Installation Introspective (November 23, 2007)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

PC World has an informal article on complexity in the gaming market today. It takes issue with the view that multiple console versions is making things too difficult for consumers. The author correctly points out that setting up hardware and configuring software was significantly more difficult fifteen years ago, though the situation is clearly relative to the audience. As the number of people playing games grows, the average level of knowledge decreases. Wing Commander gets its usual shout-out in the piece. Not only did the series occasionally require highly optimized configurations, but drivers for all the new hardware devices that each WC game took advantage of also made setup more demanding. New players of the classic games have it easy today via services like GameTap where no arcane manipulation is required. Wing Commander fans with original DOS versions can also check out our Tech Support section if they need assistance.
Nostalgia trip. Anyone remember CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT? HIMEM and EMM386? DOS/4GW and MS-DOS mode in Windows 95? Setting IRQs and DMAs and I/O addresses manually to get a sound card to output properly? You could fill a small book with all the trials and tribulations PC gamers have had to endure over the years sussing out design quirks in hardware and software just to get games like The 7th Guest and Wing Commander and Doom running functionally (to say nothing of "optimally"). And that's drawing the starting line in the early 1990s.

--
Original update published on November 23, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been saying for years that kids these days are spoiled when it comes to computers. Plop a disc is a drive and the computer does everything for them. No conventional memory, no choosing between a sound card, joystick or mouse.

Lousy kids.

By the way, I got the package today, thanks!

And oh how would I like to have those times back...
Jumpers, config files, IRQs. None of that stupid Plug and Play stuff. Oh that were the times. One could actually solve problems other then reinstalling the whole PC.

Wow, cff, your glasses are probably as pink as they can be...
the DOS gaming era was a freaking nightmare, and even if you had all the best hardware, making games like WC2, Priv and Ultima 7 run was a permanent terror. I probably spent more time fiddling with those blasted memory settings and stupid config files than actually playing.

Not to mention that nowadays I have both cash and access to parts, so upgrading is not a distant impossible dream.

And I don't know about your current PC, but mine gives me no troubles on a daily basis, and when something happens, usually taking the part off and then putting it back in solves the problem.

I love the fact that I can just do a double click and play the god damned game, without fussing around. Even the older games that gave me so much crap back then run really fine now, thanks to DOSBox... It's all so transparent and more efficient.

eh? two words made all that trouble go away in the DOS era:

Boot Disk:

I had one for every game I owned at one point.

What can I say, you are talking to a big fan of the old school glory that was MSDOS.

why they had to muck up a good thing with windows 95 I'll never know.

(Windows 1,2 and 3 were just DOS shells)

Wow, cff, your glasses are probably as pink as they can be...
the DOS gaming era was a freaking nightmare, and even if you had all the best hardware, making games like WC2, Priv and Ultima 7 run was a permanent terror. I probably spent more time fiddling with those blasted memory settings and stupid config files than actually playing.

Not to mention that nowadays I have both cash and access to parts, so upgrading is not a distant impossible dream.

And I don't know about your current PC, but mine gives me no troubles on a daily basis, and when something happens, usually taking the part off and then putting it back in solves the problem.

I love the fact that I can just do a double click and play the god damned game, without fussing around. Even the older games that gave me so much crap back then run really fine now, thanks to DOSBox... It's all so transparent and more efficient.

It was different. For the time, it was fine. Tweaking settings like these was a hobby by itself. When the system was inflexible enough that it required all kinds of config changes to get a game running, a boot disk was a very convenient time saver. I actually crated a script of batch files that automatically changed my config/autoexec and rebooted the system when I wanted to play a certain game.

Once in a while I miss what that was like quite a bit, but that's not the same as wishing we had that today. Prior to playing a game in 1994, if I could get the memory and drivers set right in under 30 minutes I considered that pretty good. I can't even be bothered to run through an automatic installer to play things in 2007 though.

We had more time to spend on stuff like that before the internet arrived and started sucking everything up too.

