In hindsight, the Wing Commander movie was a masterpiece.

'...only black person with a name...' huh? I was pretty sure at one point Hugh Quarshie was referred to as "Mr Obutu" by Tolwyn or someone else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, Mr Obutu is a relatively prevalent character on the Claw bridge. The Helmsman is also black, though nameless. I don't have time to look but at a glance his name tag end with Duce...

There's a Black male pilot in all the mess hall scenes and you see him (Knight) flying a broadsword.

Just a thought, but maybe the reason the Blair and Maniac aren't black is because they aren't in the games either (Nor Tolwyn or Paladin).

'...only black person with a name...' huh? I was pretty sure at one point Hugh Quarshie was referred to as "Mr Obutu" by Tolwyn or someone else, correct me if I'm wrong.

It was Captain Sansky, but you're right, he was a named character. And there's Knight for all of about 10 seconds in the film too.

Edit

AD beat me to it

The race criticism is awkward. You could use the same set of facts to argue, for instance, that the movie went out of its way to ADD a black lead alongside those already established in the game... and that a major part of it relies entirely on humanizing her/treating her as the equal of Blair/Maniac/Angel.

(The best argument is probably that it's a movie made by and starring Europeans where this isn't the same sort of issue.)

Back