Is Wing Commander the "Citizen Kane" of video games?

Falcon988

Commodore
Instead of studying, my friends and I were pondering the finer points of video game history today at college and talking about the revolutionary games. Someone mentioned Wing Commander and how, especially 3 and 4, is what helped along lots of other story/cutscene driven games nowadays (he mentioned Knights of the Old Republic as an example). Made the statement "Wing Commander 4 is the 'Citizen Kane' of gaming".

That made me laugh out loud, but I thought it an interesting enough statement to mention on the CIC and see what the rest of you wingnuts thought about it. So what do you guys think? Is it?

That guy knows what he's talking about. WC is one of the earliest pioneers in storylines and is still better than alot of the games out today that focus on that.

Chris Roberts used to say that Wing Commander II was the Jazz Singer of video games... and I think that's certainly true.

Compared to Wing Commander 2, I don't think 3 or 4 are all that important. It's neat, impressive and fantastic that they filmed real actors... but the original games were the ones that premiered (and sold) the 'interactive movie'. Once you have the groundbreaking idea that turns games into movies, filming Mark Hamill in front of a greenscreen is an eventuality rather than an innovation.

(Hehe, Trelane wrote the description for a Citizen Kane video game once. "Charles Foster Kane is back -- with a vengeance" or somesuch. I wish I still had it... it's probably even funnier now that there's actually a Scarface game.)

If you really want to compare the movie world and the video game world, “Pong” is the “Citizen Kane” of video games...

Citizen Kane wasn't anywhere close to the first movie ever made; it's something that people consider one of the best movies ever made.

WCIV was not groundbreaking. It had some neat inovations (real sets, 35mm film), but WCII is the real deal. I remember when it came out - it was really impressive. The story, the narrative, it was truly amazing, no one ever tried something on that scope before. The closest thing to an "interactive movie" before was Defender of the Crown.

(on a side note, one nice aspect of Defender is that you knew how well your empire was doing because it reflected on how your avatar looked).

So... Wing Commander II is the 'Citizen Kane' of gaming? ;) I can see that. Both absolutely revolutionized their respective mediums.

June 29, 2001:

[07:46] <Trelane> i guess
[07:47] <Trelane> i should make that Citizen Kane game i was planning a couple years ago
[07:49] <Trelane> In the post-apocalyptic world of 2034, Citizen Kane is unfrozen from his time capsule in Xanadu to stop the heinous Professor Evil McDastardly from killing baby puppies in order to get the fuel he needs to power the World Domination Device. Only Charles Foster Kane and his trusty laser sword Rosebud can save the day.
[07:50] <LOAF> Hehehehehehehe
[07:52] <Trelane> that's about all i have, i'm not sure where to go from there

Except you never had to wait forever for the next installment of the series.

Hmmm....I wonder what Ultima could be compared to?

You had to wait quite a lot from ROTJ to TPM, unless you count the Ewoks movies and the Droids cartoon.

Ok i am really young i guess or just plain ignorant. What is Citzen Kane?

Btw Privateer 2 is the best, rpg/space sim can't beat that.

Check imdb.com if you ever need a resource on movies, actors, series, games, ........ there is a lot there.

Here's a link to the page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/

seems very interesting from viewing the trailer--might even go and see if I can't find it at the library or something.

yea but that trailer linked sucked. I don't get this jolt of energy rushing throught me to got get the movie

Back