how will afterburners work?

Vinman

Vice Admiral
Will the afterburners run off of the energy pool like in privateer or a fuel reserve like in the rest of the games?

If it runs on the energy pool, will we be able to toggle shield strength to provide variable amounts of power to the guns and afterburners?

If it runs on a fuel reserve, will different ships carry different amounts of fuel?

I guess it all should be explained in here and here (unless some changes occured lately). However to be honest I also feel lost in what the afterburners are really about in Pioneer.

Each ship has its own amount of fuel it carries in its tank, the afterburners pull fuel from this. Even with scoops on, you're going to eventually run out of fuel because you're using more fuel than the scoops are taking in. Turn the scoops off and you really run out of gas in a hurry, and won't replenish the supply.

BradMick

BradMick said:
Each ship has its own amount of fuel it carries in its tank, the afterburners pull fuel from this. Even with scoops on, you're going to eventually run out of fuel because you're using more fuel than the scoops are taking in. Turn the scoops off and you really run out of gas in a hurry, and won't replenish the supply.

BradMick

Ok. Then another question: "Is this fuel the same one with the fuel used by your ship in order to execute a jump?"

nope. Jump drives actually have their own seperate 'cylinders' like fuel rods that are plugged into them. There are 4 levels of jump engine, the first level allows for 2 jumps, level 2 4, level 3 6, and level 4 8 jumps. Each jump uses a cylinder, and each cylinder has to be replaced.

BradMick said:
nope. Jump drives actually have their own seperate 'cylinders' like fuel rods that are plugged into them. There are 4 levels of jump engine, the first level allows for 2 jumps, level 2 4, level 3 6, and level 4 8 jumps. Each jump uses a cylinder, and each cylinder has to be replaced.

Interesting idea -- like some kind of nuclear reactor fuel.

Also, if you decide to actually manipulate the fuel scoops, you can approach the jump at different maximum speeds. Level 1 is 1,000 kps, level 2 1,200 kps, level 3 1,400 kps, and level 4 1,600 kps.

this was pulled from the books. What it allows for is you to go through the jump point with a suitable amount of speed built up. The only thing is, you have to be fairly precise in your approach to the jump, you're essentially going to be a missile at that point with no real means for maneuvering yourself accurately. This allows you though to go through a jump with a fairly decent vector, but in getting up to that speed you'll burn a lot of fuel. Its all tradeoffs. Players DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT have to use the scoop stuff if they don't want to. I don't even think timed missions will be around again. The automatic flight model will be the WC version we all know and love, and if you want to do some of the stuff from the book, you can. There are no options for 'this difficulty level' or 'that option on' its all handled in the game. You'll know the difficulty of a mission by the money you're being payed, each one with its own set of how many enemies you may encounter, the chances of encounter, etc...etc.

So just to clarify: The scoops will always be present in the game regardless of whether you want to hit "the scoop key" or not? When you say standard WC flight model, this equates to scoops full open, right?

Sounds good. As you can tell by my post in the "General Ideas" thread, I will definitely be the kind of person that will want to hit "the scoop key." That is definitely the easiest way of making it work for us "sim" people as well as people that want to play the "classic" way.

Back