Is there any point of me attempting to play Wing Commander 2 on my XP or Windows 7?

Decay

Ensign
I have Super Wing Commander on Sega CD and 3DO, Wing Commander 3 on 3DO, Wing Commander 4 on PS1 and PC DVD, and Wing Commander Prophecy.

But can you believe it? I've NEVER gotten to play through the WC2 story. Always wanted to with Blair talking about the Concordia in WC3, I wanted to know what happened before that.

So now I'm ready to do what I can to get WC2 up and running. On either XP or Windows 7 if possible. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows 98 equipped pc.

So should I even bother trying to get it to run? What kinda hoops do I have to jump through?

You can get WC1 and WC2 for $5.99 from GOG. So if you are willing to spend six bucks I think you be able to play. :p

WC1/2 on GOG

Only thing is a comment says it doesn't include the expansions, is that just the expansion for WC1? Cause don't I already have that on my 3do Super Wing Commander version? Or is there an expansion pack for WC2 as well?

Also when GoG says it's Windows 7 compatible do they actually mean it? Or is there gonna be a buncha issues?

Also does WC1 and 2 support mouse aiming?

Finally, does this version of WC1 and 2 have voice acting?

If you can't wait for GOG to get the expansions, ordering the deluxe edition WC2 on CD off of ebay shouldn't set you back very far. It's pretty easy to set up and get running in dosbox. (I wouldn't bother with the Kilrathi saga version unless you just want it for your collection). If you need help setting it up we have a tech support walkthough for getting it to work.

If you can't wait for GOG to get the expansions, ordering the deluxe edition WC2 on CD off of ebay shouldn't set you back very far. It's pretty easy to set up and get running in dosbox. (I wouldn't bother with the Kilrathi saga version unless you just want it for your collection). If you need help setting it up we have a tech support walkthough for getting it to work.

Yea see I am not a fan of digital downloads in general, I like having physical games to feel like I actually "own" it. Not to mention Wing Commander games always have cool packaging and reading materials with them.

I might look into the CD version of WC2, but what's wrong with the Kilrathi Saga version?

Kilrathi Saga WC2... at least the add-ons are missing music and other elements. It works fine, It's just not worth worth the price premium people usually ask for it on ebay and such. WC3 KS version is a pain to run on modern systems though.

WC1 and 2 both have mouse control. WC2 Deluxe includes the speech pack but it's not really "full" speech. You get Speech on select cutscenes throughout the game and you get speech in the cockpit.

I'll probably pick it up on GoG even if I can't play the expansions, dosbox sounds too complicated. Not to mention i've tried it before and it was impossible getting my sound card to work.

I'll probably pick it up on GoG even if I can't play the expansions, dosbox sounds too complicated. Not to mention i've tried it before and it was impossible getting my sound card to work.

The GOG version is the Dos version. It's just prepackaged in dosbox so that you shouldn't have to set anything up. Also you can use the expansions with the gog version... just GOG doesn't have them available, so if you have the expansion disks or the CD version you can drop them into the GOG version.

Anyway dosbox isn't that complicated and we're willing to help you set it up if you decide to go that route.

Back