How I converted the starlancer grendel to WC:SO

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
Well, First I played around and converted it to Flight Commander. Then I looked back at the WC:SO Conversion and might as well work on it. The mesh did not work at first, neither did the shipfile, so it was a bit of trial and error for me.

Thought of an excellent idea. Ditched the texture (with the new palette) for a texture converted by Texconv.exe. IT WORKED! But I realized the mesh was too high. Converted it to OBJ with modelc.exe. Fired up Milkshape 3D and did a simulation of how I was going to translate it. Wrote it down. I goofed up on 3Dwin5 (translating it 2.5 positive, was supposed to be negative), making the model even higher. Then I translated the model -2.5 twice. Exported it, converted it with Biturn to LWO and did an lwo2wcp conversion. Fired up WCP Pascal and compiled the mesh script, which actually contains the mesh. Made a new ship script based on a decompiled one. Then the model was where it should have been, thank goodness. But there was no texture on the model. I decided that it was enough work I had done just trying to figure out how to get it working properly.

That was not the exact story of how I got it to work, but it's all I can remember. My ideas may not be connected well, but if you ask me, I will try and answer as best I can.

Best wishes to all,
Kevin Caccamo

Back