Is there something I'm missing...

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I'm still pretty new to the WC community here so I might have missed something but...

There seem to be plenty of projects featuring mods for the WC games but (apart from Amarda) there seems to be no mention of multiplayer WC. I'd love to see a mod for WCP to play online against real players instead of the AI. I'm guessing that the biggest problem at the moment is either getting hold of the code or bandwidth restrictions on the net. But broardband might cure the conection problem.

Anyway, just curious

I asked this question as well, LOAF answered it for me. A WC:p expansion is out-of-the-question, since we'd need the source code from the game to make a MP add-on. Also, the WC:p team said it would've taken (I believe LOAF said) 20 people 6 months to finish the MP aspect.

I also am sore about this. A MP add-on would make us WC fans content for quite sometime and would definitely keep us busy if they released an MP editor along with it. Sadly, I don't see this happening. They should've released the MP option with Prophecy Gold while they were doing the add on. :(

It's a shame that there are no plans for MP WCP. The possibilities are amazing. Co-operative missions with your friends as wing men, deathmatches, team games... That would keep the entire WC community occupied for tears. And what about skins? You could fly your own ship and shape it like a burger if you wanted...

And broardband might allow you to stream your voice over the net while you play, allowing you could taunt and give orders as and when you wanted.

<sigh>

Pity there is probably no real market for it anymore

Don't get started on possibilities, you'll start sounding like Chip. ;)

But how many people can afford broadband connections, anyway?

Originally posted by Wedge009
But how many people can afford broadband connections, anyway?

Me and most people on Long Island. :)

Anyway, I don't know if a MP add-on really goes with Wing Commanders style. Judging by what I've seen in games like Freespace and Xwing vs Tie Fighter, Multiplayer games are mostly free for all melees. That doesn't really stick with the spirit of Wing Commander. Yeah it would be fun, but would it really have been a part of Wing Commander, or just a separate game packaged with it

Back