How do fighters manuver?

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
how do fighters and bombers manuver in WC? I know caphips have thrusters placed around the ships but are fighters large enough to have the same?

Pretty much.

maneuveringjets.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
Pretty much.

The Tarsus is more of a merchant ship isn't it?

Anyway, in the books (End Run, Action Stations, Fleet Action) there are references to maneuvering that is dependant on (Hydrogen?) Scoops. Presumably this creates some form of drag or something that allows a fighter to turn. That last part is my own conjecture, though.

Primate,
There is a really good thread on here about how starships move that is quite extensive. Does delve a little into how fighters operate too. In the books though fighters use a mix of the hydrogen scoops and reaction thrusters to operate. Scoops closed for movement between navpoints and such, open them up to drag in hydrogen and create drag, and thrusters for pitch, yaw, and roll.

hey i have a new idea, how about that the ship has some kind of device that sends some kind of gas or liquid out, in front of the ship, that goes around the whole ship, so it moves like in water, and can turn by using wings instead of thrusters. or some kind of force field.

suicider said:
hey i have a new idea, how about that the ship has some kind of device that sends some kind of gas or liquid out, in front of the ship, that goes around the whole ship, so it moves like in water, and can turn by using wings instead of thrusters. or some kind of force field.

That's great, but it isn't the way it happens. Like Primate stated earlier, the books make numerous references on how fighters and capital ships manuever.

Primate said:
The Tarsus is more of a merchant ship isn't it?

It's smaller than some of the ships we fly off carriers in other WC games. All the Privateer ships use those maneuvering jets, so they should be pretty applicable here.

Bombadier said:
Primate,
There is a really good thread on here about how starships move that is quite extensive. Does delve a little into how fighters operate too. In the books though fighters use a mix of the hydrogen scoops and reaction thrusters to operate. Scoops closed for movement between navpoints and such, open them up to drag in hydrogen and create drag, and thrusters for pitch, yaw, and roll.

Cool. Thanks for the info Bombadier. Do you happen to know the name of that thread?

ChrisReid said:
It's smaller than some of the ships we fly off carriers in other WC games. All the Privateer ships use those maneuvering jets, so they should be pretty applicable here.

Good point. It just seemed that that kind of maneuvering in a fighter would use up a huge amount of fuel.

overmortal said:
Super Polymers! Blackfuel! Paint Missiles! George Washington!

Are "Paint Missiles" like paintballs? And if so, do they use CO2 to launch, or that "Blackfuel" stuff?

well, after watching an episode of battlestar galactica, you would see that those vipers have little thrusters everywhere, which make the ship turn very fast.

btw, why cant i insert my avatar pic? is it because george washington wouldnt approve it?

the scoops are used to make the ships perform like an atmospheric craft and the maneuvering jets make it more like a conventional space craft.

I think the amalgamation of the two gives us the fight experience we have all grown to love.

Afterburner slide, anyone? :p

suicider said:
well, after watching an episode of battlestar galactica, you would see that those vipers have little thrusters everywhere, which make the ship turn very fast.

btw, why cant i insert my avatar pic? is it because george washington wouldnt approve it?
I think you have to post 2000 times to get an avatar.

Lt.Death100 said:
I think you have to post 2000 times to get an avatar.

That... Or figure out a way to be particularly useful to the community

Ridgerunner said:
Are "Paint Missiles" like paintballs? And if so, do they use CO2 to launch, or that "Blackfuel" stuff?

It's a reference to a particularly funny episode that occurred on these forums a year or so ago (roughly . . . I haven't kept exact track, and don't feel like looking it up)

Let's just say that an "unfurlable screen" should have been put over the entire subject, but it still makes for fun inside jokes.

Has anyone thought about momentum wheels? Several scifi ships use these to rotate ships along their axes. They also don't use up any fuel (just a rotating wheel).

Back