How to enable cheats in dos box

GaryHart

Ensign
No matter what i do i cannot get the cheats to work for wc1 and wc2 in dox box after i type in wc.exe i type in WC ORIGIN -k and it doesnt work:mad:

After you type in "wc.exe"? WC Origin -k is how you start the game in debug mode.

From what I recall, the 'Origin' argument is case-sensitive. So I don't think 'ORIGIN' would work.

so what you are saying is in dos box just type in

WC Origins -k not "wc WC Origins -k" ???

Yeah, you should not be typing 'WC' twice. WC calls the game, and 'Origin -k' (no s) is the switch that sends it into debug mode. So you would type exactly 'wc origin -k' ... I'm not sure that it's case sensitive, but if it doesn't work all small then try the variations.

To be clear: it's 'wc Origin -k', without the quotes, of course.

DOS is case-insensitive, so you should be able to type 'wc', 'WC', 'wC', or 'Wc'. But the arguments can be case-sensitive, depending on how the programmer handles them. I know for certain that 'Origin' must be typed as exactly that. The '-k', I'm not so sure about, but probably best to leave it as lower-case.

And Madman is right: 'Origin' enables debug-mode (finger-of-death on targets, instant cockpit damage, etc), while 'Origin -k' adds invinvibility.

To be clear: it's 'wc Origin -k', without the quotes, of course.

I tried that with the wing commander deluxe CD version in the command line of wc.exe in the c: /WING directory....I went and fought against the kilrathi...did not work. No invulnerability or taking out of targets.

I do not know if dosbox has anything to do with it or not (Mine is version 0.73) but like I said, it simply did not work. And I typed it in exactly that way in a dos version years ago and it worked fine.

As I recall, the CD version of the game, if you're playing using its installer, will be run through some batch files (.bat) that do not handle the necessary command line arguments. You can either edit the batch file and add in the debug arguments to where it actually calls wc.exe, or you can copy everything to the harddrive, and play from there.

The debug mode with a Deluxe CD-Rom copy of WC and WC2 DOES work in dosbox.

(If you're playing WC2, or its add ons in Dosbox, be certain to run loadfix -1 first, or you will experience crashes in the game flow due to the game not being able to handle actually having all 640k of low memory available.)

As I recall, the CD version of the game, if you're playing using its installer, will be run through some batch files (.bat) that do not handle the necessary command line arguments. You can either edit the batch file and add in the debug arguments to where it actually calls wc.exe, or you can copy everything to the harddrive, and play from there.

The debug mode with a Deluxe CD-Rom copy of WC and WC2 DOES work in dosbox.

(If you're playing WC2, or its add ons in Dosbox, be certain to run loadfix -1 first, or you will experience crashes in the game flow due to the game not being able to handle actually having all 640k of low memory available.)

Well can you give me a step by step of this process? I have never tried it this way before. Usually, I just went to the cmd line of the exe file for the game. I just looked in C:\WING and did not find any .bat files at all!

It would just be a matter of opening "wc.bat" or any equivalent file and finding the reference to "wc.exe" and adding the Origin -k text to the line. Are you running with everything copied over to the hard drive and no CD involved at all?

If running in debug on Kilrathi Saga you want to type it like this: origin -k

In Kilrathi Saga the capital O activates the CHEATER callsign. The Alt Del ship kill I couldn't get to work either but I was unkillable. There is no CHEATER callsign in the DOS versions and you MUST capitalize Origin to use the ship kill cheat with invincibility. Both sets of games are case-sensitive.

So:

Kilrathi Saga batch file edits:
Origin -k : Called CHEATER no matter what callsign you enter but invincible.
origin -k : Just invincible. Not called CHEATER.

DOS command line for WC 1 and 2 respectively (no penalties with callsign):
wc(wc2,sm2,etc.) Origin -k : Ship kill cheat activated (Alt+Del [make sure to have a ship targeted or you'll s'plode your own ship X_X. If I remember Alt+Ins will kill an entire enemy formation.]) and unkillable.
wc(wc2,sm2,etc.) origin -k : Invincible but no ship kill cheat.

What exactly do I have to type in the DOSBOX command line, with the GOG version of wc1. When I open DOSBOX manually from the GOG folder, it starts with Z:\

thanks

Use the "mount" command to add drives. Typically, mount c: c:\

It will complain about saying you shouldn't use the main c: blah blah blah...anyway, change to the drive and run the game from your installed directory/drive. You can also setup any commandline after the [autoexec] line that will...auto-execute any command you specify.

Use the "mount" command to add drives. Typically, mount c: c:\

It will complain about saying you shouldn't use the main c: blah blah blah...anyway, change to the drive and run the game from your installed directory/drive. You can also setup any commandline after the [autoexec] line that will...auto-execute any command you specify.

I thought there was an easier trick to enable the cheats. All this manual mounting typing is a real pain.. is it possible to edit the WC_single.conf of the wc shortcut? instead of launching wc.exe, one could edit it to origin-k etc.

I thought there was an easier trick to enable the cheats. All this manual mounting typing is a real pain.. is it possible to edit the WC_single.conf of the wc shortcut? instead of launching wc.exe, one could edit it to origin-k etc.

Edit using Notepad.

Add this after your [autoexec] line in your .conf file:

mount c: c:\
c:
cd \wc1 (or whatever your directory path you installed the game to, in this example we installed to C:\WC1
wc -Origin -k

Just copy+paste this after the [autoexec] line at the bottom of the file. If it doesn't have one (I don't have the GOG release to verify if it does) create one. Add [autoexec] WITH the brackets.

LOAF was also kind enough recently to repost this old news link despite all his hard work fending off the masses at Cloud Imperium:
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/you-dirty-cheater-august-25-2011.26721/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help so far, but my file looks a bit different. where should I place the -Origin -k exactly?

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@ECHO OFF
mount C "..\WC"
c:
loadfix -1 wc
exit

Thanks for your help so far, but my file looks a bit different. where should I place the -Origin -k exactly?

[autoexec]

@ECHO OFF
mount C "..\WC"
c:
loadfix -1 wc
exit

Inbetween the loadfix line and exit place the "wc Origin -k" command. Sans quotes.

thanks, the following config works now.

[autoexec]

@ECHO OFF
mount C "..\WC"
c:
loadfix -1
wc Origin -k
exit

I removed the "wc" from "loadfix -1" to avoid double launching the game, when exiting the first time

Back