Iceman's Pistol

Originally posted by Wedge009
What purpose would personal firearms have for pilots to hold them on a carrier, anyway?

Not like everyone hasn't already had a shot at this...:p

Apparently, the Second Ammendment to the Constitution of The United States survived in the Wing Commander universe at least until Privateer 2. (Not that I think that P2 is WC universe...) But at the beginning of RF, the Privateer threatened the "Tin Idiot", and not with his good looks. Also, in Privateer, Masterson(?) made the comment that"students don't do research armed" or something like that.

Not to mention everyone and their brother running around in armed ships.

As far as Iceman goes, 'tis better to be armed and not need to be, than not be armed and need to be.

Originally posted by Preacher
Ruger?

Interesting that that name came up. I have recently found myself in the posession of one of these. Unfortunately, however, I only received it after the loss of a treasured loved one. It's one of my favorite pistols.

Originally posted by TheFraix
I remember about expert pilots ejecting their vehicles and can quickly take control of any allied land vehicle and increase their veterancy.

C&C Generals? :p

Originally posted by Ripper
But at the beginning of RF, the Privateer threatened the "Tin Idiot", and not with his good looks. Also, in Privateer, Masterson(?) made the comment that"students don't do research armed" or something like that.
You forget that Grayson Burrows is a private citizen, not a member of the armed forces - he can make up his own rules.

Anyway, I know pilots had firearms with them in the cockpit in the case of ejection, etc, but aside from the good point on being boarded on the carrier, I didn't think they'd be necessary. Marines are always good for boarders, anyway. :) (Remember the huge guns the soldiers who were guarding Jazz at the end of WC2?)

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
...my favorite pistol is the Nintendo Zapper that came with Duck Hunt...
I still have one of those. :) And I still use it whenever I feel nostalgic enough to drag the ol' 8-bit box out - IIRC, I reached several into 'perfection' (no misses allowed) before losing. But I suppose that was only at 2 metres, shooting at a tiny thirty-something cm TV.

Yep, that's the guy's name. I think it's from Origin's first Privateer announcement (back when they were still calling it "Trade Commander" or somesuch).

--Eder

It is. And that announcement (you can find it in a CIC news update on March 31st... 2000, I think) sounded a great deal better than the final product, too :p. But that's par for the course, I guess, games always have to cut down a bit during production.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I still have one of those. :) And I still use it whenever I feel nostalgic enough to drag the ol' 8-bit box out - IIRC, I reached several into 'perfection' (no misses allowed) before losing. But I suppose that was only at 2 metres, shooting at a tiny thirty-something cm TV.
Great gun. I actually opened one up and fixed the IR/trigger connection just so I could play with it again. My favorite pastime with that game was turning my back to the screen and firing into a mirror to take out the ducks, great fun and difficult (try holding the gun in one place and using a hand mirror to track the ducks :) Tough stuff )

C-ya

Back