Japan To Create New Universe

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
PHYSICISTS IN JAPAN PLAN TO CREATE NEW UNIVERSE IN LAB USING THE HIGGS FIELD

A radical new project could permit human beings to create a "baby universe" in a laboratory in Japan. While it sounds like a dangerous undertaking, the physicists involved believe that if the project is successful, the space-time around a tiny point within our universe will be distorted in such a way that it will begin to form a new superfluid space, and eventually break off, separate in all respects from our experience of space and time, causing no harm to the fabric of our universe.

http://www.casavaria.com/sentido/science/2006/06-0802-new-universe.htm

Thoughts? Comments?

First, the guys at CERN have to discover the Higgs field. That won't happen until sometime next year (everyone thinks). RIght now, all the talk about it is theoretical.

The "causing no harm" part reminds me of the story of the two semi-spheres of plutonium in the White Sands experiment being transported to the site in a car's back seat, unprotected. Yeah, it's absolutely harmless.

Last time I heard anything about the efforts to find the Higgs Field they were considering revising their approach. I think they checked the most likely range trying to find it and came up with nothing.

I can't seem to find a link to support this, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere. Either way, I would say next year at the soonest.

I know a lot of universities have a sizeable staff in research to find the Higgs boson-- which is the Higgs equivalent to the photon. It sounds like a pretty interesting idea. I can only imagine the sort of things I'm going to see in my lifetime as we come to understand a little more about how our universe works.

We must remember that the scientists are not doing anything that has not happened before millions of times in the history of our own universe. At present, or at any time in the next several decades, we will not be capable of creating energies anywhere near as intense as those experienced in the midst of supernova explosions or stellar/neutron star/black hole collisions, which have occurred many many times in the past several billion years. It is when we start probing energies that have not been seen since the first instants after the Big Bang that we might be at risk of damaging spacetime.

privfan said:
This seems like something totally beyond our current level of technology

I would tend to agree. It seems this is a largely theoretical venture at this point. Still, will be interesting to see how it develops.

Ijuin said:
We must remember that the scientists are not doing anything that has not happened before millions of times in the history of our own universe. At present, or at any time in the next several decades, we will not be capable of creating energies anywhere near as intense as those experienced in the midst of supernova explosions or stellar/neutron star/black hole collisions, which have occurred many many times in the past several billion years. It is when we start probing energies that have not been seen since the first instants after the Big Bang that we might be at risk of damaging spacetime.

Interesting Ijuin, I had never really thought of it like that before. Thanks for the insight.

Back