Installing original WC3 on a Windows ME computer

Wildshot

Spaceman
I'm trying to install a copy of WC3 on my Compaq Presario laptop. First of all, I know alot of your don't like windows ME because it crashes all the time, but for the record, I have never had any trouble with that.

My problem is that whenever I attempt to install WC3, no matter which sound card I pick, the test sound options never work.

System properties says I have an ESS-Solo sound card. Please help.

I don't see why anyone should like or dislike ME more than any of the other 9x's.

Are you telling WC3 to use the proper I/O, IRQ and DMA? Every DOS game in existence hates the ESS cards.

Your ESS needs to be compatible with what you pick from the list. I'd stick to the regular Sound Blaster.

I went to the autoexec.bat and put in all the proper stuff, ports, IRQ, DMA blah blah, and now the setup freezes everytime I get to test the sound.

You should probably consider giving up and getting a real sound card then. I'm sure an SB Live Value can be had for under $30. And it runs all my old WC games just fine.

weird, I just installed it on my desktop which also runs an ESS solo, just not the laptop version, and it works perfectly fine.

I guess I'll just run it down here, its annoying though, I'd prefer to use it in my room.

Originally posted by Wildshot
I'm trying to install a copy of WC3 on my Compaq Presario laptop. First of all, I know alot of your don't like windows ME because it crashes all the time, but for the record, I have never had any trouble with that.

My problem is that whenever I attempt to install WC3, no matter which sound card I pick, the test sound options never work.

System properties says I have an ESS-Solo sound card. Please help.

I know this sounds dumb, but it's still worth trying: Screw the soundcard "testing phase", just pick the closest matched card, finish the REST of the install, and RUN the game: You may just find that the sound works OK once yer in the game. I've had dumb things like that work out before, oddly enuff...

Originally posted by KrisV
You should probably consider giving up and getting a real sound card then. I'm sure an SB Live Value can be had for under $30. And it runs all my old WC games just fine.

...about replacing the soundcard: You musta missed the guy's comment that his PC was a LAPTOP. My Presario laptop don't allow for swapping in a new sdcrd (or much of anything else, except RAM), so his probably don't either (mine also has an ESS chip). Too bad, cuz I'd like to swap in a new HDD (4 GB ain't quite enuff 4 me...).:cool:

I don't think you are going to be able to get these game to run on WinME. WC3 needs DOS and WinME does really support DOS. Plus this is a laptop which really are not the best platform for older games since everything is intergrated into the MB.

Today Laptop are design not to support DOS. Your sound chip (laptop's have a chip and not a card) most likely does not ever have a DOS driver. Also if this laptop is for work, speaking as a Systems Administrator I would strongly suggest against trying get DOS to work on your laptop for you may damage it. In which your boss would most likely not be please to hear.

WC3 usually runs just fine in a DOS box, so it doesn't matter which Win 9x version you're running.

Back