I'm confused on 3 things...

Ben

Spaceman
First, in Price of Freedom, the captain(Eisen) says when you ask "Why didn't you tell me" "I thought it would be a suicide mission... When the time came you had to make your own choice"

Why is it then, he would rather leave you, Blair, who could do more damage to the Border Worlds and had a better chance of flying to the Intreped on time, with the Confederation then Maniac whom never gets nearly as many kills as Blair, and who takes risks (not good on a suicide mission). I don't understand that.

Also, I just picked up my first Wing Commander Book, but I am seriously confused about the book order, I visited the site and found Merchandise, but nothing about books or the order of. What is the order of books, what came first to last? I picked up <u>Action Stations</u> hoping it is the first of the series (they just met the Kilrathi I believe)

Last, how do you get a better rank? I mean, I'm a Cadet for some reason, even though I know I belong a little higher than that. Exactly how do you "get promoted" to a better rank?!

Ben

You belong to a better rank !!!!
hehe
Go to profile button and look for you post count, you have 29, you must need 75 to go to 1st LT
Check also the FAQ, how to advance in Rank.

Book Order, when they take place in the Universe

1. Action Stations
2. Movie Novel
3. Pilgrim Stars
4. Pilgrim Truth (if it ever gets published)
5. Freedom Flight
6. End Run
7. Fleet Action
8. WC3Novel
9. False Colors
10. WCIVNovel

*Edit*Why do you belong in a higher rank you have been here for little more than a week, I have been here for 10 months, or just about and I am only a captain so why do you think that you derserve to be a higher rank?*edit*

I thought you previously agreed that Action Stations comes last.

I think Ben wants to equate rank with game experience.

If that were the case, Nem, I'd still be a Lt Col. :)

Action Stations is both first and last. It's a story told about the start of the war, but it's told from after Tolwyn's death.

TC

Originally posted by Ben
First, in Price of Freedom, the captain(Eisen) says when you ask "Why didn't you tell me" "I thought it would be a suicide mission... When the time came you had to make your own choice"

Why is it then, he would rather leave you, Blair, who could do more damage to the Border Worlds and had a better chance of flying to the Intreped on time, with the Confederation then Maniac whom never gets nearly as many kills as Blair, and who takes risks (not good on a suicide mission). I don't understand that.

I think there are a number of reasons.

Let's start with "Why not take Blair".
A couple of things apply here. Firstly, the old "don't put all your eggs in one basket". If you are going to make a risky (and it WAS risky - Eisen would have a pretty fair idea that the Lexington would send fighters after him), you leave your 'backup plan' (Blair) behind. You DON'T take him along with you in the shuttle with you. It's probably fairly safe to say the Eisen trusted Blair. He would have known that Blair was someone who would do what was 'right'. Blair is the least likely to attack the Border Worlds (someone who suffers extreme guilt from having destroyed a planet to end a war is going to do everything in his power to not be responsible for starting another one), and the most likely to do what he feels, rather then blindly follow orders (given Blairs rather rocky relationship with Tolwyn). Eisen would definately prefer Blair in command (or at least high up in the chain) of Confed then one of Tolwyns lapdogs. Also, Eisen would need someone to 'return' to once he had gathered sufficient evidence against whoever was responsible. Blair would be very useful for that, as someone whose reputation and standing in Confed would be extremely sound - someone who could challenge Tolwyn.

The real question I want to ask is "why did Paulsen send Blair after Eisen". Personally, I would send someone young, loyal, and with no personal attachment to Eisen. Blair would be the LAST person I would send.

As for "Why take Maniac".
Well, the obvious reason is that when going on a suicide mission, take along a pilot who doesn't care about the risks. There's a lot more to Maniac then appears on the surface (particularly in WC4 & WCP). He may appear brash and boastful, and is certainly 'unorthodox' in his flying style, but he is also brave, (reasonably) trustworthy and the second best pilot in Confed. He also has little like for Tolwyn, Paulsen or the line of command. Maniac knows things are 'wrong' well before he leaves with Eisen, but he still leaves.

