Impressively Tall South Korean Privateer Added to Collection (October 17, 2023)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Here's a really nifty collectible that Christian Klein has added to his collection. It's a copy of Privateer localized for South Korea. You might not be able to tell from the first frame, but the box is extremely tall! Check it out side-by-side with a more conventional package. The Wing Commander series got a fair amount of translation in South Korea. Here's a lengthy 14-page review of Privateer as well as a local magazine ad. This also isn't Christian's first SK WC game: he's also got a tall box WC4!

FINALLY added a Korean Wing Commander Privateer (SKC Soft Land) to my collection. Look at this huuuuge box. Thanks to Dominus of Exult

--
Original update published on October 17, 2023

I've always wondered how the hell you read Hangul in early 90s video games. The roman letters got kinda butchered to fit into their pixel budget half the time, so I have no idea how they dealt with more intricate alphabets.

It wasn't too common to actually localize western games back then... releases like this would usually be the English release with translated documentation.

Fascinating. I recently sold a complete-in-the-box South Korean version of Strike Commander on eBay - to a buyer who used the Buy It Now option almost immediately after I listed it! I wonder if it was the same person...

It wasn't too common to actually localize western games back then... releases like this would usually be the English release with translated documentation.
That makes sense. I guess things like Ultima never really made it over?

Back