In Our Dreams (December 16, 2005)

Oh hey, you're the guy I gave Strike 1 and 2 warnings to in the other thread. Thanks for reminding me.

scottandfiddle said:
And actually accordiding to the rules I only broke one rule on my last post! That was rule 5 for saying "Shite" but I did not protest on the fourms about you mistaking the rules! And I'm not now! Just pointing out that your wrong!
*sound of a boxing bell*
*in a boxing commintators voice*
Who will win this battle to the death? The well known and admin of these fourms ChrisReid or the newbie or as Manic would call Pleeb Scottandfiddle? Find out after these messages!

Strike 3. You should have listened to AD.

Come on Chris I want to hear other peoples opinion about what they hope to see in the next Wing Commander game! Not see you moan at someone saying he's wrong when he was right! and you had to ban him as it turned out your right! You make me sick and seem to be like a Nazi! Not letting other people have their say without being scared!

Unregistered said:
Not see you moan at someone saying he's wrong when he was right! and you had to ban him as it turned out your right!
Ban him? You do realise that your IP number is displayed here, and indicates very clearly that you and him are one person?

Quarto said:
Ban him? You do realise that your IP number is displayed here, and indicates very clearly that you and him are one person?
can't balme a guy for trying! hehe!

Actually, I can. I wasn't overly happy with seeing you banned in the first place, but the generic "you're a Nazi" anonymous schtick pretty much means you won't be included in the general Christmas amnesty.

Bandit LOAF said:
Actually, I can. I wasn't overly happy with seeing you banned in the first place, but the generic "you're a Nazi" anonymous schtick pretty much means you won't be included in the general Christmas amnesty.
Ok saying he was like a nazi was a bit over the top! But more or less he was saying I was wrong when I was right! Nazi's did styff more or less that by changing what children learned at school to nazi textboxs so Germany was powerful throughout history for example! And they more or less abused their power too! I apologize to any war vets, jews or Germans for any insult!
p.s. I didn't call him a nazi just said he acted like one (though as I said that was a bit over the top!)
p.s.s. thanks for beliving in me LOAF!

:eek:

Wowie...

*finishes reading through the entire thread, then slowly shakes it off*

Anyway, thanks for referencing the article, LOAF. Even as a lesser Wing Commander fan (i.e. one who has profoundly less memorabilia than some), it's always exciting to see positive comments about the series and a hope for its eventual return resonating throughout different masses of people worldwide. :)

As for the commentary on the Mantu, thanks for that as well...read through it multiple times just to develop a clearer image of the race already conjured up in my head (with the exception of your post, the only accumulated information in my brain about it comes from the ICIS manual and whatever was listed in the Encyclopedia here). With all the ground I'm covering in my own little post-Prophecy trilogy and all the ideas I'm juggling, it might be best to hold off on writing anything about the Mantu, Double Helix, etc., unless I wanted to reference them very briefly. Ehhh who knows...if I ever finish this thing, I may consider another story about the Mantu and/or Double Helix at some point in the future...though I may not want to touch the Double Helix with a fifty foot pole. Hrmm just what in the heck is an "arthropod" anyway? :)

At any rate, exciting little article there, so my thanks to LeechMachine for finding it and you for relaying it, LOAF, as well as for the info. on the Mantu. I always do my best to keep up on all this alien lore; it's always helpful when writing about these races and characters to know their relations and history towards one another so you can be true to each. So once again, thanks. :)

Anyway, felt the compulsion to say something in order to help this thread come full circle, and I also wanted to speak up since I haven't said a peep on here for a month or two now, despite visiting it every weekday. :)

Take care, all, and again (as if I haven't said it enough) thanks. :)

- FireFalcon ~};^

Hrmm just what in the heck is an "arthropod" anyway?

Well, we're touching on an odd retcon/contradiction here. In the original Claw Marks the Double Helix are "carbon-based arthropods which communicate through scents and pheromones"... but in all later printings, including Super Wing Commander and The Kilrathi Saga, they're "carbon-based anthropoids which communicate through scents and pheromones".

That is to say, we don't know whether they're supposed to be smelly spiders (arthropods) or smelly monkeys (anthropoids).

At any rate, exciting little article there, so my thanks to LeechMachine for finding it and you for relaying it, LOAF, as well as for the info. on the Mantu. I always do my best to keep up on all this alien lore; it's always helpful when writing about these races and characters to know their relations and history towards one another so you can be true to each. So once again, thanks.

No problem, happy to do it. There's a somewhat cleaned up/enhanced version in my livejournal.

Checked out your journal entry, LOAF. It's pretty much a rehashed version of what you posted in this thread or....*compares the dates* vice-versa? At any rate, still a good read, so thanks for sharing. :) I'll try and do my part the next time I see one of those "the Nephilim are the Mantu" inaccurate theory discussions pop up. :)

As for the Double Helix...heh, thanks for adding a whole other level of complexity to things! :) I again bow to your superior Wing Commander knowledge...I hadn't realized there was a discrepancy in the explanation of the Double Helix in different sources. Smelly spiders or smelly monkeys are the choices, huh? Or is "arthropods" a general group that includes insects? I guess based on the very brief description, I came to think of them as something similar to ants.

