I got some wierd questions...

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
I feel like I'm losing all track of time...

Okay... According to IMDB.com it says that Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon was released AFTER "Scary Movie"...

Hidden Dragon was released on December 8th, 2000, and Scary Movie was Released in September 2000.

Yet Scary Movie had special Effects from both the Matrix and Crouching-Tiger... they were spoofing a movie that wasn't made yet!

And I remember the theater going wild when they saw the Crouching-Tiger Special-FX...

How did that happen? Or am I missing something?

-Concordia
P.S. Yes, I know this is stupid, but it feels like my brain's falling apart... I'm losing track of time and forgetting dates and stuff. I feel like I'm going senile, except I'm only 25... What the F__K is wrong with me?

Ah geez...some things just aren't worth discussing. Replace "I got some wierd questions" with "I got some stupid questions."

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Ah geez...some things just aren't worth discussing. Replace "I got some wierd questions" with "I got some stupid questions."

I know it's wierd, but i really want an answer because I feel like I'm going insane because I can't remember which events happen first.

I'm just losing my mind... this is just one of many examples. Can you guys just help me out?

-Concordia

According to IMDB, Crouching Tiger was released in the USA in December. However, the film was first shown at Cannes (16 May), and the Malaysian premiere was 30 June. It's generally a very bad idea to assume that a movie doesn't exist at all until it's shown to an American audience :).

Mind you, Scary Movie was released in the US in July rather than September, so I suppose your question still stands. The answer is that there was nothing especially original in Crouching Tiger's special effects. Crouching Tiger may have had higher production values than most other movies of this type, but its special effects were not the least bit special. Presumably, Scary Movie (which I haven't seen) was spoofing this type of effects in general, and not Crouching Tiger in particular.

Originally posted by Quarto
According to IMDB, Crouching Tiger was released in the USA in December. However, the film was first shown at Cannes (16 May), and the Malaysian premiere was 30 June. It's generally a very bad idea to assume that a movie doesn't exist at all until it's shown to an American audience :).

Mind you, Scary Movie was released in the US in July rather than September, so I suppose your question still stands. The answer is that there was nothing especially original in Crouching Tiger's special effects. Crouching Tiger may have had higher production values than most other movies of this type, but its special effects were not the least bit special. Presumably, Scary Movie (which I haven't seen) was spoofing this type of effects in general, and not Crouching Tiger in particular.

Actually, I remember the theater going wild at Cindy running across the walls... they all knew!

When did the COMMERCIALS start for Crouching-Tiger?

I had a thought. If all three movies were released by the same company, then that probably meant that they decided to throw in the referrence (I prefer referrence as opposed to spoof, as some of them arn't satire. Tony Soprano appearing in a film about the Mafia, for example) for those who watch the movie later on video.

Matrix was released before Scary Movie in the US. It was spoofing that; as for Crouching Tiger, that was out almost a full year in Asia before Scary Movie. Not to mention, string-based stunts have been done for many years in asian martial arts movies.

Tomb Raider?? That's not an Asian movie. They've been doing stunts like those shown in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for god knows how long in Asia. I remember them from when I was 10 yrs old. Though they are much better executed nowadays.

Originally posted by LeHah
Matrix was released before Scary Movie in the US. It was spoofing that; as for Crouching Tiger, that was out almost a full year in Asia before Scary Movie. Not to mention, string-based stunts have been done for many years in asian martial arts movies.

Are you positive? Can you give me an exact date on the release in Europe?

-Concordia

I have never read anything else before so unimportant and bizarre as this thread. And I didn't know that out there will be people who not only care, but actually known all of this not practical info. But I like that, in my personal opinion, it's a sign of how the western culture do have a lot of crap but at least, it's still interesting.
At least you're not talking about reality shows :)

By the way, the string tech in action movies was invented by chinese directors and they try to simulate manga and ova stuff like the Dragon Ball fights. And they have done it quite well.

Back