How Crazy Are You? (May 15, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
As I was afraid, the more obscure choices in our last poll were mostly ignored this time around. And it's no surprise that Spirit's Death and Hobbes' Defection performed so well. We got a significant write-in response in the form of Angel's Death however. Quite a few people found that to be the most emotional scene in the Wing Commander series.

What was the most emotional situation?
Archer destroys Blizzard's fighter (WCA): 2.55%
Iceman finds his daughter alive (SM2): 2.67%
Spirit's death (WC2): 32.42%
Hobbes' defection (WC3): 30.30%
Melek surrenders to Blair (WC3): 9.58%
Tolwyn's betrayal (WC4): 19.45%
Sheol overrun by Retros (Priv): 3.03%
Total Votes: 1650

Our new poll asks about the monetary investment you've made in the Wing Commander franchise over the last fifteen years. We had to just pick one form of currency to represent the options, so feel free to convert your figures if you live outside the US. We thought about asking the value of your Wing Commander collections, but that can be a tricky business. Some games have declined significantly from their original price while others have gone up, and all Wing Commander merchandise changes in value over time. So to make it simpler, this week we're asking how much you've spent on the series as a whole. If you have the main set of games and a few novels, you might be in the first couple brackets. Other people might also have a complete ccg collection and some especially rare Wing Commander stuff from eBay, which has pushed them into a higher range. And still others make annual trips around the world to dress up as Confed pilots and party with other Wing Commander fans. What category are you in?

--
Original update published on May 15, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Third bracket for me, since I've purchased every single game in the series sans Kilrathi Saga. I do need to join you gentlemen up at Dragoncon at least once in my life, however. Are flight suits still for sale?

I've purchased the five games (floppy version for WC1, WC2, Secret Operations and Secret Missions, CD version for WC3, WC4 and Prophecy). I averaged the single cost at $30 each, and thus voted for the 101-250 range, but I could have probably chosen the third possibility...

I've been offered Privateer. So, if I'm not mistaken, I only lack Righteous Fire...

I purchased WC1+2 CD, WC3, WC4, WCP, Privateer 2, WC4 DVD Version and two WC3 Hint books (that was before the internet made those unnecessary).

I plunked myself into the 250-500 dollar slot.

I currently have in my possession WC2 deluxe CD; WC3+4 PSX; WC4 DVD WC Prophecy, (And I Have secret ops on disk which I downloaded during its initial internet release, so do I count my dial-up ISP fees?) Also I have Privateer Gold CD (includes RF), and WC movie DVD. Obviously I have a couple holes to plug in my collection yet. However Armada CD is in the mail and should be here any day.

Hardware wise I pretty much spent 100 dollars on my wingman extreme joystick, pretty much just to play wing commander with. As well, WC4 was the Deciding factor in the purchase of the creative encore dvd-rom package with DXR2 card. I'm pretty sure Prophecy was the reason I bought our first true 3D video card (an ati all in wonder with tv tuner (should have bought a 3dfx card at the time, oh well) I played through prophecy in software mode to start with and was blown away by the difference when we installed the card. I bought a second hand PS1 for 50 bucks just so I could play The PSX versions that I had added to my collection for novelty sake.

Hard to say for this question. When inlcuding ALL hardware that I bought (including the PCs) for WC then I'd probably fall into the highest category. When including only the software, merchandizes and peripherals it would be somewhere in the region of $1000+.
If deducting periperals it would be either 500-1000 oer 1000+ depending on current euro dollar exchange rates :-P

$1001 to $2500.
Spent 800$ for 8mb of RAM for my 486 once, to play the game more smoothly. :) Plus the various games, books and the movie DVD.

AD said:
However Armada CD is in the mail and should be here any day.

Yay! It just got here. Now I need to install it and It'll be 1994 all over again!

Hey, I just noticed this topic...

Anyhow, my collection has grown a decent bit since thost photos were taken a year ago, but here is the complete list of what's in the photos and then some:

Super Wing Commander 3D0
Wing Commander 3 3DO
Wing Commander 3 3DO
Confederation Handbook Book
False Colours Book
Fleet Action Book
Freedom Flight Book
Heart of the Tiger Book
Pilgrim Stars Book
Privateer 2 Guide book
The Price of freedom Book
Wing Commander 3 guide book
Wing Commander 4 Guide book
Wing Commander I & II: The Ultimate Strategy Guide Book
Wing Commander Movie Soundtrack CD
Wing Commander Movie Soundtrack CD
Wing Commander: Prophecy Soundtrack CD
Movie T-shirt Clothing
Wing Commander DVD
Prophecy Advance GBA
Prophecy Advance GBA
Prophecy Advance GBA
Prophecy Advance GBA
Super Wing Commander MAC
Origin Pak (WC 3, System Shock, Biofoge PC
Privateer 2 PC
Privateer 2 Deluxe PC
Privateer Righteous Fire PC
Ultimate Sci Fi Pack (Prophecy, Dune 2000, Blade Runner PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander PC
Wing Commander 1 + 2 Deluxe Editions PC
Wing Commander 1 + 2 Deluxe Editions PC
Wing Commander 1 Deluxe + Ultima VI PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 PC
Wing Commander 2 Deluxe + Ultima Underworld PC
Wing Commander 2: Deluxe Edition PC
Wing Commander 2: Special Operations 1 PC
Wing Commander 2: Special Operations 1 PC
Wing Commander 2: Special Operations 2 PC
Wing Commander 2: Speech Pack PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3 PC
Wing Commander 3: Premier Edition PC
Wing Commander 4 PC
Wing Commander 4 DVD PC
Wing Commander Deluxe + Ultima VI PC
Wing Commander IV PC
Wing Commander IV PC
Wing Commander: Academy PC
Wing Commander: Academy PC
Wing Commander: Armada PC
Wing Commander: Deluxe Edition PC
Wing Commander: Privateer PC
Wing Commander: Privateer Speech Pack PC
Wing Commander: Prophecy PC
Wing Commander: Prophecy PC
Wing Commander: Prophecy Gold PC
Wing Commander: Secret Missions PC
Wing Commander: Secret Missions 1+2 PC
Wing Commander: Secret Missions 2 PC
Strike Commander + Privateer PC
Privateer 2 PC
Wing Commander 3 PSX
Wing Commander 4 PSX
Wing Commander Sega CD
Wing Commander SNES
Wing Commander SNES
Wing Commander Secret Missions SNES
Blair in Flight Suit Toy
Kilrathi General Toy
Kilrathi Pilot Toy
Marine Blair Toy
Wing Commander VHS

I haven't invested any money in Wing Commander at all becuase my Dad has bought all the stuff already, if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be writing this reply.

Happy Camper said:
I haven't invested any money in Wing Commander at all becuase my Dad has bought all the stuff already, if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be writing this reply.

So what happens when you move out?! :)

I hope your dad has two of everything.

Happy Camper said:
Haven't you heard of a CD re-writer?

If you really like WC, do what's proper and buy them off ebay for a couple o' pounds each.

I suppose I could, but I don't really see what's so unreasonable about making one copy of a game that has been legally paid for already, and is unlikely to played by two people at the same time. I don't believe in software piracy.

Back