Iconic fighter?

in any case, it sure seems like the original Dralthi was just plain more memorable than its later versions.

Yeah. I get the feeling that the Dralthi became less and less iconic after WC2. It hardly seemed iconic in WWCP at all.

"Kilotons" and "Megatons" in real life mean how many tons of TNT is the warhead equivalent, IIRC. So it isn't necessarily connected to nuclear weapons. Of course, AFAIK, nowadays, only nuclear weapons are powerful enough to merit all those Kilotons and megatons.

I'm not sure if everyone is thinking of the word 'icon' in quite the right way -

It just means 'image' or conventional or sacred image, and I think that the 'iconic fighter' that this thread is talking about is just the one one on the box or documentation of each game.

It should be noted that while the Drakhri and Dralthi are obviously not the same ship, they both have the unforgettable bat-wing shape. There is a Dralthi or Drakhri on the boxes of WC 1, 2 and 3. It is in every WC game, in the movie, and the mainstay Kilrathi fighter in the TV series. So, that really is the "Iconic fighter" of Wing Commander.

SO THE ICONS OF WC HALL OF FAME

WC1: Dralthi
WC2: Drakhri or Concordia (not a fighter)
WC3: Dralthi or Longbow (Excalibur as well, counting documentation)
WC4: Banshee and Dragon
WC P: Vampire

Privateer: Galaxy
Armada: Arrow
Academy: I have no idea - Drakhri?

Again, it is pretty obvious that the Dralthi is THE wc ship - like x wings and Tie fighters are THE sw ships.l

It should be noted that while the Drakhri and Dralthi are obviously not the same ship, they both have the unforgettable bat-wing shape. There is a Dralthi or Drakhri on the boxes of WC 1, 2 and 3. It is in every WC game, in the movie, and the mainstay Kilrathi fighter in the TV series. So, that really is the "Iconic fighter" of Wing Commander.

As LOAF said early on in this thread, lots of Kilrathi ships have bat wings. Sartha, Grikath, Jrathek, Gothri, etc. If you want to give the nod to the Dralthi, that's great, but Drakhri is a separate fighter.

Academy: I have no idea - Drakhri?

The Dralthi is more prominent in Academy than the Drakhri...

The Tiger's Claw. Hard to argue against her. Old, battered, but still in the fight. More importantly, the first ship one flies off of in the Wing Commander series. No matter that the Concordia, Vesuvius, or Midway are far more powerful. I'll always have a fond memory of the Tiger's Claw.

Back