I'll never be done with questions. Never!

Yes, they could, theoretically. You could have a gameflow-only mission where clicking on something in a room file would set some sort of variable that would determine what mission you fly next.

Originally posted by Quarto
Yes, they could, theoretically. You could have a gameflow-only mission where clicking on something in a room file would set some sort of variable that would determine what mission you fly next.
I kind of like that idea.
The whole Star Trek idea was just something that popped up. If I implemented it there wouldn't be any fighters and you would probably only face three or four other ships at time, at the most. And they would all be the slower big ships of Trek and nobody would have turrets. That was the idea anyway.
Are ther any newer SO editing utilities out there, I grabbed the Java texturizer and bunch of the others quite awhile back. I was wondering if anyone had brought out anything a little more user friendly, cause I have yet to get most them to work and I think I still need a couple programs to convert my fighters.

Hmm, ship editing utilities aren't really my area of expertise. For mission editing though, there's WCPPas.

For ship editing you should need WCPPas, ModelC, a texture converter, a collision sphere editor, and a hardpoint editor... oh and a tree generator thingie for capships.
Most, if not all, should be available from Thomas' site (else try HCl's, PopsiclePete's, and Killerwave's sites)

--Eder

You know what I need is a Secret Ops GMax game pack. Gmax is built on the same system as 3D Studio Max, but it's file extension is different. Best of all it's FREE!!!!!!!!
I was wondering if anybody has heard of GMax and wanted to try and pull something like this off?
I'm going to try and contact somebody at Discreet and see what kind of work is involved with creating a game pack, so I'll know if I can pull it off on my own. But if I can't go it alone does anybody want to help me?
And by the way at the Gmax website:

There's a listing of the current gamepacks availble and an area where you can request new ones. There's a prearranged list of games as well as part where you can "write in" your own request if it's not listed.

I tried GMax once. Granted, I'm not the world's fastest learner, but apart from a fancy overcomplicated interface, I didn't really see anything impressive there... I'll take my Rhino/Truespace/3D Exploration combo any day. I might have to use 3 different programs, but at least neither of them gets in the way of what I'm trying to do :)

--Eder

I picked up most of the GMax interface pretty quick. I'm still working on learning the material editor and few other things. But as for the basic modeling I'm better at GMax than I am Truespace or Cybermotion 3D, and I use Gmax less than those two.
Anyway I thought it would be nice to have an all in one program for ship creation.
Hey, is there anyway to create hidden navpoints? So when you're cruisning along your patrol route there could be a navpoint in the system that if you know where to click you can go and have some sort of easter egg waiting when you autopilot?

So I could create a hidden navpoint that you could cruise to but you can't selct it and autopilot, right?

Yes and no. The only way you can get to a hidden navpoint is if this navpoint is set to intercept the player - and even then, the player has to somehow fly to that point.

Of course, you can hide and unhide any navpoint, so if you want an easter egg, you can just unhide a navpoint if the player does some particular action.

Originally posted by Shaggy
You know what I need is a Secret Ops GMax game pack. Gmax is built on the same system as 3D Studio Max, but it's file extension is different. Best of all it's FREE!!!!!!!!
I was wondering if anybody has heard of GMax and wanted to try and pull something like this off?
I tried it (was included, along w/ an in-magazine tutorial, in a recent issue of Maximum PC magazine). Either the interface was too complex, or the written tutorial in the mag was a piece of dreck, or both. Couldn't get it to do what it was supposed to do. Was seriously bumming. Argh....

Geez, I don't know why everybody has so much trouble with it.:confused:
I picked up almost all of the controls in very little time. And I've always been able to get it to work properly.

How far can you edit weapons in SO?
Is it possible to recreate something like the Starburst missile? Can you change a missile's appearance, so it might look like a photon torpedo or big pink elephant, with lighting effects.
Has anyone tried pulling this off?

Originally posted by Shaggy
Can you change a missile's appearance, so it might look like a photon torpedo or big pink elephant, with lighting effects.

You haven't seen the big pink elephant missile before?

So if I open that I can change the look of each type of missile?
Can I change the type of "warhead" in the missile, for something like a starburst our even a Mace\nuke?

Back