Internet Connection

What Internet Connection do you have?

• I don´t have, i go to the Cybercafe

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Dial-Up (home)

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Dial-Up (University,school,friend,work)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ADSL-Cablemodem 128/256 Kb/s (home)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • ADSL-CableModem 128/256 Kb/s (University,school,friend,work)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • ADSL-Cablemodem 512 or higher (home)

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • ADSL-Cablemodem 512 or higher (University,school,friend,work)

• T1 or better (home)

• T1 or better (University,school,friend,work)

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
*YES* two other people! Who are they? We must form a legion of people either stuck in the past or too poor for broadband!

Originally posted by TC
I bet some crazy people still have ISDN lines...
In fact there are A LOT of people in Germany who still use ISDN and even 56k modems... why?

1. Not all areas of Germany have the option to use broadband
2. If they use the internet just for email or they are just online for a few hours a month in which they don't download any big files, why should they switch to broadband?

My ISP is weird. Download is 3 MB unchecked, but my upload is only 128 k. :(

P. S. I have the same ISP that Weasel uses when he's home.

Originally posted by Meson
P. S. I have the same ISP that Weasel uses when he's home.

Indeed. Sweet, beautiful cable modem, how I wish that I were with thee. Your bandwidth brings light into the dark night that my life has become.

Originally posted by TC
Pfft...

It's supposed to be "Dialup internet connections are so 1990s."

BBSes are 1980s... or early 1990s if you want to go that way...

Maybe... but I had a 300 baud dialup modem in 1987...?

Originally posted by Jochen
In fact there are A LOT of people in Germany who still use ISDN and even 56k modems... why?
1. Not all areas of Germany have the option to use broadband
2. If they use the internet just for email or they are just online for a few hours a month in which they don't download any big files, why should they switch to broadband?

Nobody said anything bad about 56k modems when there was no alternative.. but ISDN has a major case of "it's slower than broadband, but at least it costs more" going for it.

Cable... SUX HARD... Australian's all let us rebel... for telstra's a fucked up ISP... 3gb download limit per month 600KBPS download speed 128KBPS upload.

Indeed WW cable is great!
Sadly mine is 512 Kb/s to d/l and 128 Kb/s to upload and is the best service here :)

Originally posted by Darkmage
Cable... SUX HARD... Australian's all let us rebel... for telstra's a fucked up ISP... 3gb download limit per month 600KBPS download speed 128KBPS upload.

Aside from the quota, that's pretty standard.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Nobody said anything bad about 56k modems when there was no alternative.. but ISDN has a major case of "it's slower than broadband, but at least it costs more" going for it.
In Germany broadband is not available that long, so what I meant was that many people who already switched to ISDN before broadband became available keep using ISDN because the "fix costs" of "ISDN without broadband" and "analog-broadband-combined" are almost the same, but the "costs per minute" are higher using broadband if you are just online for a few hours a month, only if you pick a flat-rate or 20 hours+ broadband is cheaper than 20 hours ISDN-connection... furthermore, the "switching" from ISDN to "analog-broadband" costs $50 once not including a network card and/or DSL modem... what are the costs in the US for

analog?
ISDN?
analog with broadband?
ISDN with broadband?

In Germany, there is no option for "broadband via cable" yet AFAIK...

Originally posted by Jochen
what are the costs in the US for
analog?
ISDN?
analog with broadband?
ISDN with broadband?
In Germany, there is no option for "broadband via cable" yet AFAIK...

I'm not sure what you're referring to there.. 99% of residential broadband in the US is via cable or DSL. When you say analog, are you talking about DSL? DSL and Cable broadband are roughly the same price in the US.. $40-50 per month generally. Cable tends to have much higher download bandwidth with lower upload bandwidth compared to DSL. ISDN is a virtually obsolete method of internet connection here, but from what I've seen, it tends to be around $40 a month for only about twice the speed of dialup (compared to ten times the speed with the other forms of broadband).

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I'm not sure what you're referring to there.. 99% of residential broadband in the US is via cable or DSL. When you say analog, are you talking about DSL?
In Germany DSL is the only broadband connection the "normal household" can get and there is no broadband/DSL via cable...
so broadband always means DSL over a "special" phone line that can not be used for anything else...
it's realized by "splitting" the phone signal in different frequency areas or something like that...
I have no exact know-how about the technology so I can't explain it better...
analog means that you have just 1 line and can only use modems to access the internet... it about $12,50 per month
ISDN always includes 2 lines so you can connect with 64 or 128kbits (not offered by many ISP though)... it starts at $24 and offers some options, with all of them you pay around $30 a month
DSL then is always and option for either analog or ISDN...
analog with DSL costs the $12,50 + $15 for DSL...
ISDN with DSL costs the $24-$30 (see above) + "only" $5-8 (depends on when you first ordered DSL access)

Stuck on stupid 56k dial-up due to Telstra boycotting the Aussie BroadBand market .. however there is hope as there are a few companies thinking about, and some already, offering unlimited ADSL :D

OzForces should be coming into the market early next year as well .. I will probably sign up with them.. Check HERE for more info if you are a fellow aussie and interested

Cheers,:D

Originally posted by TC
I bet some crazy people still have ISDN lines...

Of course it's available via phone lines... that's the whole point of ADSL... it gives a broadband solution using the existing telephone infrastructure.

Asked qwest about that and they said we dont support that with our setup. in northern utah we have some kind of odd maltiplex that does not support asdn or 56k. the only broadband is in salt lake city.:mad:

Back