Hyperspace - It is real!

Indeed it would be...but even if it is, will probably be a century before it becomes an everyday reality. :(

Maj.Striker said:
Indeed it would be...but even if it is, will probably be a century before it becomes an everyday reality. :(

I dunno... i haven't read the article, but technology has seen more progress the last hundred years than all the years before... maybe we wont have to wait too long.;)

It took clocks centuries to move from the kings courts to the average livingroom.
It took the digital clock decades to move from NASA to the bedroom.
It took computers years to move from wallstreet to the den.
If (very big word ) this plays out , We may see it in years .

Got to admit it sounds dubious...especially when it talks about how every other modern scientists are saying they can't make heads or tails out of it. It's possibly that this guy is just ahead of his time but more than likely it's a stretch.

It certainly looks like a field worth studying, even if only to find out it can't be done.

Cargoman said:
It took clocks centuries to move from the kings courts to the average livingroom.
It took the digital clock decades to move from NASA to the bedroom.
It took computers years to move from wallstreet to the den.
If (very big word ) this plays out , We may see it in years .

I don't think that's really relevant here. Yeah, some technology seems to kinda grow at an exponential rate. That's great, but it doesn't really make this advancement seem any closer.

Yeah. The marketing of consumer good has nothing to do with hyperspace. That would be relevant if the topic was about making cheap, affordable hyperspace engines from the expensive ones that no one can build anyway.

As the text makes clear, before trying to work any hyperspace engines, they would have to unify quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity.

As our pal Richard Garriott readily proves, a king's court is way cooler than a living room.

Also, why doesn't Chris Roberts live in a space house?

Ya know, I read what todays other "great" physicist say (they say it's a stupid idea), and I got the feeling again that its a so damn typical reaction. Thats why I really hate todays physicists. They sit in their 'labs', and tell the rare ones who make some creative thinking to stop, because someone 200 years ago made up some kind of an idea and thats ok (even though it gives the wrong values), cause we don't want to do the thinking again from the start. So they try to make up new "complicated" theories. Thats what modern physicists do... post a new theory about what Can't be done, and your set for life.
Ask any one of them about hyperspace, and at best they'll answer: "what, you mean the one like in Star Wars, oh thats just a stupid sci-fi". They never seem to remember that Laser was just a stupid sci-fi idea too. (and 3d holograms for example, and such stuff. ya know, the stuff thats Impossible for physicists, but everyday work for researchers).
They'll never get the money. Our only chance that they'll prove the theory (wrong or true) is if the military picks it up for a good look. They can get money for anything. The other problem mentioned is that with todays materilas, the main experimental modell they designed probably cannot be built.
Cragoman was right about that the jumps in research is getting faster and bigger. And the consumer stuff itself. The research is eponentially faster. Without research the consumer goods doesn't exist. Just think about the computers, the cars, the materials used. (yeah, you never thought for example that 30 years ago plastic was rare and not a really usefull material hah?) So the point is, it can be done in a few years, they just need to finish the mathematical part of it. Then it's up for the real researchers how to build it and test the idea. And that won't take 30 years for sure.

Hyperspace isn't real for us yet - it's a theory, according to that. They're still trying to figure out if the rest of his theory works, based on the particle mass calculations that were predicted by said physicist. Whether this means they'll actually do antigrav in our lifetimes, or if this ends up being a dead end... well, we'll find out, eventually.

I'm leaning towards the 'dead end' bit for now.

lorddarthvik said:
They sit in their 'labs', and tell the rare ones who make some creative thinking to stop, because someone 200 years ago made up some kind of an idea and thats ok (even though it gives the wrong values), cause we don't want to do the thinking again from the start. So they try to make up new "complicated" theories. Thats what modern physicists do... post a new theory about what Can't be done, and your set for life.
Ask any one of them about hyperspace, and at best they'll answer: "what, you mean the one like in Star Wars, oh thats just a stupid sci-fi". They never seem to remember that Laser was just a stupid sci-fi idea too.

I understand modern physicists killed your parents and all, but taking science fiction novelties and making them a reality is something that should excite a lot of scientists. If there was actually much to it, I'd think there'd be a lot of physicists interested at taking a closer look.

lorddarthvik said:
They'll never get the money. Our only chance that they'll prove the theory (wrong or true) is if the military picks it up for a good look. They can get money for anything. The other problem mentioned is that with todays materilas, the main experimental modell they designed probably cannot be built.
Cragoman was right about that the jumps in research is getting faster and bigger.

Yeah, that's what I said too. That's what exponentional growth is. But in absolute terms, this kind of stuff is still a long long way away.

The true issue here is , that it doesn't appear that enough of the people
who could make this happen believe it could ,and therefore are not
willing to ( in their minds ) waste time and resources to prove it wrong.

So what are they doing? If they're not working on this, that doesn't mean they're just sitting around doing nothing. Like you said, they're the people most capable of making this kind of stuff happen. If they're that smart, I've got to assume that they also have a decent idea of how to prioritize their work.

Back