Inverting the mouse in WC games that you play within DOSBox

Sharpshooter

Rear Admiral
Today, I happened to stumble upon a DOSBox thread which I thought might help some Wing Commander players.

As we know, in most WC games, the mouse is not inverted, but in WC Privateer, its Y axis is inverted - this can be a problem when, say, you've just played WC1 and you have to get used to the way the mouse behaves in Priv. So, you might find inverting the Y axis in DOSBox to be useful.

To do this, simply download the file named "ctm21b4x.zip" posted by tikbalang in this thread : http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=21456

Unzip it. The executable you want is ctmouseY.exe - it's in the "inverted" folder. Run ctmouseY.exe from within DOSBox before running the WC game you want to play. Note that this inverts the mouse for everything - missions, menus, ship/base scenes.

Here's an example with the GOG version of Privateer : copy and paste ctmouseY.exe into the game's folder (on my computer, it's C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Wing Commander Privateer\), then edit the dosboxPRIV.conf file in that same folder. Near the bottom of the file, in the [autoexec] section, add a line that says "ctmouseY" (minus the quotes, of course) above the line that says "priv.exe". There you go, from now on, the Y axis will be inverted whenever you launch the game using GOG's desktop shortcut (which essentially means that the mouse in Privateer will behave the same way as it does in other WC games).

Back