I'm trying to play the DVD version of Wing Commander 4 from the GOG release, but the bindings on my joystick don't seem to work properly.

ChrisFratz

Spaceman
I got the joystick to work following a device from other people on different threads, but I'm having an issue where the only access on the joystick that works is rolling.. And he only buttons are buttons one and two (The trigger and side button on the stick) and the POV hat. But strangely enough The X and y axes work in the menus when moving the mouse cursor around, and when picking my actions in the FMVs, it only doesn't seem to work when flying. I could try switching to the DOS version but I really want to play the DVD version because I was able to get it to output in 5.1 surround sound because yes, the DVD version has surround sound support if you set it up with something like the k lite codec pack.

Interesting, I'm trying to recall when last I played the DVD version of WC, I did complete the game years ago and I used the Trustmaster T.Flightsick X joystick it was working properly I believe Windows 10 and I was testing the game with the upscaled WC4 DVD movies, I have a Thrustmaster T16000m now and everything so far worked including Prophecy, I'm playing WC3 KS edition now with the HD movie patch.

Yeah, at this point I've just resorted to using a 60% keyboard on my lap and just playing the game with keyboard controls. I was doing fine enough and then the game crashed after trying to contact the blue point (I think that's what it's called) ship to get clearance. I don't know why I'm having really bad luck with this game.

I got the joystick to work following a device from other people on different threads, but I'm having an issue where the only access on the joystick that works is rolling.. And he only buttons are buttons one and two (The trigger and side button on the stick) and the POV hat. But strangely enough The X and y axes work in the menus when moving the mouse cursor around, and when picking my actions in the FMVs, it only doesn't seem to work when flying. I could try switching to the DOS version but I really want to play the DVD version because I was able to get it to output in 5.1 surround sound because yes, the DVD version has surround sound support if you set it up with something like the k lite codec pack.
Did you set the control option to joystick in the inflight options menu (alt+o) and remember to hit "save" before returning to the game? This description sounds like that problem. THe game doesn't default to the joystick and the behavior you describe seems consistent with that issue.

I had a problem in WC3 that my Rudder Z-axis roll did not want to work rolling left, right was fine. I reinstalled the game and it fixed itself. very weird.

Back