J.J. Abrams To Direct 'Star Trek XI'

Consider also that the entire original Trek series was made on a budget of only a hundred thousand dollars per season. Even adjusting for inflation, that's barely what the later series got for every three or four episodes. No wonder the TOS cast were using cheap cardboard props.

If there is an argument for TAS being the best Star Trek series, I am not the one to make it. I was pretty much kidding when I posted that. I DO really like TAS, however...

I have actually only ever seen maybe four or five episodes of TAS. I remember watching it a few times before Robotech on the Sci-Fi channel back when I was a little kid... and totally loving it. I watched an episode a few years ago, and really liked it. The music, the voices, the sound effects, that crazy alien helmsman... it's awesome.

This may sound cheesy, but I am actually deliberately NOT watching all of TAS... so that for me there will always be a frontier of unwatched Star Trek. Where Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Scotty are on one of NCC-1701's five-year missions, having some new adventure.

I'm sure I'll break down someday, when I can pay some reasonable fee to instantly download high quality versions to my holocube implant, and actually watch them. But until then... Trek on, USS Enterprise!

(that's pretty nerdy, eh?)

PeteyG said:
I DO really like TAS, however...

I don't know how true it is, but I internet read somewhere that the animated series is coming to DVD this year.

I've thought that, if they were going to do another series, why not put it in that 75 year gap between the beginning of Generations and the beginning of TNG? That's 75 years you have to play with and lots of open space to explore set in an appealing era, which would be just after the (mostly) successful TOS movies. The uniforms are constant (at least through the Enterprise-C era), the sets already exist, (at least if you take either the Excelsior or the Enterprise-B as the ship) and it has the possible potential to build from there. Plus we'd be back to *exploring* the galaxy, not having constant war with it.

Tigerhawk said:
Plus we'd be back to *exploring* the galaxy, not having constant war with it.

As opposed to all those seasons of Voyager?

LeHah said:
As opposed to all those seasons of Voyager?

You've got a point there...then again, due to the cable company I was on in Oklahoma not carrying any networks that had Voyager rights, I missed probably three years of it, and it seemed like conflict was becoming the order of each hour with the Incredibly Self-Healing Voyager always repaired and back for more.

From IMDB today:

Mission: Impossible III director JJ Abrams has confirmed he's set to save the Star Trek franchise after signing on to produce the next film in the sci-fi series. The 40-year-old Lost and Alias creator, who is a longtime fan of the cult TV show and subsequent movies, is considering directing the new Trek movie too. In an exclusive interview with America's TV Guide magazine, Abrams says, "It's sort of surreal but wonderful. I'm producing and may direct. I have every DVD of every Star Trek episode from every series. I haven't seen every episode from every series but I certainly know it well enough to be working on the movie." Abrams, who will team up with fellow Star Trek buff and Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof on the new project, initially fumed when his involvement in the new film was announced before he'd committed to it. He admits he took his time to sign up for the project: "There have been 10 films and all these different (TV) series, so it was a question of finding out what they (movie executives at Paramount) were anticipating." Abrams insists the cult following Lost has found will help him make decisions about where to take the secret storyline for the latest Star Trek film. He explains, "Fans of Lost don't compare to fans of Star Trek, but working on Lost gives us a view into how important it is to respect the fans."

(Frankly, I find the whole "saved" thing to be bullshit. JJ surrounds himself with some good talent but his shows shit the bed after a short while and always in spectacular fashion. Not to mention, there was nothing to "save" anyway. Enterprise was the best thing to happen to ST since Deep Space Nine)

Not to mention the fact that Lost really doesn't respect its fans, stringing shit on forever with no resolution, or a resolution so far down the line you're like "huh?! When'd that happen?!" about the original problem.

It's like they're trying to be the Wheel of Time of primetime TV.

I could go on and on about Lost, but what it will undoubtably boil down to is a "Laura Palmer" scenario - they'll tell you what the secret is, then no one will care and be incredibly disappointed.

There is no real way around it. The public has bigger imaginations than the writing staff. (Also - I really dislike the show for other reasons and have been somewhat embittered toward Abrams because of the nose dive Alias took in it's third season and never recovered from)

Woohoo, official teaser poster!
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/19575.html
stxi_800.jpg

I wonder what they will do about uniforms. While it will be good for nostalgias sake to have the original ones, the sets and such will not fly.

While purists will attack it for not being the cardboard sets, this is a major motion picture, not a cheaply made (love the show however, love it love it love) failed television series.

BlackJack2064 said:
I wonder what they will do about uniforms. While it will be good for nostalgias sake to have the original ones, the sets and such will not fly.

Didn't two episodes of Enterprise already prove this point false?

LeHah said:
Didn't two episodes of Enterprise already prove this point false?
true, the 3rd and 2nd last eppisodes of enterprise if i remember correctly featured a lot of TOS based settings, sets and costumes and they still had the atmosphere of a decent futuristic sci-fi series and had it not been for the ( crappy last-minute thought of ) ending they would have been my favorite epps. i think a TOS movie can hold its grounds among fans, especially if they show the beautiful matte paintaing-based areas such as starbase11 and other places as true sets/special effects, the result would be charming indeed ( i played the starbase11 mod for Elite Force, its the largest fan mod for the game and there can be no doubt that even the original Gene Roddenbury vision can captivate people today ) but how the general audiance responds to it is another question.

Foxtrot said:
but how the general audiance responds to it is another question.

I don't think Star Trek has ever really had a "general audience"

Besides, I doubt that anyone other than the hardcore Star Trek geeks really care what the interiors look like...

ok, i just wanted to share my opinion here.
ive always seen that events in present live are generaly a repetition of a historic event and this might also apply to Trek as we know it. i would say the current position of trek mirrors what it was like in the mid 70s - star trek phase 2 was in development in full swing and i guess people knew that it just wasnt going to work at all. slightly similiar situation here with enterprise excapt for the fact that enterprise actually made it to the tv screen. sure there was star wars that convinced paramount execs to make a trek movie instead of the phase2 series but still they decided to restart the series with a movie and a huge budget movie that too. i think the situation with trek XI is similiar. back in 1979 when the 1st trek movie was released it was utter crap ( i mean the original edit, the remastered and re-eddited one is a sci-fi masterpiece ) yet that movie paved the way for the rebirth of the franchise. it was totally original ( everything was new - costumes, special effects and noticibly the music ) and despite it not being a good movie it was the starting point for a new era in trek and was also partly responsible for TNG - the most popular trek show till date !!
what i am trying to say is that if the creaters of trek XI are able to infuse the movie with a lot of original content instead of simply making this a "walk down memory lane" styled movie there may be a bright future for trek.

Back