I am Hopeless

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
I've been playing Privateer, and while I enjoy it, i've had some questions I can't answer:

1. Can you actually buy a Drayman?
2. How does an ECM Package work?
3. How do you use a tractor beam?
4. Does anyone use anything besides Tachyon Guns?
5. Why does your character look like Patrick Swayze?
6. Why is it that my Centurion has problems fighting 3 talons at once?
7. What is the advantage to having more than one missile launcher?
8. Do you ever have to use torpedoes?
9. What does upgrading your radar system do?
10. Why is there a garbage chute behind your seat in the Centurion?

I'll do what I can, I am hopelessly outta date when it comes to this Priv 1

1. NO
4. I used a plasma/tachyon combo (2 & 2), then 4 fissions in Righteous Fire.
5. So he can get all the chicks. You are, as usual, the most badass pilot in the sector. But sometimes even that isn't enough.
6. I have never had this problem. Try more afterburner, or just take quick hits on your targets and then evade. Don't stick to one target's tail for too long if he has friends around.
7. and 8. I never used missiles much. The torpedo launcher was good for taking out draymans quick if there were militia around.
9. Makes identifying everyone around you quicker and easier. The best is a color version roughly similar to every other WC game.
10. Ever wonder where astronauts go #2?

Sorry I couldn't answer all of them, and I'm sure I could be wrong on all these anyways.

1: no
2: it's always on, it decreases the chances of you getting hit with a missile
3: select it with 'w,' target some ejected cargo, and press enter
4: no
5: maybe someone had a crush
6: Problem between the chair and the monitor? ;)
7: launching more than one missile at once. With two launchers, you can fire twice before having to wait for it to reload. Also you can carry twice as many missiles
8: no
9: lets you lock on to targets, gives you a lead indicator, differentiates between friends and foes
10: I assumed it was a door that led to the rear turret or similar

re: missile launcher count

With double launchers, you can fire off a pair of them quickly at a Talon, while visually tracking another opponent to engage with guns. 2 ImRecs will kill a Talon, with very little chance of missing, which allows you to easily (well, "easy" depending on how well you shoot guns without ITTS, since you have to maintain lock on the missile target) take multiple Talons. Or, alternately, just fire the missiles "over the shoulder" and run, waiting for the missiles to take care of the target.

(But that's not as fun as thumping multiple bandits [no, not of the LOAF variety], IMO. :) )

Early in the game, when you're not at full strength, Death's 'over the shoulder' method is very handy for keeping hostiles off your back while you tangle with each one in turn.

Each radar upgrade does very specific stuff. The manual pretty much explains it.

The Iris range are all grey, the Hunter series are blue\red friend of foe coloured, the B&S series are full colour. In each series the cheapest has no target lock, the middle one has target lock and the third has target lock and ITTS. Chance to identify target per second also increases with the more expensive models (but is fairly pointless, of course, since it's easy to tell what a target is by its VDU image).

I'll just answer one, I found Proton Torpedoes to be a much enhanced replacement for DART DF missiles. For only 25 credits a pop (if memory serves me correctly) you could load up on them and if you struck a Talon/Demon with them it was usually fatal. Torps also helped taking on Kamekh in some of the Kitty sectors.

Back