Initial reaction to WC movie in '99

Interesting...Loaf, do you consider the visual style of the movie to be a reimagining of Wing Commander? In other words do you believe the Claw pictured in the movie is merely a reimagined or illustrated Bengal or do you buy into someone's theory (I heard it floating around here recently...can't remember who's it was) that the claw in WC 1 was a refitted or redesigned ship. If so then we have a bit of a problem...you've got the WC Academy Claw that looks quite similar to the WC 1 claw but in between them you have the WCM claw that looks different from both. If the theory of a retrofit/redesign is true then that means you've got a carrier that has been redesigned at least twice in less than a year...highly unlikely. :)

I can answer that one for ya. When Chris Roberts envisioned Wing Commander 1, he had it heavily influenced from Star Wars and didn't worry about any infringements (he didn't expect the game to get quite so popular). When making the movie, he wanted the World War 2 element in space to remain, but wanted to stay away from being similar to Star Wars as much as he could to prevent being called a rip-off, etc. So, he designed the ships in the movie to match the WW2 feel of the movie, which explains why the Concordia looks like it has a sea-going ship's hull, and the 'Claw looking like a submarine.

Maj.Striker said:
Interesting...Loaf, do you consider the visual style of the movie to be a reimagining of Wing Commander? In other words do you believe the Claw pictured in the movie is merely a reimagined or illustrated Bengal or do you buy into someone's theory (I heard it floating around here recently...can't remember who's it was) that the claw in WC 1 was a refitted or redesigned ship. If so then we have a bit of a problem...you've got the WC Academy Claw that looks quite similar to the WC 1 claw but in between them you have the WCM claw that looks different from both. If the theory of a retrofit/redesign is true then that means you've got a carrier that has been redesigned at least twice in less than a year...highly unlikely. :)

Not to mention the Super Wing Commander one.

Haha...well Super Wing Commander also had the main character named 'Armstrong' instead of Blair, Talons as Grathas, and Gladii as Raptors:eek: Especially since the main character has a different name, SWC probably isn't considered canon (probably!).

Interesting...Loaf, do you consider the visual style of the movie to be a reimagining of Wing Commander? In other words do you believe the Claw pictured in the movie is merely a reimagined or illustrated Bengal or do you buy into someone's theory (I heard it floating around here recently...can't remember who's it was) that the claw in WC 1 was a refitted or redesigned ship. If so then we have a bit of a problem...you've got the WC Academy Claw that looks quite similar to the WC 1 claw but in between them you have the WCM claw that looks different from both. If the theory of a retrofit/redesign is true then that means you've got a carrier that has been redesigned at least twice in less than a year...highly unlikely.

I do not believe this.

Frustratingly, this belief is often attributed to me as evidence that my claims regarding the movie are insane. I made my peace with different styles for the visual look of the same ships in 1990; the blueprints don't match the Claw Marks don't match the in-game sprites don't match the 'cut scene' drawings. If that didn't set the idea in my mind, Super Wing Commander and the Academy TV series surely drained any vestigaes.

The reason I'm often credited with this kind of thought is because I believe there are explanations of the different specifications and histories provided in the Confederation Handbook. That is to say that I believe there's a smaller, less massive pre-2644 Bengal-class ship that matches the specifications in TCH... and, in the most famous and extreme case, that the movie Rapier isn't the same fighter as the game's Rapier II. These things are true because of the ships histories and specifications, though, *not* because of how they happen to look in the movie.

Haha...well Super Wing Commander also had the main character named 'Armstrong' instead of Blair, Talons as Grathas, and Gladii as Raptors Especially since the main character has a different name, SWC probably isn't considered canon (probably!).

Well, remember that the main character didn't have a name in the original game -- you entered your own last name and everyone called you that. He's been called everything from 'Phoenix' to 'LaFong' to 'Bluehair' to 'Dipstick' in pre-WC3 productions. :)

hmm i do not know if anyone would have peace with the movie claw remaining with a constantly opened flight deck due to damage, and have a new back section added to it to profit from its new engines(which were destroyed, and the ship had a 'major refit', according to claw marks) and more turrets including an offensieve capability(the end of WC1 where the carrier engages... well... 'something', the base
was already destroyed by yourself?

hmm maybe too easy :rolleyes:

Did Chris Roberts ever make a truthful personal comment on how the movie turned out? Did he say how he wanted it to fit in the universe? Did he reach all his goals in the movie? Was he able to portray his initial idea of Wing Commander properly?

DyNaMiX said:
Did Chris Roberts ever make a truthful personal comment on how the movie turned out? Did he say how he wanted it to fit in the universe? Did he reach all his goals in the movie? Was he able to portray his initial idea of Wing Commander properly?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

ok, I'm going to chime in on this one even though it has been like 3 weeks, but I was pretty annoyed by the movie, first off, story line discrepancies and design changes aside, in some respects it seemed like they werent even trying to transpose it from PC to silver screen, I mean come on how hard was it to get an actress who speaks with a convincing french accent to play angel? they did it for WC3, the same goes for paladin, he's supposed to be scottish...not french how hard is it to get someone to do a convincing scottish accent, or even get a real scottsman, now that alone was enough to bug me, but then there is the problem of maniac and blair being best buddies, now I haven't played the first two games in some time, but didn't they always butt heads from day one? and then there is the whole pilgrim thing, I just thought that was a waste of time, you could have had blair save the day in any number of ways that didn't require him to have 'pilgrim' heritage, his claim to fame is being a great pilot, overall I didn;t mind the main plot, it was actaully one of the only bright points of the whole movie, as far as WWII in space, I tend to think that the WWII fighter jock film is actually more overdone that star wars copies. Now if Chris Roberts wanted to make his original vision, he should have done it as a game that was a remake of the original using his original vision and see how everybody likes it, afterall it was the original story line that everybody loved and got the title it's fame. Ok well that's my rant, feel free to argue with it if you like, but I do feel the film could have been written a whole lot better, enough to allow for one or two more sequels and play out the entire kilrathi war on the big screen

Back