Is Origin Origin or EA?

Westwood as a brand is dead ... most of the crew were relocated to EA Pacific, though, and they're the ones producing the new C&C games. It's pretty much just a relabeling, as far as I can tell.

Damn these companies! Trying to make money! It's like... eh, it's too early in the morning to be horrifyingly sarcastic.

Bandit LOAF said:
Damn these companies! Trying to make money! It's like... eh, it's too early in the morning to be horrifyingly sarcastic.

Well at least you tried. I certainly don't have anything against seeking profit, I just kind of miss the little Westwood label is all.

EA Has a track record of pushing out games before thier time... case in point, Command and Conquer:Generals. The least stable game on earth.

I have no problem with EA except that they rush games out like Manic says, and appear to be taking everyone into the fold.
[Sarcasm]Soon EA will be the only gaming company left![/sarcasm]

Manic said:
EA Has a track record of pushing out games before thier time... case in point, Command and Conquer:Generals. The least stable game on earth.

You'll have a hard time convincing a *Wing Commander* group that EA rushes titles any more than any other studio. I'm pretty sure we're all still seething about WC4 being delayed until February '96. :)

Bandit LOAF said:
You'll have a hard time convincing a *Wing Commander* group that EA rushes titles any more than any other studio. I'm pretty sure we're all still seething about WC4 being delayed until February '96. :)
I dunno about that... personally I'm still seething about WCP being rushed out the door with no multiplayer :p.

But no ideed, EA does not rush titles out the door more than any other studio (except Blizzard, but they're special)... it's a practice that's very widespread and probably quite necessary as well.

WCP wasn't rushed out the door without multiplayer... multiplayer was never a serious possibility. *Advertising* multiplayer that they knew wouldn't happen is EA's fault in this case. :)

Poulton said:
Soon EA will be the only gaming company left

No need to worry about that, I'm sure Uncle Sam would decide that that's bad for us and quickly squelch their monopoly.

Manic said:

Really? It never-ever crashed on my rig. And I played all the three campaigns.

Weird???

Bandit LOAF said:
WCP wasn't rushed out the door without multiplayer... multiplayer was never a serious possibility. *Advertising* multiplayer that they knew wouldn't happen is EA's fault in this case. :)
Ah, ok, I didn't know that. Do you know what made the multiplayer an impossibility? I mean, did they run into technical problems, or is it something they gave up on early in developmend due to time/money constraints?

All I know (and it's probably the reason Q's asking about this, too) is that there are a lot of multiplayer "leftovers" in WCP's files, so it always seemed to me that the dev team dropped the idea after it was already being coded (and I'd call that a serious possibility :p).

Eder said:
All I know (and it's probably the reason Q's asking about this, too) is that there are a lot of multiplayer "leftovers" in WCP's files, so it always seemed to me that the dev team dropped the idea after it was already being coded (and I'd call that a serious possibility :p).
Yeah, that's indeed why I'm asking. Especially since it wasn't just Proving Grounds-style combat against other players. Some pilot and campaign stuff indicates that they had also planned a Starlancer-like cooperative mode.

My understanding is that the team informed management that they would be unable to do multiplayer in the time required at a very early stage - and that higher ups insisted that they go through the motions until it became absolutely clear that it wouldn't happen.

(As far as I know, the multiplayer 'left' in Prophecy is just the menus - which were appear in even the oldest design documents I have...)

(... per example, I have a binder which includes the multiplayer menus and a version of the script where Casey is a GE-Project orphan named 'Dane'. :))

Bandit LOAF said:
(... per example, I have a binder which includes the multiplayer menus and a version of the script where Casey is a GE-Project orphan named 'Dane'. :))

. . . You know you have to post that script now, right?

Back