Incorrect Manuals

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Ive read several times on the board that the manuals are incorrect for several of the games. I was just wondering if there was a comprehensive article on these errors that also gives the correct figures. Thanks

Ya what a bummer, the manual doesnt match up to the game specs. Oh the humanity! The world has stopped! The sky is falling! :p

Tip: Ignore the incorrect manuals. Just play the games. :D

Hey I dont have every WC product on the market like some of the people on this board so excuse me if i ask a question. I know people here like to give snappy little superior answers because they are all knowing about a video game. A simple question on the true stats of the game should not engender a sarcastic response

And some on this board take things WAY out of context too.

Anyway, I think your best bet is to search thru the fan projects and find corrected specs/stats for the games.

Dont worry, your not alone when it comes to having a library full of game manuals that are incorrect.

reminds me of the time I had bought WC1 and didnt have claw marks, to answer the various questions it asked when the game loaded, i guessed incorrectly, until i had gotten to the question on maniac's age

I was always too lazy to whip out the manual too - like many others I'm sure, I just memorised the Ralaris mass, the 'safe' asteroid speed, the neutron gun introduction date, and the acreage of conservation forest, or whatever it was. :)

No, no, no. The old days of copy protection. It was a naive attempt - not that I practised it, but it was simple enough to copy the codes as well as the game.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I was always too lazy to whip out the manual too - like many others I'm sure, I just memorised the Ralaris mass, the 'safe' asteroid speed, the neutron gun introduction date, and the acreage of conservation forest, or whatever it was. :)

18000, 250, not sure, 75000? :)

I didn't memorize the one from SM1 very well because my copy had no "manual" (I bought it used).

Originally posted by Wedge009
No, no, no. The old days of copy protection. It was a naive attempt - not that I practised it, but it was simple enough to copy the codes as well as the game.

I dunno. I actually still think that protection was rather good. It prevents the private piracy remarkably well as you cannot just quick copy the game, but you also have to copy the whole manual which is considerably time and money consuming.
Of course with the web it's much less effective now, as you'd get a list with all needed responses very fast...

Yeah, but some games were just too had to play without manuals. That type of copy protection solved that problem. Some products, especially from LucasArts, came with some elaborate discs you had to spin and stuff to found out some combinations, and could not easily copy. Of course people found out a way to figure out a text file with the possible results or just crack the game.

I might be mistaken, but so far every single attempt to copy-protect a game has failed miserably, in a way or another, if there's a lot of people wanting to copy that game.

I mean, how much time does it take to crack a game? Considering that sometimes piracy/warez groups get the game even before its released, people might download a game illegally from the net before they can even buy it.

It's unlikely that any NET or DMCA laws will change this.

Hey Delance, I like the Freelancer reference in your signature line! I always laughed at that line in the game. :D

Originally posted by Delance
I might be mistaken, but so far every single attempt to copy-protect a game has failed miserably, in a way or another, if there's a lot of people wanting to copy that game.

In the end I guess it really comes down to morals, lack of knowledge, or just plain wanting to pay the people to make a sequil or expansion pack. At the very least, though, copy protection midly frustrates pirates. Every time a patch comes out, you have to download a new crack, and newer games that require serial numbers are practically impossible to play online without a legal number (or a really good friend).

Originally posted by Ijuin
Hey Delance, I like the Freelancer reference in your signature line! I always laughed at that line in the game. :D

Yeah, it's very funny. The way the people shake their arms when they say that is especially funny.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Every time a patch comes out, you have to download a new crack, and newer games that require serial numbers are practically impossible to play online without a legal number (or a really good friend).

That has been so far the most successful way serials have been working to copy-protect games. Counterstrike has boosted the sales of Half Life a lot. The game is still sold, nowadays, almost entirely for the serial number alone. It's somewhat irrational when you think about it.

Back