There was a time when getting a motherboard with as many PCI slots as possible was fun. It doesn't matter at all to me now though, because I don't even want to open my case. Everything I buy just plugs into a USB port.

I dunno what you guys did wrong, but I optimized my config files ONCE and that was it for 99% of all games (exception was the two or three oddballs that didn't like EMM or even Himem). And that was handeled via a boot menu. A menu that my 3,4Ghz XP System STILL uses! No need for tons of bootdisks.

Regarding old floppies: Amazingly I did not encounter ANY dead floppy so far (for my own ones). For me floppies seem to either die immediately (less then 6 months of use) or never.

@Edfilho: Now tell me - when did you last reinstall Windows?

Well, that brings memories back...

My first game for my pc was wing commander academy (prior I fight on a amiga A600, playing wc I over and over again) and it was a pure nioghtmare to make this game run...

The system was good enough for academy: 486SX, 33Mhz, 4 MB of RAM... but the config autoexec was bad "written" ... I don't remember how often I type memmaker on the keyboard, hunting for every single byte of free ems memory...

Yeah, good old times.

Deacan

Yeah, I can't remember when I last re-installed windows.
And I keep installing and uninstalling games and apps and upgrading (I got to upgrade from a gf6600GT to a 7800GS without spending a penny) and adding new hard disks and plugging new USB stuff all the time...

I mean, getting the Guardian to actually SPEAK in Ultima 7 was almost impossible, thanks to the god damned proprietary memory manager. Now I can delight myself with 5.1 real 3d positional sound on my lovely X-Fi card without even looking at another LOADHIGH line. And playing Priv is actually a lot more fun now, thanks to modern hardware and DOSBox. You know, I had terrible memories of gameport Joysticks, but now my Logitch extreme 3d works on any and every game I try.

And no way would WC2, WC3, WC4, Priv, Ultima VII and VIII and Doom work all on the same boot config. It was a nightmare. Today I have all those games plus about 30 more installed, and they all run really well after a simple double-click. I couldn't even buy the id games back them, they were not sold around here, but just a few months ago I both almost all of the id games in a single pack through steam, and they all got downloaded and installed without my supervision. The endless wonders of the digital age. I love them. I could never ever go back... I have no idea what's the IRQ of my X-Fi, because it's irrelevant. I don't need to care, because it won't conflict with a 33600 modem, or a keyboard, or the serial mouse anymore. I'm so glad I don't have to wait almost 5 minutes before the missions are loaded in WC3, it's almost instantaneous. The "fussing-to-actually-gaming" ratio nowadays is so much better.

Anyway, if you love DOS so much, there is no law against reinstalling it ;) And there's always Linux.

It was different. For the time, it was fine. Tweaking settings like these was a hobby by itself. When the system was inflexible enough that it required all kinds of config changes to get a game running, a boot disk was a very convenient time saver. I actually crated a script of batch files that automatically changed my config/autoexec and rebooted the system when I wanted to play a certain game.

Once in a while I miss what that was like quite a bit, but that's not the same as wishing we had that today. Prior to playing a game in 1994, if I could get the memory and drivers set right in under 30 minutes I considered that pretty good. I can't even be bothered to run through an automatic installer to play things in 2007 though.

We had more time to spend on stuff like that before the internet arrived and started sucking everything up too.

There was a time when getting a motherboard with as many PCI slots as possible was fun. It doesn't matter at all to me now though, because I don't even want to open my case. Everything I buy just plugs into a USB port.
I think part of why we did it was because the games were simply more exciting back then. There will never be another game that makes such a big splash as Wing Commander.
I'm so glad I don't have to wait almost 5 minutes before the missions are loaded in WC3, it's almost instantaneous. The "fussing-to-actually-gaming" ratio nowadays is so much better.
Atomic batteries to power.
Turbines to speed.

