to formatsville.

Anyway, looks like it's not quite as fixed as i thought. the stick appears to be working in this one game only. tried a couple more and it wouldn't work. So now i have the stick working in one game, but the sound is bad, and the sound is fine in the other hames but the stick won't work. Someone must be playing a cruel trick on my !

So here are my settings.......

AUTOEXEC.BAT.......

@ECHO OFF
set EXPAND=YES
SET DIRCMD=/O:N
set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P 15
set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D 3 C
cls
call setramd.bat %LglDrv%
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:\
path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\
copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com
copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL
copy readme.txt %RAMD%:\ > NUL

:ERROR
IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT
echo Please insert Windows 98 Startup Disk 2
echo.
pause
GOTO ERROR

:EXT
%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL
echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.
echo.

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
IF "%config%"=="HELP" GOTO HELP
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
echo.
GOTO QUIT

:HELP
cls
call help.bat
echo Your computer will now restart and the startup menu will appear.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
restart.com
GOTO QUIT

:QUIT
echo To get help, type HELP and press ENTER.
echo.
rem clean up environment variables
set CDROM=
set LglDrv=

CONFIG.SYS...........

[menu]
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menuitem=HELP, View the Help file.
menudefault=CD,30
menucolor=7,0

[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

[NOCD]

[HELP]

[COMMON]
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048
lastdrive=z

Here are the resource settings in device manager......

Creative SB live !...........
resources=input/output range D800 D81F
interupt req=11
(that device is by itself under sound snd vid and game cont., the ones below are under creative misc. devices)

Creative gameport joystick............
input output range=0200-0207

Creative multimedia interface..........
DC00-DC07

Creative SB16 emulation........(this one has many entries !)
input/output range=220-022F
input/output range=0330-0331
input/output range=0388-038B
direct memory access=01
direct memory access=05

The settings for SB emulation on the settings page are as follows.........
SB port=220
MPU 401 port=330
ADLIB port=388
IRQ=7
8 bit DMA=1
16 bit DMA=5

Alright.
So the DOS settings for your SB Live emulation drivers are still missing in the autoexec.bat. So I do not get how you egt sound and so in DOS (?)
Do your restart your PC in DOS OR do you use the Windows 98 DOS command shell?
I think the best way now is to REALLY create a NEW bootdisk:
Once again a step by step instruction (Farzone already mentioned this method, and I think it's best):
Take a new/clean/empty floppy disk
Go to MS-Dos prompt
Type Format a: and press enter (this will format the floppy removing ALL files from it. It´s not strictly necessary, but it´s good basic proceedure )
When formatting is complete
Type sys a: and press enter ( this will transfer the system files from your harddisk to the floppy )
Test the disk:-
Exit ms-dos and shut down your computer.
Put the floppy in the floppy drive and start the computer
You should get a message "starting windows 98" or similar, a black screen with "A:\" at the bottom. Called an A: prompt
type C: and press enter
This should give you a C: prompt
Type cd dos and press enter
This should give you C:\dos prompt
Type dir and press enter
You should see a lot of file names flashing by
If you are with me so far, then you have created a BASIC boot disk that works.
To run games you will need an autoexec.bat and a config.sys on the floppy.

Pls report back if that works - NOTE: The games won't work this way! But at least you have got a speperate bootable floppy to start with. Whe you post back, we'll get to configure your autoexec.bat and config.sys manually step by step. I guess this is the best method to finally solve all your bugs, cause I personally do not like the windows standard stuff ;)

I'm somewhat familiar with Starting the computer and using the dos prompt. In fact thats how i fixed it yesterday hitting F8 and getting to a dos prompt and renaming the config and bat files so the computer would startup. So i do know a little bit of this stuff, but what you are telling me sounds like a regular emergency boot disk, no? So are you saying if i took a regular boot disk, which i already have, (made one as soon as i re-installed) and add the config and autoexec files with the corrected entries it should boot the PC to where i'd type the game's path and play it that way? The reason i'm asking is because my kids aren't going to be able to do that. All they know is "click the icon and play".

Now heres an idea that i suppose would be pretty simple. I could make copies of my autoexec and config files, then then reverse file extention one one of them so that i can do as i did yeasterday and rename them in DOS at startup to put the originals back. The only thing i wonder about is if changing those files would cause changes in other things like registry or ini files that don't revert back when the original config and bat files are restored.

Well,
1. it's not a emergancy disk that I was talking about, but a simple boot-disk which were common to use back in old DOS-times to improve gameplay. - They don't boot into windows, but only to DOS with optimum settings for games.
2. To make it that way, that your kids could still play the game with ease, but using a bott disk, is to "simply" create a boot-menu where you can select a game via pressing keys (1 for game A, 2 for Game B etc.). I did that for my K6-2 rig, btw.
3. I didn't say you were not familiar with it, I just was asking whether you/your kids play the games in the Windows DOS prompt or in pure DOS. But concluding from your last post, you want it that way, that your kids can play it in Windows.

As I guess you/your kids prefer to run the games in Windows, put in your Creative drivers CD and look for a folder called DosDRV or so (I don't have my CD here, so name could differ, but it should be somewhere on the CD.) If you find it, open it and run install. That will install the full SB16 support the way it's meant to work. - And hopefully it will automatically change your boot files settings. NOTE! I do not know what happens when they are already installed, so best would be if you would finally (sorry, but I asked for that 2 times, got no reply about it so far :( ) search for the file "SBEinit.com"/"SBINIT.com" on your Harddrive - IF it exists, they are already installed. If NOT, no wonder sound is buggy etc. and you can install it from the CD ;) - This file is neede anyway, no matter if you made a bootdisk or want to have dos sound in Windows. Without it, it won't work correctly with your SB Live!.

