In-Flight Comms in Secret Ops

Daggorath

Spaceman
Hello. I'm having problems with the in-flight comm videos. Sometimes, part of the conversation skips and gets cut off. Has anyone else have this kind of problem and how to solve it? Thank you.

My specs:

Intel P4 3.0GHz
1 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB
SB Audigy 2

What things have you tried already to alleviate the problem? What operating system are you running? Have you tried adjusting the sound card hardware acceleration? Are you running in compatibility mode?

I'm running WinXP SP2 and I selected the Win98/ME compatibility mode. I'll try to adjust the hardware acceleration settings and see what happens.

I was having this problem with secret ops too, but I havent tried it lately. Standoff seems to work just fine though so are you using the highres patch?

Actually I wouldn't be suprised if it was the high-res patch, but only because of the increased demands that the game requires.

Does this problem occur at the start of playing the game or just after a period of time of playing?

I tried the game with and without the highres patch and the same thing happens. There is no telling when the problem will happen because it is different everytime I run the game.

If you tried it without, are you really sure you got it all out with a good fresh uninstall and reinstall? Can you try toning down the resolution to 800x or something and seeing if the corruption occurs less frequently?

Ok I did some testing here. I was running in glide mode (with wrapper) at 1024x768 and exactlty the same problem occured. In short sentences it only played the firstt second of audio.

So I switched to 640x480 and same problem but I noticed that what I thought was a graphical glitch before was the blue ring resizing wrong with highres patch.

NOTE: I think I may know what the problem is with the blue oval. The highres patch is resizing it. Because the ring is aplied by the 3d engine it seems that it probably will display the oval without actualy needing a 3rd party rezize much like the cockpit Somehow the Highres patch is exponentialy increasing the size of the oval as the resolution is increased (this happens in both glide and D3D) This is just a guess but see the screeshot below for details.

Anyway that led me to believe that the Highres patch has nothing to do with the sound issue.

Partial Solution: I put sound hardware acceleration to none and the sound glitch all but disapeared. Turning sound acceleration on and even switching to D3D the problem returned in full force. Even so, with it set to noe it still happened once and a while, but it was more random and space out... like twice per mission as opposed to every line if dialogue. I don't know why this doesnt happen in standoff.

Note the light blue haze... aparently thats the resized oval

Attachments

• SO glide.JPG
    SO glide.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 189
Perhaps with all the editing to the cockpit and the engine itself in Standoff, this problem was neutralized.

I guess this is covered under the sound skipping option of standoff (its probably the same error that causes the movies to play fast forward)?

I tried 640x480 resolution with the high-res patch and the problem still occurs. Even setting sound acceleration to none doesn't eliminate the problem. I may do more testing to see if various settings affects the frequency of the skipping.

I guess this is covered under the sound skipping option of standoff (its probably the same error that causes the movies to play fast forward)?

Exactly. The bug is actually on the sound streamer routines, the video just tries to keep up with the audio when the bug is triggered. This happens far more often during FMV play though, which is why i never ported this fix to WCSO.

However, i have the code handy, so i included the fix and recompiled the main DLL for the WCSO highres patch. You can get it here; unzip it into the WCSO directory after installing the highres patch and the problem should be gone.

I'll be debugging the Glide adjustments more carefully later on.

Mario

Hmm, didn't have a problem before, so I'm interested in the future changes - higher resolutions and even widescreen?!! PLEASE - I need my 1920x1200 WCP/SO/Standoff (please?) fix!

Thanks for all the previous patches, too :)

Back