How do I dodge missiles?

Vinman

Vice Admiral
I've gotten used to dumping chaff and making a hard turn in the general direction of an incoming missile, thanks to the more recent WC games, and for the life of me, I can't remember how to dodge missiles in the first installments of the series. Am I really supposed to switch weapons to that chaff pod in combat? What do I do after a drop it? What if I don't have one to begin with?

In WC1, my approach for dodging missiles is...I don't bother. They never seemed to do all that much damage to a fully shielded ship, and (unless fired right on my tail when I happen to slow down) never seem to hit me anyway. When I actively want to ensure that they don't hit me, I generally towards them, get them in front of me (but not directly in front) and tap my burners as they try to close on me.

In WC2, I generally used the same tactics. The one chaff pod you get generally was too hard to switch to while a missile was bearing down on me, and the only time that you can't maneuver to avoid a missile is when you're on a torpedo run (and in that case, you can't switch missiles to drop the chaff pod anyway, because you lose your lock!)

I usually AB away and try to turn so that the missile can't follow and ends up just going off into space.

It's been some time since playing the old ones, but I'm pretty sure you can actually outrun them flat out in WC1.

Yeah, I remember that, too.

Reminds me of something "heroic" (aka stupid) I did in WC3. I didn't manage to shoot down the skipper missile the first time I flew the mission, so I saved the Victory by... well... basically, I just crashed into the skipper while it was decloaking, right in front of me. (It wasn't far away from the carrier, perhaps 200m)

I've gotten used to dumping chaff and making a hard turn in the general direction of an incoming missile, thanks to the more recent WC games, and for the life of me, I can't remember how to dodge missiles in the first installments of the series. Am I really supposed to switch weapons to that chaff pod in combat? What do I do after a drop it? What if I don't have one to begin with?

Afterburning should do the trick against missiles in WC 1/2 since the missiles are slower than you.
Also, IIRC, pressing ALT+Enter releases a Chaff Pod in WC 2 without having to switch via "w".

Yeah, I remember that, too.

Reminds me of something "heroic" (aka stupid) I did in WC3. I didn't manage to shoot down the skipper missile the first time I flew the mission, so I saved the Victory by... well... basically, I just crashed into the skipper while it was decloaking, right in front of me. (It wasn't far away from the carrier, perhaps 200m)

I thought that was instant death for your fighter to do that?

wait until it is right next to you, break hard right or left and punch the afterburner while hitting the electronic countermeasures button, that usually works for me.

Back