I'd buy him a beer

8576_20ted_captain.jpg

I don't have enough knowledge about the incident (Jane Fonda’s visit to Vietnam) to have an educated view about it. However while in general I would more agree to the anti-Vietnam movement going into the warzone to do propaganda against your own people and for a (at best) questionable regime is mightily sick.

A few years back, Jane and Ted went to some world famous steakhouse in Montana (which I can't recall the name of at the moment) and the management politely told them that they were not welcome there and asked them to leave.

Dyret said:
He did the right thing.

I'm not sure I'd say that he "did the right thing". Was it deserved? Probably... there are those who would debate it. As a member of the military, I think that she crossed the line. I suppose that in every legitimate sense of the word she had the right to, but I suppose it's another's right to excercise their freedom of speech against her actions, as well. Spitting, might be crossing a line, but I bet he made his point... and it's not like he did anything to hurt anybody. But I just don't know about the "right" thing.

FlashFire82, there are many who would argue that what what Ms. Fonda did during the Vietnam War was treason, not an exercise in free speech. It's a pity she wasn't prosecuted for it at the time.

Treason or no, her actions are entirely indefensible. I think it's the height of irony that she was spit upon while trying to do so. What Mr. Smith did is illegal, but it's the least that witch deserves. Cheers to him.

FlashFire82 said:
I'm not sure I'd say that he "did the right thing". Was it deserved? Probably... there are those who would debate it. As a member of the military, I think that she crossed the line. I suppose that in every legitimate sense of the word she had the right to, but I suppose it's another's right to excercise their freedom of speech against her actions, as well. Spitting, might be crossing a line, but I bet he made his point... and it's not like he did anything to hurt anybody. But I just don't know about the "right" thing.

I was just thinking that walking in and scream: I don't like you, Fonda" would be a bit mild, while assaulting her would be a bit extreme. I think he found the rigth balance. Although i have always found spitting disgusting.

Spitting is pretty disgusting

Maybe he would have been better throwing some Tomotoes or something

Tomatoes at point blank range? As fun as that would have been it would have probably left a pretty good wallop which I don't think was the intended goal of this vet. My personal opinion about what Fonda did should have resulted in the revocation of her American citizenship. But then...that's probably why I'm not in the government.

Back