... perhaps he also saw this as a chance to break free of the shadow of Blair. Maniac could be the great hero who saves Confed and the Border Worlds from war. Maybe he was upset that Blair also defected ...
maybe I'm imagining things.

Action Stations is both first and last.

A list that comes full circle. You have to love it.:)

You could also argue it doesn’t belong on the list at all, since it’s more on a par with the various game manuals, like Claw Marks, as well as The Confederation Handbook.

My golly. I think you got it!

First, Napolean, I am saying rank should come with experience, I am a newbie to the board, but DEFINATELY not a newbie to the game. Also, whats the "Movie Novel's" name? Is it just "Movie Novel" or what?

TC, so would you learn about what happens in the end of the whole series from the beginning of the first book!?

AzraeL, I never thought of it that way. One thing though, Maniac sure as hell didn't want to die. He smelt something fishy obviously when he tried greeting new pilots. The Blair's Shadow thing is very observant. I wish I thought of that. Like when you become Captain of the Intreped he thinks HE is becoming Captain , but you are which overall becomes disappointing to him. He is always overshadowed by Blair. Wow, good point.

Ben

Originally posted by Ben
First, Napolean, I am saying rank should come with experience, I am a newbie to the board, but DEFINATELY not a newbie to the game.
I'm all for the removal of all the rank crap around here, if for no other reason than to keep whiney little shits from bitching about it all the God damned time.

Re: My golly. I think you got it!

Originally posted by Ben
First, Napolean, I am saying rank should come with experience, I am a newbie to the board, but DEFINATELY not a newbie to the game. Also, whats the "Movie Novel's" name? Is it just "Movie Novel" or what?

It's just Wing Commander. If you look it up on Amazon, it's "Wing Commander the Novel" and can be found here.

Re: My golly. I think you got it!

Originally posted by Ben
I am a newbie to the board
Click the
top_ranks.gif
button. It's at the top of each page.

Originally posted by Nemesis

A list that comes full circle. You have to love it.:)

You could also argue it doesn’t belong on the list at all, since it’s more on a par with the various game manuals, like Claw Marks, as well as The Confederation Handbook.

No it isn't... it's quite obviously a novel. The Confed Handbook is a collected group of reference sources. Claw Marks is the Claw's newsletter/magazine.

Originally posted by Ben

TC, so would you learn about what happens in the end of the whole series from the beginning of the first book!?

You learn parts about the 'suprise' ending of WC4.

TC

I think TC meant that if you read AS before you play through WC4, it will ruin the surprise factor of the game's grand finale.

--Eder

Are you sure? I think that he's found something and is evil and un-willing to share! :)

. . . it's quite obviously a novel.

Sure it belongs with the other novels as a novel. But it’s otherwise a novel within a novel, which creates differences.

Action Stations exists as a published work in the WC universe. The other novels, like Fleet Action, do not. And this is why AS is “on a par”–that is, on the same level–with materials like Claw Marks that also exist within the WC universe.

Likewise as a source of canon, AS can’t be read or treated in the same way as the other novels, because unlike the other novels AS is “really” written by one Colonel Wilhelm Schwarzmont of the Department of Military History, Confederation Fleet Academy. And what Schwarzmont has written is not simply a narrative of history, but by his own admission a novelization of that history.

One of the consequences of this is that when, for example, we read Tolwyn’s dialog in Fleet Action, we can take it as something that he did say word-for-word as though we had been there with him when he said it. But we don’t have this luxury in AS because the dialog is presented to us as largely invented or fictionalized, and so we must be wary of its “truth”.

The bottom line is you can rightly categorize or list AS in more ways than one, but it depends on the context. (On my bookshelf, I put AS with all the other novels. It would just look too out-of-place next to the very tall TCH.:))

Back