Interface Art

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
looks like that our interface v. 1.0 will die before being actually released. It was planned to be some sort of an interface a la Babylon Project. Now, however, we are working on a completely new interface art. I think it should look more like a real computer interface instead of the original Freespace one with background pictures and metallic looking buttons.

I am attaching a wip of our new main hall. Comments are, as always, welcomed.

Attachments

• 2_MainHall1.jpg
    2_MainHall1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 209
Damn jpg compression. These things look 2,3452 times better without it.
As Tolwyn said, We're going for new interface graphics in our mod and decided to replace the FSish interface we had before with something that real men would use. It has no nice renders in the background, shiny metal buttons and other crap that plagued the interfaces of most of the recent space sims, I tried to make it feel like a real computer interface; it should feel as if you're accessing some panel at a WC warship ans not like the standard FS trash; the style is somwhat a cross between the Homeworld interface and the WC4 ship selection screen. It's not ready yet and the buttons are still the old FS ones, but shows the directon I want to go: Tell me what you think, and give some advice how to make it better. ;)

Though still too big to attach, it's already compressed into jpg format, so it's more blurry than the original. Otherwise you'd have to download a 0,5 mb pic everytime you open this page :p

interface1.jpg

Nice, but you should use an actual ship interior as a mainhall. How about the Concordia?

*considers using an edited version of the WCSaga interface for Starforce*

I don't think so man :p

It's probably the best to choose some 'neutral' mainhall, cause I guess other people will create new campaigns for WCS, and that would require them to create a new mainhall, unless the pilot in their campaign serves on the same ship; and I don't even know if our main character stays at the same ship in all of our four releases. so it's best to choose some generic picture where everyone knows it's WC, but hat doesn't go into specifics.

Personally, I think it's doo damn blue and plain... I would have preferred something more WCP-ish, or even better, WC4-ish in style... you know, where the menus still looked like generic computer terminals, but without looking so dull and unrealistic... with things that looked like gray frames and colored buttons (I mean, actual buttons that you press, not areas on a screen like buttons on a touch-screen monitor :p) and stuff like that.

Right now it's like FS's original, except blue, with a more generic background, and the Confed logo. I mean, sure, it works, but IMHO it doesn't add anything to the player's immersion in the game (there's nothing in there that says "this is a computer terminal placed on a spaceship, of whatever class it may be").

I would too like such a frame around it and it would be possible too, but changing the button positions would require source code changes and I don't know if I'm evil enough to but extra work on our programmers back, but on the otherhand my monocle-wearing mustachetwirling twistedness is unpredictable :p :D

[EDIT]: You're absolitely right, Eder. Just fired up UE to gain some inspiration. While my blue interface is more immersive than the old one, it's nothing compared to the might of the WCP interface. I'll see what I can do :)

I hate the main menu font. It seems a bit over the top sci-fi. In my opinion you'd probably want to use something minimal, as you have now, but not so thick in appearance. I would recommend fonts like OCRB, OCRA, or Trade Gothic. They're great. I also think the blue and red sides are a bit over saturated too...

For the second picture, I'd go with Eder. I'd prefer something more like a WC3 or 4 computer terminal. To add to Eder's comment, what would be even better is if you scuffed up the computer terminal, maybe scratched it up, add some rust, fingerprints on top of the computer screen (I'm not sure if you could do that but that would rock if you could!). If the game takes place during the war, then it would make more sense that things seem a bit grubbier on ships.

Nah, they have off-duty communications officers to go polish all the screens on a ship. Especially the ones the mighty pilots would use.

For my part, I dont care much what the interface looks like as long as the game plays well. A simple computer-ish design would save time in the development as well as keep with "realism". After all, dont they still have keyboards in 2660? If you want to create and package a full retinal scanner with the program, however, I dont think you'll hear me complaining. ;)

Lynx said:
[EDIT]: You're absolitely right, Eder. Just fired up UE to gain some inspiration. While my blue interface is more immersive than the old one, it's nothing compared to the might of the WCP interface. I'll see what I can do :)
Hey, if you're gonna do something about it, check WC4 too... that one is even better than WCP IMHO.... even the Hellcat looked good in that weapon loadout computer terminal :p

Lynx said:
I don't think so man :p

I think so. It would be perfect once all the WC/Confed-related logos and stuff were replaced. And don't worry--you'll get nice spot near the top of the credits list.:p

Besides, the original FS2 interface is kind of ugly.