I dunno what you guys did wrong, but I optimized my config files ONCE and that was it for 99% of all games (exception was the two or three oddballs that didn't like EMM or even Himem).

You had to be some kind of special case. Just going from WC game to WC game required some tweaking for most people - from very high conventional mem requirements in WC2 to Academy requiring EMS to sound card/CD-ROM configurations in all the games, particularly beginning with WC3.

@Edfilho: Now tell me - when did you last reinstall Windows?

I don't think I've ever had to reinstall XP.

I'm so glad I don't have to wait almost 5 minutes before the missions are loaded in WC3, it's almost instantaneous.

It was more than that for many missions for me. And WC3 was the best selling/most highly reviewed game up to that point. Imagine what even one-minute load times would do to a game today. If the game doesn't seamlessly integrate loading into some door-opening/elevator/briefing type of mechanism, people get annoyed.

Easy stuff, basically all the issues involved in this discussion made me an admin.

You can get an MCSE or MCDBA with covering processes far from half of my knowledge. But somehow these people can't even handle a command line, and it is me and google who find the awnser.

Honestly, certified MCSE's
- Do not know their way in the command line. or to even think about using the "/?" flag
- Do not know what a local administrator account is.
- Do not understand that exchange-experts or eventid has the awnsers to their problems.
- Refer to every command line interface as "dos".
- Reinstall computers, forget the graphics driver, and say "eh, you have colors and stuff so it works"
- etc,

Please, i read their books, did the exams, and they cover all these things, they turn the page and forget.

And wing commander wasn't THAT hard to get running, even an XT/8086 equipped with 640k of memory and an EGA graphics could run the original, granted, not optimal. and WC1 and two featured no bootdisk options, WC3 was tough to get running, and it took me 9 months to grab the cash and build a new system+purchase the game in order to play it. Thesame system ran WC4 without any problems. Prophecy required I installed windows.

Optimizing was the problem. Getting to free the needed EMS memory to enable speech in wing commander two, or getting it to run on your gravis ultrasound.

But hey, kids spoiled? do not know the underlying workings of computers, or the OSI model layers? well, I'll always have a job.

Technology is modern magic, you can NOT for instance become an expert in cars if you do not understand how the engine actually works. Unfortunately, that's how society here solves it today, if you do not know how it works, try, give up and ask someone else to fix it.

Technology is modern magic, you can NOT for instance become an expert in cars if you do not understand how the engine actually works. Unfortunately, that's how society here solves it today, if you do not know how it works, try, give up and ask someone else to fix it.

That can be a good thing. People may or may not be spoiled, but it's not really for lack of knowing how the inner workings of their computer operates. Most people have no interesting in figuring out the more complicated parts of their car either. As the number of people using something grows, you'd expect less and less to be intimately knowledgable.

I'm so glad I don't have to wait almost 5 minutes before the missions are loaded in WC3, it's almost instantaneous. The "fussing-to-actually-gaming" ratio nowadays is so much better.

5 minutes?! I took my computer half an hour to load them sometimes.

Yeah, I can't remember when I last re-installed windows.
And I keep installing and uninstalling games and apps and upgrading (I got to upgrade from a gf6600GT to a 7800GS without spending a penny) and adding new hard disks and plugging new USB stuff all the time...

Respect. Cannot claim that degree of robustness for my sandbox/test partition.

And no way would WC2, WC3, WC4, Priv, Ultima VII and VIII and Doom work all on the same boot config.

Cannot comment on Ultima - never played that series. The rest is a definite yes - all run under one config. The only troublesome component here is Privateer and the 16MB EMM limit with a soundblaster.

What I find surprising is that you list Doom. Doom in my experience is THE game when it comes to 'will run at all times'. If Doom refuses to run you might as well just trash your whole hardware.

Anyway, if you love DOS so much, there is no law against reinstalling it ;) And there's always Linux.

Thats why people like me have like 10 bootable partitions...

