I'll never be done with questions. Never!

I've actually consider grabbing some video from the game Starfox and isolating some frames of Falco then using Animation Shop to string them together in an avi.
I'm just fishing around for ideas, and I don't own a parakeet. My brother used to have parrot though.:)
When I create capships do the bridge and engines have to be separate meshes from the hull?

Have there been any missions in SO that are scripted so that you start without the carrier, so you don't have to actually take off from the carrier? So you just start in space?
Also, I opened up the Bearcat from the CIC's ships section and converted the Mat files for reference in texturing my Scorpion.

testtexture.jpg
BearcatMAT.jpg

The first image is a basic idea for the section just below the canopy and just behind the tip of the nose, I know it sucks.
What I need to know is am I supposed to create my textures like the converted Bearcat MAT or am I supposed to create basic texture "panels" and then the texturizer creates the MAT like the Bearcat image? And what are the elements at the top of the Bearcat image, are they important?
I just need to know how the whole thing works I guess.

Yes, you can start off in space. As for your questions about textures, the junk at the top of the Bearcat image is simply the left-over stuff from a Piranha texture file that for some reason is here. It's not important at all.

Okay but do I need to create the texture in the shape and look of the fighter, like in the Bearcat image, or do I need to create a set of "panels" that are applied with the texturizer?
And do I need a specific palette for SO or do I just need to abide by the 256 color limit?

It amounts to the same thing, the Bearcat textures are applied to the mesh the same way that "panels" would be.

As long as you're under 256 colours, you're fine. And remember, colour 0 will be transparent.

Just out of curiosity, could I create a transparent canopy or would that slow the game down?

Yes, but it will be completely see-through - as if there was no canopy at all. What you really want is a partially transparent canopy, and there doesn't seem any way of doing that at this stage.

Is there more than one method for converting ships to the Vision engine, the question includes texturering and everything after the actual model creation. If there is more than one which would be the best system, for a beginner like myself.
Am I right in assuming that the WC3-P Kilrathi fighters are built into SO? What about the Razor, is it already availble in SO?

If KillerWave's tutorial doesn't answer your question, I really can't help... I don't even know where to begin when it comes to ship conversion.

The only Kilrathi fighters in SO are the Dralthi and the Vaktoth. The Razor also isn't in there - only the Thunderbolt and the Excalibur, as far as pre-WCP Confed fighters are concerned.

Looking at Killerwave's tutorial, I'm thinking I may have to recruit somebody to do the textures. I was just kind of wondering if there was more than one system.

How are destroyed capships handled? Are the only changes in the textures or does it require a new "damage" mesh.
Is there a SO version of the Razor available for download?

There's a damage mesh for each component. It's generally the same mesh again, but with a different texture applied to it.

Originally posted by Shaggy
How are destroyed capships handled? Are the only changes in the textures or does it require a new "damage" mesh.
Is there a SO version of the Razor available for download?
Only the components get destroyed. However, in addition to having destroyed components, the game will generate a small explosion at every hardpoint on the ship. So, while you will obviously need at least as many hardpoints as you have turrets, extra hardpoints are useful for ships which can be expected to die.

For the Razor, check HCl's page and the CIC's SO Ships section. If it's not in either of those two places, the answer is negative.

What I am wondering is if the destroyed compnents change their mesh or their texture after they are destroyed?

Back