Intro-ducing Academy (March 6, 2004)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Intro-ducing Academy

Tired of hearing about the new high-resolution Wing Commander Academy episodes? Well, your wait is... going to continue for a while, as we struggle to find a way to host the new, larger episodes. In the mean time, however, feel free to enjoy the Wing Commander Academy introduction ripped by KrisV from the new versions! You can download the file here (8 megs), which gives the best look yet at the format of the new encodes!

This is actually one of two introductions used by Academy - the other, used for episodes two through seven, has a different piece of music. Here's some screenshots for those who don't want to download an eight meg file:

--
Original update published on March 4, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt we'd have many people seeding, and the tracker is cumbersome. We're instead looking at conventional means of distribution.

BT would be a great way to get it to everyone first, while the conventional means is examined.

After all, if say 100 people want to now, it's faster to use BT than to unleash 100 downloads via FTP.

Worf said:
After all, if say 100 people want to now, it's faster to use BT than to unleash 100 downloads via FTP.
You still need to start out with a number of people who have the complete files (3 gigabytes) and are willing and able to share. It's very rare right now for two people to be downloading the same episode at the same time, so we wouldn't gain much from the simultaneous download/upload system either. I'm sure some of you would be willing to seed, but I don't think it would be enough to move a terrabyte per month.

Though I love the format, using Torrents wouldn't make sense. I have a torrent for the complete second season of The Adventures Of Pete And Pete sitting on my desktop - which is roughly a little over 3 gigs of video. However, theres only 4 or 5 seeds at a pop and thus it would take 250+ hours to download that. I see the same fate for WCATV if we use this format.

I hate BT...it's seriously such a pain in the ass because I've never been able to download what is supposedly around. Why don't we just use Hotline and talk to each other over AIM, tell each other where the stuff is, and just get it off of the other person? My roommate and I did that when we decided to dump each others' collection of...pictures...on the other's hard drive. It didn't take more than 15 minutes on a T1 connection that goes as fast as a cable modem.

1.) Theres no point in using Hotline if you can just tell someone on AIM
2.) A T1 line is a touch different than a cable modem
3.) Cable Modems and other broadband lines have various ratings of speed, depending on the package you bought from your ISP.

And the P2P programs that handle partial files, like Kazaa and Emule? It would be painful and inefficient, but it's out there.

We should leave the P2P stuff to it's own end. They'll eventually get out there, I'm sure.

LeHah said:
1.) Theres no point in using Hotline if you can just tell someone on AIM
2.) A T1 line is a touch different than a cable modem
3.) Cable Modems and other broadband lines have various ratings of speed, depending on the package you bought from your ISP.

1) Yes there is, because you have to communicate with others as to where your harddrive is located, and you have to be given access to that person's harddrive.
2) It should be. You've apparently never attended College Misericordia. Our T1 connection blows, especially when it breaks down and the IT Department says that they'll "look into" installing the necessary stuff before the end of the week.
3) See above.

Also, my IP has changed from what it originally was, as I am home on spring break. I'm on my brother's computer which has a cable connection, and it's currently blowing the doors off what I have back at Misericordia.

Actually, torrents need only one seed - but once you get beyond a certain point, you can grab the entire show with zero seeds. The way BT works is similar to emule - everyone has a different part of the file, and they upload it to everyone else. That's the key to BT, and how you get speed. If you don't upload, you get dribbles.

There have been times I get crap download rates with 20+ seeds, but eventually it works itself out.

BT is horrible for files that are downloaded periodically and infrequently, but I'm sure for the initial rush, it'll be good. After all, we're forgetting that a horde of people are going to want it the instant it comes out. Once it tapers down, we can return back to traditional distribution methods.

Unless we're saying only 10 people at most are going to grab it the instant it comes out, whatever method that doesn't allow others to contribute will be sub-optimal.

Jacob said:
1) Yes there is, because you have to communicate with others as to where your harddrive is located, and you have to be given access to that person's harddrive.
2) It should be. You've apparently never attended College Misericordia. Our T1 connection blows, especially when it breaks down and the IT Department says that they'll "look into" installing the necessary stuff before the end of the week.
3) See above.

1.) You don't need to talk to someone verbally to get permission to access whatever files you want. It's just as effective as typing. And hell if I want to hear some annoying voice when I'm trying to get work done, especially on my computer.

2.) No, but I work for a university and know how badly students cram, destroy and ream the networks with totally unnessessary crap. You have nothing to do but to blame your friends and fellow students with that bitching, not the system admin.

This is totally off-topic - in other words, I loved that episode "Chain Of Command"!

1) Okay, true. Someone could post all of the stuff up on here.

2) I have nothing to do except blame the IT department for waiting until the damn thing actually broke to replace a part that they knew was starting to wear out. Yes, we do fill up the networks Monday through Thursday, however, that has nothing to do with the IT department's failure to plan.

I'm sure if it was possible for your Computer / Networking department to keep up with your lofty demands, it would be done. The most likely thing is that you people just plain overload the available resources - if you don't like it, get an outside networking line and pay for it yourself.

My roommate and I were actually considering signing up for Earthlink if they didn't get it repaired within the next day. However, they did install the part that Friday, right before they left, and they told the college this as they were leaving. Thus, if the part didn't work, they wouldn't have to come in until the next day.

Not surprising that it took them so long to repair it to begin with. It only effected my dorm, Alumnae, which we all call Slumnae because it's in the worst shape of all the dorms, and we always get repairs to our building last. The college believes that it's more important to cater to the needs of the residents of McHale, the dorm that fits more people, because God forbid something should happen to the kids in that dorm compared to the 99-100 people in Alumnae.

Back