You had to be some kind of special case. Just going from WC game to WC game required some tweaking for most people - from very high conventional mem requirements in WC2 to Academy requiring EMS to sound card/CD-ROM configurations in all the games, particularly beginning with WC3.

More like: I did take my time to do it properly ONCE. Any yes, that might have taken more then one afternoon to get there. And yes, they are really beasts of config files. I can post them if someone is interested.

Cannot comment on Ultima - never played that series. The rest is a definite yes - all run under one config. The only troublesome component here is Privateer and the 16MB EMM limit with a soundblaster.

What I find surprising is that you list Doom. Doom in my experience is THE game when it comes to 'will run at all times'. If Doom refuses to run you might as well just trash your whole hardware.

Yeah, Doom was easy too run, and still is. But damn, Priv, wc2 and WC3 had wildly different hardware and mem config demands... WC3 needed lots of EMS or XMS, while Priv needed you to NOT have any of that turned on, thanks to that god damned mem manager. Like Ultima VII. Those games just pulled you in opposite directions. I'm talking about running those games with all the cool shit turned on, like sound, speech, the cockpit animations... I never knew that there was the pilot hand in WC1 until KS, thanks to all that mem config bullcrap (wc1 was my first PC game). Even if you had a good machine with a Sound Blaster 16, you had to clear up most of the low 640kb in order to have all the animations in wc1 and 2.

I don't mind a little bit of tuning and fussing around on my machines, I love tuning stuff up, I still love pc gaming very much (while still loving portable and console gaming, much to my wife's desperation), but the required amount of machinery shenanigans in the DOS era was waaaaaay too much.

And Crid is right, most people don't want and don't need to understand most of the technology... And they shouldn't. Maybe everyone should have a minimum technical knowledge, it is always good to grasp the basic principles (ugh, i hate that expression) of stuff like cars and computers... But very few people need to know how to fix car engines or troubleshoot pcs and macs and consoles (yeah, you can troubleshoot videogame consoles these days). I mean, I know how a car engine works, in a generic sense, but I'll be damned if I need to freaking open it up and fix stuff. Especially today, in the electronic engine age. Unless you're some sort of Asperger techinical genius, you just won't know all about all kinds of machines. I know some things about PCs, not a lot, but a lot more than the regular joe and jane (people ak me to fix their machines), and I know how to set up a basic home theater, and so on, but I know shit about lots of other stuff. Don't bother giving me a soldering iron.

Concerning "Games were just more exciting back then": that's really subjective. I don't think games went worse or anything. There is still plenty of awesome and incredible new games that provide unforgettable experiences today. I just had a blast with Company of Heroes, Bioshock, All three Orang box games, STALKER, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Ace Combat Zero, all this year, among many, many games. Sure, I'd love to have a new full WC game on my PC, with all the great WC storytelling and all new and shiny graphics and sound, but I can't complain, in general. Gaming is doing mighty fine, and it will keep getting better. Damn, The reason I still dont have an Xbox360 (with Arena and Dead Rising and Ace Combat 6) and a Wii (with Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and so on) is that they're too expensive around here (and the xbox breaks too damn much, too).

heh, I remember being 6 years old and struggling to set up proper boot disks for Falcon 3.0, Xwing and WC2. I had an old Zeos 486, pretty good for the time. All I wanted to do was play the game, and I just didn't understand why it was so much more difficult than fireing up SNES and Super Mario World...:D

I do remember being proud of the fact that I was into PC gaming at the time...most of my other friends sticked with the nintendos and segas....

When I look back on it though, those days forced me to gain a certain level of understanding with computers than perhaps I would have otherwise. Fast forward to summer 2003 when I worked as an intern in a law office. Someone had computer issues, and I remember resolving the problem through the command prompt simply because it was familiar to me. All these lawyers suddenly thought I was THE computer guy.

Honestly, I didn't really know what I was doing. I fixed the computer at the time, and always seemed to bumble my way to solutions for future requests (which then became frequent), but really, I just learned these tricks from gaming.

Back