At any rate, I suppose that's a discussion for some other time, and as I already said, it wouldn't be included in the huge trilogy I'm working on anyway...so such knowledge would just be for my random miscellaneous edification rather than important as any kind of plot point I mean to introduce anytime in the next eon. :)

Maybe if and when the time comes, I'll start up a new thread about it to bounce ideas off you and the rest of the community about the little known subject of the Double Helix and the Mantu (unless, of course, such a discussion has been raised on these boards to the Nth degree already, and I'd just be bugging everybody by repeating history). :)

But anyway, thanks again for everything as always, LOAF.

And:
Chevieblazer said:
propably smelly four-legged spiders with tails who love to climb

Heh, now there's a thought. :) That's one crazy idea...I guess you never know, but the thought of a smelly four-legged spider with a prehensile tail swinging from tree to tree creeps me out. :)

As always, take care, everybody, and thanks for the brief little side chat here. :)

Rock on.

- FireFalcon ~};^

Hehe, I do like the monkey-spider visual. It's weeeeird.

Arhtorpods includes insects, crustaceans, spiders and centipede-type critters... I guess I'd kind of like to see space crabs at some point.

Given the pheromone communication system I'd tend to think that the true answer would not be monkeys. Also it would seem like a horrible way to describe semi humanoid creatures.

I'm still dumbfounded that EA has done nothing with the husk of the Wing Commander series that they recieved when they absorbed Origin into their bloated innards. Instead of releasing "Medal of Honor Expansion #5", they could do well to take their collective heads out of their collective asses and realize the lucrative market for another WC game.

The next Wing Commander game should have the following features:
-MULTIPLAYER. I mean actual multiplayer. I'm talking dogfighting, Carrier VS Carrier, Cooperative Play, and Teamtalk support, so us Wing Commander Fans can insult eachother with greater frequency.
-Both a Terran and a Kilrathi campaign. When you play as the Kilrathi, it takes place right after the Terran missions leave off, and should be an aadded challenge. This could fit right in with a Terran/Kilrathi Alliance.
-Good graphics. Computers have progressed enough that we could see some truely awesome ships. Think about it: a spaceship is way easier to model than a person.

I'd kind of like to see space crabs at some point.
Here's a potential inspiration: Lovecraft's Fungi from Yuggoth.
http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/pics/mi-go_bw02.jpg

Fatcat said:
I'm still dumbfounded that EA has done nothing with the husk of the Wing Commander series that they recieved when they absorbed Origin into their bloated innards. Instead of releasing "Medal of Honor Expansion #5", they could do well to take their collective heads out of their collective asses and realize the lucrative market for another WC game.
And where, pray tell, is this lucrative market? EA isn't run by idiots who arbitrarily decide that there's a market for this and no market for that - it's run by people smart enough to look at statistics, sales patterns and so on to determine what there really is a market for. If there was a lucrative market for another WC game, they'd already have released on.

cff said:
Given the pheromone communication system I'd tend to think that the true answer would not be monkeys. Also it would seem like a horrible way to describe semi humanoid creatures.
Well, you have to remember that terms like "arthropod" and so on are really just used to evoke a certain image - obviously, the Double Helix are neither arthropod nor anthropoid, because in order to be either of those, they would have to be from Earth (in the same way, the Kilrathi aren't really felines :p ). Since they're not from Earth, there's certainly no reason for us to assume that they can't be weird smelly monkey-spider creatures.

Electronic Arts paid for every Wing Commander title from Wing Commander 2 Deluxe forward -- they've certainly done a lot with the license.

Electronic Arts paid for every Wing Commander title from Wing Commander 2 Deluxe forward -- they've certainly done a lot with the license.
I'm saying, they own the license, but have not tried to release another Wing Commander game. And as for the lucrative market, not many space flight sims have been released recently, and Wing Commander is very well known.

fact is that the game audience has changed. they make money on selling the games, it is better for them to sell more copies to people who play it and leave it, then people who will be replaying their once-bought copy for over ten years.

you and i want wing commander 6, many more want fifa 2006 or NFL 2006. like any company, be sure to make products who sell best in the first place.

and they have done a lot with the license, wing commander 3 and 4 were very big-budgeted games, and the money to create this was coming from EA. they did not just buy the license, they have used it, and still preserve it, while they do not earn a single dollar from it these days. if they planned to never use it again, it would have been up for sale, and i'm pretty some people here would invest their live savings to obtain it. but those live savings are peanuts for a company like EA.

Fatcat said:
I'm saying, they own the license, but have not tried to release another Wing Commander game. And as for the lucrative market, not many space flight sims have been released recently, and Wing Commander is very well known.

I don't think you understand, Electronic Arts released nearly *every* Wing Commander game. EA didn't buy Origin and close up shop -- they owned Origin through pretty much the entire Wing Commander franchise.

Fatcat said:
I'm saying, they own the license, but have not tried to release another Wing Commander game. And as for the lucrative market, not many space flight sims have been released recently.

Right, so with a less crowded market, those space sims should have done pretty well, and they very much have not for the most part. As LOAF already clearly pointed out, EA released almost the entire Wing Commander series, and there were half a dozen serious attempts to release games after Secret Ops that didn't pan out for one reason or another.

Back