Speaking of interfaces, has anyone had any luck redesigning the FS2 interface in the FS1 style? That's even better than Lynx's blue one.

Woolie Wool said:
I think so. It would be perfect once all the WC/Confed-related logos and stuff were replaced. And don't worry--you'll get nice spot near the top of the credits list.:p

Besides, the original FS2 interface is kind of ugly.

Speaking of interfaces, has anyone had any luck redesigning the FS2 interface in the FS1 style? That's even better than Lynx's blue one.

Considering how you posted that stupid WC VS Freespace thread in the general WC forum, let's just say I consider your judgement a little suspect. Now piss off.

I am calm. I just calmly told him to piss off, that's all.

This isn't grade school Starsaint. There are such things as stupid, ill-researched, moronic questions by newbie fReEsPaCe TwO idiots.

Lynx knows what he is doing. Foolie Fool doesn't know shit.

One more followup, Starsaint.

I consider Foolie Fool undeniably unqualified in regards of posting stuff on the Wing Commander Saga issue. Reason is not only of his tendency to lean towards Freespace 2 (and I really tend to dislike diehard FrEeSpAcE fans), but of this one post here , in which he says he never played Wing Commander 3 before.

Considering how I understand the Freespace 2 mod will have a WC3 general theme (without a hint of FS2 in it, as I hate FS2 and I don't want anything FS2 technical in the mod, this means no stupid alien engine sounds, stupid laser fx, music, etc etc), I certainly wouldn't trust nor accept the recommendations of someone who hasn't bothered to play WC3 before. Maybe you do Starsaint, but I don't.

psych said:
One more followup, Starsaint.

I consider Foolie Fool undeniably unqualified in regards of posting stuff on the Wing Commander Saga issue. Reason is not only of his tendency to lean towards Freespace 2 (and I really tend to dislike diehard FrEeSpAcE fans), but of this one post here , in which he says he never played Wing Commander 3 before.

Considering how I understand the Freespace 2 mod will have a WC3 general theme (without a hint of FS2 in it, as I hate FS2 and I don't want anything FS2 technical in the mod, this means no stupid alien engine sounds, stupid laser fx, music, etc etc), I certainly wouldn't trust nor accept the recommendations of someone who hasn't bothered to play WC3 before. Maybe you do Starsaint, but I don't.

One thing you should know is that I do not take kindly to messages like yours. FYI, I have been trying out WC3 and I like it so far (but it's not as good as FS2). A lot of stuff can happen in two months. You come across as an arrogant, ugly, annoying person who thinks he's smarter than everyone else because he can come up with clever insults and flames. You're so bent on protecting your ego and defending your opinions that you react with hatred and rage to any people who believe that your precious Wing Commander is not the be-all end-all of space sims. You may not like my opinion, but I think FS2 is the new benchmark of space sims--until something comes along that's even better. If you disagree, fine. Nobody's making you agree with anyone. Feel free to disagree Don't flame people for not holding the same views though.

And I was in no way suggesting that anything from FS should be used in WCS. WC and FS2 don't mix well.

In short: Kiss my ass.

@Woolie Wool:

Do not flame against Psych he is the only one who is allowed to do so without beeing banned...everyone else will be.

Also consider his name...he is living to his name...so don't take it to serious...it not his fault beeing as he is.
-------------------------------------
Beside that all....FS2 is an good engine to use with Wing Commander as the WCP eninge is also very good. The choose of which engine to use or not belongs to the people working on it.
We have quite good experiances with the FS2 engine...others have that with the Vision engine.

I for excample like the more general darker look of the FS2 engine...while I like the real speedy Vision engine....I think the best engine would be one that combines the best of both worlds.
Both engines have things that I don't like and things that I like.

In this sence I would like both of you to stop any discusions about what engine is to use what for etc etc etc......
Well at last in this part of the forum, because it would belong more to the general chat. This topic is about the Interface that we are developing.

Back