BEst is, if you first report back whether you have got the sbeinit.com/sbinit.com file or not ;)

P.S.: I really didn't want to sound that I think you are not knowing anything/not familar with DOS etc. - But you sometimes were just too fast in doing things (like simply copying Farzone's settings and use them instead of yours). That's it. - So I wrote in this step by step instructions style. ;) - At least I tried, I hope my English is not too bad to be understandable. ^^

Your english is fine.......i would have never known it's not your 1st language.
Anyway, no, neither of those files are on my HD. And on the CD i can't find them either, tho i think they are in the cab files which winzip or winrar will not open. I'll keep trying to find it tho in any case. But how would i install a .com file? Just run it like an .exe?

Ok, so they are not rellay not isntalled, like I guessed. Well, so there are good chances to fix the sound etc. with them. :)
Yes they are in the cab file, and you have to install them (I recently tried unzipping them myself, cause XP wouldn't allow me to install them for my Audigy, but it didn't work). But did you find a Folder called DOSdrv or so on your Creative CD? The name could vary a bit, but should have DOS in it's name. IF so, open it and there should be an exe-File (setup.exe or install.exe). I'll check creative's HP for some help to find out the real name of the folder and report back in a few mins. ;)

Yes, i did find the DOS folder and i have it one my desktop. But there is no setup fine......no exe, com, or inf. I guess the creative installer is elsewhere and just looks there for what it needs. Therefore it's designed so that you can't run the dos setup seperatly. And i really don't want to install from the Cd in the usuall way because i don't want all the garbage that creative installs, or for it to take away the SB16 emulation and other 2 things that never get installed when i install fully from the CD.

I recearched the cab files on google and found a forum post where someone cited that to open creative's cab files you need a perticulat program which i downloaded, but didn't work.

Hmm I didn't find much which is really helpfull at the creative homepage. BUT I found this Thread:
xyz:
i have soundblaster live! and the installation CD. in the folder audio/english/DOSDRV there is no setup.exe as described in the How to activate SB16 emulation for Audigy. how do I do that for live! ?
abc:
The DOS driver installs as part of the software for the Live card (in Win9x - the only compatible systems). You can see this if you choose "Custom Install" of the card - it appears as one of the programs that you can install.
So IF you don't have any exe file ther either, you might want to try it this way (by selecting custom install) and hopefully this time everything will work right.

Oh, and best would be to first check whether you can select ONLY the dos drivers via custom install.
To the garbage: Yep, I don't like that stuff either ;)
Hmm. If this doesn't work, though, I think I found another method, but currently (this month :( ) It won't work - the HP's limit has ended :(

Here is the thingy I'm talking about: You can download the driver there (inside the bootdisk) with all needed files. You'd have to manually set things up, though, but guess that shouldn't harm. Only prob is, at least for me, the download limit is over :(

eDIT: No! It works again :D - So get that stuff, extract the whole SB folder to your HDD and I just noticed I forgot to post the link LOLOLOL :D

EDIT2: Now here is the link: http://www.geocities.com/faustino909/bootdisk.html ^^ - I guess I need some more sleep, hehe ;)
Anyway, after you extracted the SB folder to the C: drive, you need to add some files to your autoexec.bat:
SET CTSYN=C:\SB
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
C:\SB\SBEINIT.COM

Hopefully that works. Oh, and best I guess would be to add it... Hmm, at the end of your autoexec.bat? Can't remember how the bat commands worked, but if it still doesn't work, you might try adding it somewhere else ;)

Man.........i'm starting to feel quilty with all this work you've gone to ! I can tell you that i have already tried installing just the dos drivers from the CD during a normal CD install using the custom installation option and only choosing the dos drivers. But it doesn't only install the dos stuff, it also installs the basic windows stuff. So i'm not about to do that after finally getting the right things installed in DM.

Your last post is a bit hard for me to comprehend, so i'll have to read your page you did and see what i can determine. I'll let ya know if i can figure it out or not, but it may take a while. Thanks for all your help !!!

I just noticed on your page that this was done in XP........will it work the same in 98?

I made the disk, but i just realized i don't know how to use it !!! *LOL*

Ok, i tried something here, so let me know if this should work the same as using the boot disc, but in windows. I figured the boot disk is just a way to do it w/o messing up windows, but knowing i can rename files at stratup from a dos prompt, i made a copy of the unaltered bat file and stuck it in the same directory as the modified one but named the extention "tab" instead of bat. This was i could renam the modded one, the rename the original back to "bat" in dos if i had problems starting windows. I added the following to the windows autoexec....

SET CTSYN=C:\SB
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
C:\SB\SBEINIT.COM

I also made a folder on the root directory, C:, and put the files you said in it. Then i restarted and had no problems, but it didn't fix anything. Not sure if i'm missing sopmething here, but i figured it was worth a shot.

Hehe, fthat is not my homepage, I just found it ;) - And your very last post is the method I wanted you to try out. But too bad it didn't work :(
But where did you add those lines? To the "Quit" section in your autoexec.bat or in the first section after cls? hmm, but maybe the problem is inside the games. What games are they and can you select different soundcards during setup?

I put it in the top section. But all that aside, i think you nailed it when you said maybe it's the games. It works in some but not in others, so i guess thats it.......some games will work, some won't. I downloaded an Atari emulator and zip files full of games for it. I tried probably 50 of them but only maybe 1/2 or less worked with the joystick. A more modern game who's name eludes me at the moment, tells me (in german...i had to translate it !) "no joystick connected".

So i think it's about as good as it's going to get. At least thier favorite game works with it, and they seem to like a few of those Atari games. (talk about ancient !) So don't worry about going to any more trouble....i really don't think anything is wrong now...just a matter of finding games that are compatible with this perticular PC. Thanks a million for all your help !!!!!!

Back